Author Topic: Low salt stock cubes or pots  (Read 1519 times)

Low salt stock cubes or pots
« on: 02 July, 2021, 06:40:22 pm »
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Health and Fitness board, but...

MrsC has high blood pressure and has been told to cut down on salt.
We make a lot of recipes from the Pinch of Nom books, many of which use stock cubes and stock pots. I think the latter are particularly good.
However, they are higher in salt than desired, so we've gone to the Knorr salt free cubes. These are a bit tasteless, to be honest.
Anyone any recommendations for other no- or low-salt alternatives?

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Re: Low salt stock cubes or pots
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2021, 07:03:30 pm »
If you cut down the salt in your food things do taste bland at first. After a few weeks your taste buds adjust and you start to taste the food again — and restaurant food/ready meals start to taste really salty.

Personally I rarely use stock powder, I save the water from boiling veg and use that instead of the liquid in a recipe. Carrots and cabbage are especially good. If don’t have any or you want more flavour then some parsnip heads and carrot tops boiled in the minimum amount of water with parsley and a pinch of cumin or cinnamon stick is good.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2021, 07:18:36 pm »
I switched to Kallo low salt ones years ago. I like them.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Low salt stock cubes or pots
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:23:28 am »
Another vote for Kallo. I vaguely recall lower salt was part of the reason we swapped to them (also years ago), but they’re miles better than Knorr anyway.

Also look at Marigold - I use their vegetable bouillon powder a lot. I’m not sure about the salt content though - will check later when I’m home.

ETA: just had a look online - neither are low salt (except the specific low salt versions), so I must be misremembering, sorry.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2021, 10:10:12 am »
Another vote for Kallo. I vaguely recall lower salt was part of the reason we swapped to them (also years ago), but they’re miles better than Knorr anyway.

Also look at Marigold - I use their vegetable bouillon powder a lot. I’m not sure about the salt content though - will check later when I’m home.

ETA: just had a look online - neither are low salt (except the specific low salt versions), so I must be misremembering, sorry.

The low salt marigold is very good, though. I keep a tub in the cupboard.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."