Poll

In what orientation do you most use your Fondleslab

Portrait if possible
Landscape for a preference
It depends how the last app required it
I don’t use a Fondleslab

Author Topic: A question of orientation…  (Read 1301 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
A question of orientation…
« on: 24 July, 2021, 04:07:10 pm »
It’s not about Apple, Android or windows, it’s about your personal preference. Well yes, it is a bit of a first world problem, but I do get irked when facial recognition balks because my hand is in the way.

From that, you probably guess I’m a landscape man.  :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: A question of orientation…
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2021, 04:55:16 pm »
Depends on the slab.

I use my tablet  in landscape (except when I use it to display scores/tabs) and phone exclusively in portrait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:02:09 pm »
Phone usually portrait, unless I'm taking a photograph (which will be landscape as god intended, unless there's a very good reason not to), or watching a video, which I pretty much never do on a phone.

I have a 10" 4:3 fondleslab, and will use it portrait for reading books and landscape for watching video or when the Bluetooth keyboard's attached (or if there's power/headphones plugged in in a position that makes it awkward to rest the lower edge on something).  Otherwise, it's square enough that either way round works pretty well for most purposes.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:48:52 pm »
the phone is set to autorotate so i can do....either

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:50:17 pm »
I prefer landscape but not all apps work in landscape.  Bloody annoying really.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:59:35 pm »
the phone is set to autorotate so i can do....either

The problem with autorotate (apart from connotations of crashing helicopters) is that it does the wrong thing when you're lying on your side.  That's a substantial proportion of my fondleslab use, because if I was going to sit up I could go and use a real computer.

I note that recent androids have acquired a little "do you want to rotate me?" icon that pops up in the bottom corner immediately after you turn it on its side when autorotate is off.  This works quite well.

More annoying are the apps that take photographs but don't understand that you've turned the device the right way round for photographs because autorotate isn't on, resulting in a sideways photograph.  Signal is the main offender.

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2021, 08:09:20 pm »
I prefer landscape but not all apps work in landscape.  Bloody annoying really.
Can get an app to force apps to rotate, even if they didn't properly support it. I'm using Rotation Control Pro for this.
Also lets you set different rotation settings per app.