Author Topic: facebook beyond the grave?  (Read 1502 times)

facebook beyond the grave?
« on: 03 July, 2021, 12:59:28 pm »
I've just received a "friend" request from someone I know to be dead at the moment.  I'm not really au fait with facebook, having joined it mainly for a specific site.  Can anyone tell me what has happened (some kind of hack?)?  I declined the request although a direct contact in the afterlife would be really handy at the moment.

Re: facebook beyond the grave?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:00:43 pm »
Probably a cloned account. That happens all the time.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:18:01 pm »
Steve, what does that mean?  Is it a way for people to gain information about you?  I'll check on the net, too.

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:31:01 pm »
Someone has set up an account with the same name and nicked a picture for the profile.
If the original account has its friends list set to public, which is the default, the new account can then send friend requests to everyone on that list.
I probably get one of these every other week. And I have been cloned as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:40:56 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  Might that explain a message (in messenger) that I have just received, apparently in response to a message I had sent to someone I am actually a friend with, in which the response contains the known friend's profile picture (which is the one I expect) though the message doesn't seem to be quite the right tone, somehow?  Of course, it may be genuine, just unexpected, I suppose.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:33:58 pm »
Is it possible a family member of the deceased is operating the account to try and make contact with deceased's friends.

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:31:54 am »
I suppose that might be possible, Tony, but I met the deceased's wife in the village today and she knows nothing about it - and isn't on the site herself.  I'm not going to worry about it - just waiting for the message about the legacy that's waiting for me if only I would send my bank details!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2021, 01:51:10 am »
Some friends have also had friend request from someone we know to be dead.
These requests come mostly from hackers & spammers.