Author Topic: Tell me about sandals!  (Read 1292 times)

dat

Tell me about sandals!
« on: 30 August, 2021, 08:32:21 am »
I have suffered with server foot pain for years and it only got worse riding fixed for the past 4/5years. My issue is that my feet (right more so than left) has kind of spread at the knuckle meaning at that point I get a lot of pressure. If I get wide shoes it normally means high volume and I’ve tried brands like lake and bont but they don’t fit my otherwise slim feet.

In the past I’ve rode road with road pedals (was speedplay, now time) and shoes. I’m thinking of trying mtb pedals (time atac?) and sandals so my feet can spread.. My main worry is about the stiffness of the sole. I see there are basically two options, shimano and exustar.

Any advise would be good.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Tell me about sandals!
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2021, 09:23:39 am »
For the past few years, I've been riding my "touring" bike with old skool toe clips and sandals. These are Merrell hiking sandals with a Vibram sole. Like you I was initially concerned about stiffness but I've found them fine. Flip-flops they're definitely not! I would imagine specific cycling sandals have a stiffer sole again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2021, 09:31:38 am »
I've done many long rides (600K+ weekends, Audax and otherwise) in Shimano sandals on Atac pedals. Never had a problem with stiffness, I wore them because they could drain and dry in summer rains without overheating, and adjustable to take merino socks under sealskinz under waterproof covers to keep my feet warm and dry in sub zero temps.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2021, 10:12:38 am »
The current Shimano sandals apparently have a floppier sole than previous models.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2021, 01:08:17 pm »
Sandals?  To quote Thom Yorke, when I am king you will be first against the wall  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2021, 01:09:31 pm »
In your opinion, which is of no consequence at all.

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2021, 01:33:14 pm »
Sandal convert here. Shimano.
Used with flat pedals outside on rides upwards of 300 km and clipped in on the turbo.
They are the great secret to comfy feet. I live in flip flops or bare feet out this way and the plates of meat have spread like covid.
I haven't done any multi day endurance events in them yet, but do have a 10 day trip in the Pyrenees booked for October and will use them then. Likely with some kind of bootie covering and various socks for the cold at that time of year.
Trail shoes and sneakers were ok for a few hours, but still ended up with foot rub and the softer soles caused issues.
A bit bummed to hear that the new versions of the Shimano sandals now have softer soles.
They are also a massive fashion statement.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2021, 01:37:59 pm »
I'm a Exustar fan and use them all year with a combination of socks and overshoes. I like the covered toes of the Exustar sandals and that they are adjustable. The soles are good and solid / stiff.

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2021, 02:02:56 pm »
I too like Exustar but due to the sole splitting on my last pair after several years use I went down the Shimano route. The Shimanos are ok but not as stiff or quite as comfy. Also the toes are not covered. Will be getting some more Exustars in due course I think.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

dat

« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2021, 02:18:58 pm »
Work doesn’t have an account with exustar but they do with madison. I’ll start there and hopefully it’s good enough, if not I’ll just carry on pouring more money into cycling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2021, 02:21:18 pm »
I didn't get on with the knobbly soles of the Exustars.  I'm still using the older 3-strap Shimanos, which work well (though lack toe protection).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2021, 02:22:33 pm »
They are also a massive fashion statement.
Especially with socks. Add overshoes and they're positively in catwalk territory. Paris, Rome and Marsh Gibbon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Si

« Reply #12 on: 30 August, 2021, 04:08:07 pm »
Exustars for the last four years or so...
....as mentioned, soles feel a bit strange and dimply for first 100miles or so but soon went away for me.
.....can smell a bit at first....sprayed with odour eater spray and cured it.
........when riding in sand it gets under feet and can be a tad uncomfortable but no biggy
............riding on trails with nettles....just say No.
................if you spend the week days wearing shorts and work boots the tan lines round the ankles look silly 😀

Pro.....
...very very comfie
......good for touring as work fine off the bike
..........fast drying after wet conditions
.............aerated footsies
.................have lasted a long time
....................have a tow box unlike some, so protect the piggies (esp when off roading)

« Reply #13 on: 30 August, 2021, 05:04:56 pm »
The current Shimano sandals apparently have a floppier sole than previous models.

'Too flexible' was what put me off recent Shimano SD5 offering - reading some of the reviews etc.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #14 on: 30 August, 2021, 05:09:13 pm »
A fan of Shimano sandals here, have had the old 3 strap version for may years running SPDs.
Have brought a pair of current 2 strap models which have thinner soles and are more flexible and 190g lighter.
Both are excellent for walking off the bike with strongly curved under toe section, nice intrinsic grip but probably not as good as vibram soles(?), not ideal tread for muddy off road walking.
They are different to each other but no problem with either, a lot stiffer than common "sports" sandals so do need the curved front to roll well when walking.
I ride fixed and geared bikes on then.

I also have had a number of mtb shoes which have more flexible (plastic) soles than both sets of sandals and crap grip on hard surfaces.

For the very cold months I have Shimano hiking boots with SPDs (vibram soles) and find they work well for me, but I have been known to take them off and empty the rain out.

My most rigid shoes are Sidi with speedplay specific carbon soles - superb to ride in but death traps off the bike!

« Reply #15 on: 30 August, 2021, 06:59:43 pm »
I have some Keen SPD sandals that I've had for about 8 years. I only really use them for touring so the bendy soles don't bother me that much. They're not particularly comfortable, but then they're not uncomfortable either. The toes are fairly well covered, which I like as I've had experience of being whacked on the toes by stones riding with open toe sandals. That can be somewhat ouchy!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #16 on: 30 August, 2021, 07:05:21 pm »
For the very cold months I have Shimano hiking boots with SPDs (vibram soles) and find they work well for me, but I have been known to take them off and empty the rain out.

I have pair of similar (MT-90 IIRC), the goretex is somewhat redundant as I never managed to stop water pouring in the top no matter how carefully I layered up. Fair weather use only now, when I expect to walk a bit on arrival.

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2021, 10:58:41 am »
Sandals?  To quote Thom Yorke, when I am king you will be first against the wall  ;)

Real peasants of course go barefoot - but it's a bit difficult screwing on the cleats, even if you're flexible enough to see the bolt holes! I haven't yet found a way  :facepalm:

Sandals are great when you start getting misshapen feet, hammered toes, arches doing funny things etc. I wear sandals as much as possible, day-to-day and for cycling. Only real disadvantage, gritblasting the toes when using a brushcutter!