Author Topic: Hamstrings & saddle position  (Read 905 times)

Hamstrings & saddle position
« on: 13 September, 2021, 12:22:50 am »
I changed from an ISM road saddle to a Sella Italia Superflow boost endurance - quite different, and certainly a different position to fit it on the bike…

Anyway, after going round the block twice I went on a 200 (despite being only 100k fit at the moment).  Next day my hamstrings (close to the back of my knees) are really, really sore…

I expected some soreness in general as I’m not fit at the moment, but this is more than that.  I will tweak saddle position, wondering what advice people have as to how to tweak it given the location of the soreness?

(Oh yeah, and I’ll build up the distance again  :thumbsup:)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Hamstrings & saddle position
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2021, 08:59:25 am »
Seems you're overextending your knees, I would try lowering the saddle a bit (or moving it a bit forward). My starting point for saddle tweaking is to set the height so I can place the heel on the pedal with the crank at its lowest position, without overextending the knee. (also, make sure you're not tilting the opposite hip up when you do this)

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:52:51 pm »
Just to say thanks Zed43, dropping the saddle just a few mm did the trick (I've been too paranoid about knee problems from a low saddle that I seem to have got carried away & not noticed  :facepalm:)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2021, 06:46:43 pm »
Glad it was helpful :)

I hear you on the knee problems, I sometimes get knee pain by proxy just looking at (usually Chinese) exchange students having the saddle so low their knees are bent 90 degrees with the pedal at its lowest...