Author Topic: 3.5" to 2.5" HDD adapters compatibility  (Read 1591 times)

3.5" to 2.5" HDD adapters compatibility
« on: 20 July, 2021, 10:25:58 pm »
I wish to fit an SSD in a Lenovo IdeaCentre desktop, but having opened it up, find that the adapter I'd got my hands on isn't compatible with the innards of the PC. The fixings for the SSD are standard, of course, & so are those for the 3.5" HDD. The difference is in how the adapter fits the PC. It doesn't have screwholes where the PC does. I can screw the SSD into the adapter two different ways (from the sides & underneath), but as far as I can see neither way leaves me a way to screw the adapter to any of the holes in the 3.5" HDD bay. I presume it's meant for some other bay, or the Lenovo PC is unusual in some way

How can I make sure that any adapter/bracket/whatever I buy will fit? Some claim to be 'universal'. Is that likely to be an accurate claim?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Re: 3.5" to 2.5" HDD adapters compatibility
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2021, 06:57:14 am »
It could be that the adapter you have is designed to fit into a floppy disk bay. How do the holes on it compare to the HDD you've removed?

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2021, 08:18:22 am »
Given that drive mounting screw positions are pretty standard and have been for decades I would suggest that your adapter is the issue here.  I am a fan of Akasa products which I have used in desktop machines for a while now when converting and have yet to find a compatibility issue.

There are many out there though so perhaps look at images and try to compare (not always straightforward) your pc with these.

I tend to use this one as it allows me to replace one drive with two in the available space.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2021, 08:49:11 am »
Thing to watch out for with these adapters is where they position the smaller 2.5" drive.

If it's mounted centrally, then the connector on the drive will not be in the same place as the connector on a 3.5" drive.

If the connection is with a flexible cable, that is not a problem.
However, if it's a slot-in thing with the connector in a fixed position as part of some frame, then it won't work.
I have this issue on my HP microservers, where the drives mount into a removable caddy which slides into the frame of the server.
Any adapter must maintain the position of the 2.5" connector in the same spot as the 3.5" drive it replaces.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2021, 11:24:16 am »
I use these where I need the connectors to line up in the same position as they would do on a 3.5" disk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F3QFKNS

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
Connectors are flexible, so exact positioning isn't a problem. The adapter looks identical to many others advertised online.

I should have measured everything carefully before putting it all back together (pause while kicks self).

The SSD, & a 2.5" HDD I have (removed from a dying laptop & surprisingly wasn't the cause of death), both have 4 holes on the underside & 2 on each side, in identical locations & the same size & thread.

The 3.5" HDD is fixed by 4 screws from underneath.

The adapter has 4 holes underneath corresponding to holes in the 2.5" drives, & 3 on each side which match what Western Digital calls "legacy side hole mounting locations" (https://support.wdc.com/images/kb/2579-771970-A03.pdf). Unfortunately, the bay does not have holes matching the adapter's side holes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:32:49 pm »
Right, I see. So the PC does not have the "legacy side hole mounting locations".

If the PC isn't going to be moved around, I would be tempted to bodge it and only use 1 mounting hole, there's hardly any weight to the SSD so that's a possibility.

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:43:12 pm »
Right, I see. So the PC does not have the "legacy side hole mounting locations".
Correct.

I actually thought of stick-on velcro pads.  ;) The SSD seems light enough.

I use these where I need the connectors to line up in the same position as they would do on a 3.5" disk

Dave, is that fixed in the PC by the 4 holes underneath? I.e. do they have the same spacing as those on a 3.5" drive?

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:27:10 pm »
Correct.

That was another option ;)

Dave, is that fixed in the PC by the 4 holes underneath? I.e. do they have the same spacing as those on a 3.5" drive?
It looks like it from the middle photo

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
Buggrit! Millennium hand & shrimp! Velcro it is!

I thought I had some, & I have. A couple of pads had become dislodged from their backing & stuck to something else, & I could barely shift the buggers. I'm sure they can handle 37 grams (I weighed it) of SSD.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2021, 03:51:17 pm »
Correct.

The six holes on the side and the four holes underneath match a 3.5" drive.

I have seen a couple of the Amazon Renewed "certified" refurbished Dell computers where the new SSD was just hanging on the cables, so velcro will be fine.

« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2021, 06:28:29 pm »
It is - at least so far. Just fitted the SSD, complete with a clone of the HDD (I had one I'd prepared earlier ;) ) & it seems OK.  :thumbsup: Not quite as fast on startup or opening things as the SSD on the new PC, (on which Mrs B is currently watching a samurai drama), but much faster than it was. This old thing (I'm using it now) has been rejuvenated.

Given what you say it looks as if the bracket you recommended would also do, but for the sake of a couple of already owned velcro pads cut to size . . .  I'm glad I remembered I had them & poked around in the sewing tin.