Author Topic: 90's v-brake adjustment  (Read 856 times)

90's v-brake adjustment
« on: 28 August, 2021, 04:17:05 pm »
So mrs-ao's bike has older no brand rear v-brakes, with no balance adjstment screws. Front v-brakes are shimano, with balance screws.  Anyway, one side was rubbing on the rim, and I can't see how to balance them.  The right side (photo) has no spring action for some reason.  The black piece behind the arm has two holes in, for the spring - though one of the hole options doesn't seem to allow the piece to fit properly.

Any ideas?

PXL_20210828_vb1 by a oxon, on Flickr   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: 90's v-brake adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2021, 05:03:27 pm »
It’s the holes to adjust spring tension. So surprised one isn’t compatible.

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2021, 05:04:41 pm »
From memory, when you take the arm off the frame there were three locator holes on the frame mounted lug that you could push the spring into.  This gave a choice of three spring tensions.

I seem to remember having issues back when I off-roaded on those, and usually all that was needed was a strip down, clean, and grease.

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2021, 05:56:47 pm »
Has two spring locator holes, and I can't work out how to get more than a very weak tension.  I can adjust canti brakes ok, but these, no cigar...

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
Maybe try unhooking the spring from the lug near the top of the arm, bending the spring as far as you dare out / down the way, then pop it back in the lug. Crude but it worked for me.

V brakes are a real PITA: balance the two sides nicely on the work stand... ride the bike on the road.... are the two sides still in perfect harmoneee? Are they heck as like.  ::-)

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:45:52 pm »
Sometimes there's a wee adjustment screw, but bending the spring back is the traditional bodge, as Eck says. Do check that it doesn't go so far that it drags the left hand pad towards the rim.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2021, 06:58:31 pm »
As a minimum strip and grease the pivots and try to make the existing parts sort of work.

I would consider "upgrading" to something with adjustment. New or second hand, bad thing is that V brakes are no longer fashionable so new upgrade options are limited and many good second hand parts have ended up in landfill.

Another thing to look at is cable entry pulling the brakes to one side - adjusting (bending) the noodle can sort this.

I prefer cartridge pad carriers rather than overmolded "throw away the set up when you change the pad" versions.

« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:19:33 pm »
Thanks all.   :)   I took the left side off to see how it was configured for the spring tension there.  Re-attached it - v. little tension, so  knew it was something I'd done.  Anyway managed to get right side back on with spring OK, and finally the other side too.  Lubed it it up.  Then as suggested bent the springs to adjust - and it seems Ok now.   First fiddle with v-brakes over.   Have a too-small-for mini-ao Marin MTB in shed with decent adjustable v-brakes, so may transfer if more problems occur.

* I wonder why the spring housing has a hex end - seemingly for spanner attachment?

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2021, 11:07:03 am »
Looks like you're sorted.  :thumbsup:

Sometimes reseating the wheel in the dropout can change the position of the rim a couple of mm, and that can sort out a rubbing brake. This is as simple as loosening the quick release, giving the wheel a wiggle, then properly tightening the QR.

You're right that it's unusual to find a v brake with no balance adjustment screw. Some models have the adjuster just one side, which is all that's needed for balancing the brake. Though it's usually a Philips head screw, some brakes use a small allen head grub screw which can be difficult to see. I'd want to upgrade a brake with no adjuster screw.

Shimano Deore (and better) work nicely and are easy to set up, and they're available at reasonable prices now that almost everyone wants disc brakes.

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2021, 11:27:06 am »
Looks like you're sorted.  :thumbsup:

Sometimes reseating the wheel in the dropout can change the position of the rim a couple of mm, and that can sort out a rubbing brake. This is as simple as loosening the quick release, giving the wheel a wiggle, then properly tightening the QR.

You're right that it's unusual to find a v brake with no balance adjustment screw. Some models have the adjuster just one side, which is all that's needed for balancing the brake. Though it's usually a Philips head screw, some brakes use a small allen head grub screw which can be difficult to see. I'd want to upgrade a brake with no adjuster screw.

Shimano Deore (and better) work nicely and are easy to set up, and they're available at reasonable prices now that almost everyone wants disc brakes.

I've just remembered the tip I gave friends and always used myself when refitting the wheel.  Hold the brakes ON and then tighten the QR to lock the wheel in.  Hey presto, perfectly aligned brakes when you need to use them.