Author Topic: Garden Weed Burner - Electric  (Read 2390 times)

Garden Weed Burner - Electric
« on: 19 August, 2021, 09:50:21 am »
My mother recently ordered on of these.  https://www.hozelock.com/product/green-power-evolution/    I have some doubts about it's utility but anyway....

It came fitted with a 2 pin plug.   I told her to complain & get one with a UK plug.   They can't supply it , gave her a full refund & told her to keep the gadget. 

I want to replace the plug so it's usable, and also extend the cord as it's a bit short.   

Can I just chop the 2 pin plug off & replace it with something like https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-10a-1-gang-unfused-2-pin-connector-orange/46232   connected to a suitable length of flex with a standard UK plug on the end ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Garden Weed Burner - Electric
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:51:56 am »
Yes.

But do be sure to use the male connector on the gadget, and the female end on the extension...

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:57:33 am »
Used to cut the two pin plug off and replace it with 3 pin. 

All our UK appliances taken to France had to be refitted with French plugs.  Then when they were bought back to the UK vice versa.

I also have some French multisockets with UK plugs and some UK multisockets with French plugs (these are very useful when travelling with chargers and stuff).

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:59:02 am »
..and our weedburner is gas :o  But I am not allowed to use it since Mrs A read all the news about forest fires in Southern Europe.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2021, 10:05:27 am »

I'd have called that a pretty yellow flower not a weed. But heh.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2021, 10:08:20 am »
Weed burners are not that effective really. They kill the top but.............
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2021, 12:41:05 pm »
Weed burners are not that effective really. They kill the top but.............
And you can only use them on a day when the Beaufort scale is showing zero.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2021, 04:36:46 pm »
Weed burners are an excellent way to light bonfires and barbecues.

They're usable against a small amount of weeds, eg. along a seam in some concrete or something.

I remain unconvinced by their merits for more serious weedage when compared to  a) grovelling around with a trowel or dibbler  or  b) liberal application of Agent Orange.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2021, 04:38:51 pm »
I also have some French multisockets with UK plugs and some UK multisockets with French plugs (these are very useful when travelling with chargers and stuff).

Multisockets fitted with IEC C14 plugs:  Just add the regionally-appropriate kettle lead from the kettle lead breeding box.  Or plug them straight into a UPS[1].

[1] Regionally-inappropriate sockets are also a good way to distribute UPS power without anyone plugging a hoover into it.

« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2021, 04:48:26 pm »
Whatever you do please remember that the weedburner will have a significant power consumption suitably thick cable and connectors. I don't think a standard mower extension will be up to the job. And uncoil the cable!

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2021, 05:24:16 pm »
The manual says it's 1600W & the cable used is HO5 RN-F, which doesn't sound particularly heavy duty.     

If using the type of inline connector I linked to upthread there appears to be no indication which way around it should be connected, the plug looks symmetric.  Is this right ?

« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:05:33 pm »
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Feanor

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:12:56 pm »
One of these should work:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/7839565

Not sure it will.
That looks like its for a 90 degree plug, with cable entry from the bottom.
The photo shows a non earthed plug with an in-line cable entry, ie it would need to go through the back of the adapter.

« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:16:11 pm »
The manual says it's 1600W & the cable used is HO5 RN-F, which doesn't sound particularly heavy duty.     

That rating just seems to map to standard-ish flex. The main thing is the conductor size. Make sure whatever's beyond the replacement plug is 1mm2 or greater.

If using the type of inline connector I linked to upthread there appears to be no indication which way around it should be connected, the plug looks symmetric.  Is this right ?

The switch in the device will likely be in one wire only, which ideally ought to be Live, but it doesn't make a lot of difference really unless you plan to take it apart while plugged in. Every other component doesn't care.

The bigger problem is that the burner might be earthed - it has exposed metal parts and the Euro plug shown in the product shot it the type with a third contact for earthing. So you might need the three pin variant of the inline connector.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:17:55 pm »
One of these should work:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/7839565

Not sure it will.
That looks like its for a 90 degree plug, with cable entry from the bottom.
The photo shows a non earthed plug with an in-line cable entry, ie it would need to go through the back of the adapter.

I've just removed one of those adaptors, having finally got round to fitting a BRITISH plug to my drill press.  The pins of the Euro plug point upwards inside the adaptor (assuming it's in its normal orientation when plugged into a wall socket), with the cable exiting either downwards (for a straight Euro plug) or towards the back (for a 90 degree Euro plug).  It's quite a clever design, really.

However, it's bulky and mildly irksome on a drill press.  I wouldn't want one inline on a trailing cable.  The lawnmower plug seems like a good suggestion, unless you'd like the extension lead to be usful for other things, in which case just fit a durable BS1363 plug and socket.

Feanor

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:22:39 pm »

It's not a big deal, but using a polarised connector will keep the switch on the live side.

I've just looked at my Black&Decker electric hedge trimmer, and it uses these polarised connectors:
https://www.designacable.com/black-decker-flymo-replacement-2-pin-orange-flip-top-connector.html

(That's just a random link, not a preferred supplier)

I just googled 'black and decker extension' and took it from there.

Feanor

« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:26:10 pm »
The bigger problem is that the burner might be earthed - it has exposed metal parts and the Euro plug shown in the product shot it the type with a third contact for earthing. So you might need the three pin variant of the inline connector.

I pondered about that, too.
The photo in the OP is not earthed, but other variants show a plug that *might* be.
The product data sheet explicitly shows it is double-insulated, so it doesn't need an earth.

« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:29:44 pm »
However, it's bulky and mildly irksome on a drill press.  I wouldn't want one inline on a trailing cable.  The lawnmower plug seems like a good suggestion, unless you'd like the extension lead to be usful for other things, in which case just fit a durable BS1363 plug and socket.

Yes, it would be a big dangly thing,  that's why I don't just want to stick a 3 pin plug on it & use a normal extension lead.   Little old ladies get tired easily.  And then I get asked to do the weeding....

« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2021, 07:49:12 pm »
You could buy one of these:- https://uk.farnell.com/brennenstuhl/1165430/extension-lead-schuko-black-3m/dp/1306051?st=schuko and cut the plug off and fit a 13 A plug. Alternatively, you could buy this:- https://uk.farnell.com/brennenstuhl/1082050/socket-schutzkontakt-rubber-black/dp/1789577?st=schuko and fit a wire and plug to it.

Edit, Ebay are cheaper for equivalents of those.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2021, 08:00:34 pm »
Used to cut the two pin plug off and replace it with 3 pin. 

All our UK appliances taken to France had to be refitted with French plugs.  Then when they were bought back to the UK vice versa.

We have a couple of english shaver adaptors (square pin male to shaver socket) which cover all our needs for charging stuff on visits to the UK (and running my shaver as well  ;D )

I would have wanted something running off 16A in France. That  is a 16A plug on the device. A diddly 10A plug seems a bit light. It is also not an earthed plug, just the stock item found on french garden electricals. However a 3m lead is long for french garden stuff, most has about 50cm when it doesn't have the extension connector built into the device. I haven't a clue what goes on english garden electricals but in UK that's what I would want to fit.

FWIW I use a big blowlamp/weed burner on a 13kg propane bottle. It's great for melting the soles of your shoes (still haven't got a pair of foundry boots out of the boss) as you forget and walk over hot gravel. It is fairly effective on all the small weed plantlets but forget it on dandelions. A wire brush on a brushcutter is probably as effective on paving and doesn't leave tons of brown burnt moss. Both are useless if there is too much earth near the surface, you just spend your time heating water with a burner! I don't think little electric weed eaters would do a lot unless you really insisted on each weed (but I am willing to be proven wrong). I have wondered about building my own with a hot air paint stripper (which is a bit hotter than 600°!)

« Reply #20 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:40:46 pm »
... as you forget and walk over hot gravel. It is fairly effective on all the small weed plantlets but forget it on dandelions.

You (may) be doing it wrong.

If you've got something like this , you've got best part of 2,000c at full bore. That temperature kills the plant cells dead long before they burn, you don't need them to burn and disappear, all you need to do is wave it slowly and walk away, the soil/gravel shouldn't be getting too hot.

That's not the end of the story, because - pretty much however much you char the ground, it doesn't discourage Those Who Come After, which is why I've reverted to weedkiller for my block paving. 1 maybe 2 applications per year, as opposed to a 4-6 cycle of torching.

And of course, it is Teh Best Thing Evah !!!1! for lighting a bbq, 3 seconds and it's lit, 30 seconds and it's pretty much ready to cook.

« Reply #21 on: 20 August, 2021, 08:01:46 am »
<snip> which is why I've reverted to weedkiller for my block paving. </snip>
Recommendation for weedkiller pls?

« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:21:57 am »
I've had good results with Weedol Pathclear, delivery mechanism is likely more critical. I use a garden sprayer with wand, jet tightened right down, following the lines of the blocks to maximise delivery to the gaps between the blocks. Don't forget that a "good" weedkiller takes time to show results, those designed to show IMMEDIATE!! DEATH TO WEEDS!! have rapid visual browning as a feature above yer actual real long term death.

« Reply #23 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:27:16 am »
<snip> which is why I've reverted to weedkiller for my block paving. </snip>
Recommendation for weedkiller pls?
Rosate 360  or Clinic UP
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: 20 August, 2021, 12:32:13 pm »
Thanks both.