Author Topic: Urgent Apple security patch  (Read 1874 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Urgent Apple security patch
« on: 14 September, 2021, 11:03:26 am »
A public service announcement for those using Mr Job’s finest products, including iPhones, iPads and Macs.
Available for everyone wherever you get your software updates
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Urgent Apple security patch
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2021, 11:12:53 am »
Unrelated to security patch, but in case any Apple users read this I don't know if you spotted this news which hit my radar yesterday.

Apple iPhone risk from powerful motorbike vibrations

This is a public service announcement.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2021, 06:00:09 pm »
Not according to my updater, tho I am on catalina.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2021, 08:03:27 pm »
They don't roll the patches out to everyone and every device at the same time. Mine has just asked to update tonight.

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2021, 09:28:01 pm »
Unrelated to security patch, but in case any Apple users read this I don't know if you spotted this news which hit my radar yesterday.

Seems that could be an issue with any camera with OIS.
I noticed this recently - I was standing at the side of the road, taking a photo, when a couple of loud motorbikes passed by. My lens suddenly started vibrating, and making a weird noise. Switching it off and on again fixed it anyway.

The best option is not too ride such a twattishly loud motorbike. If its damaging your camera, is it also causing nerve damage? How many motorbikers suffer from hand-arm vibration syndrome and tinnitus?
An electric motorbike would have much less vibration...

« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2021, 08:14:59 am »

Seems that could be an issue with any camera with OIS.
I noticed this recently - I was standing at the side of the road, taking a photo, when a couple of loud motorbikes passed by. My lens suddenly started vibrating, and making a weird noise. Switching it off and on again fixed it anyway.

The best option is not too ride such a twattishly loud motorbike. If its damaging your camera, is it also causing nerve damage? How many motorbikers suffer from hand-arm vibration syndrome and tinnitus?
An electric motorbike would have much less vibration...
No evidence that motorbikes cause HAVS.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2021, 08:18:38 am »
Whilst it is good practice to get the patch done asap,

Security experts have said that although the discovery is significant, most users of Apple devices should not be overly concerned as such attacks are usually highly targeted.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:36:35 am »
That’s terrible advice.

It was highly targeted in the past when only a few agencies knew about it. Now it’s out in the open anyone can exploit it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:43:01 am »
That’s terrible advice.

It was highly targeted in the past when only a few agencies knew about it. Now it’s out in the open anyone can exploit it.

It has been out in the open since 7th September. Are you seriously suggesting that your phone is at risk now, 8 days later? I’ll bet you can't let us know what you do for a living.  ;D

ian

« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:50:41 am »
Well, it is a risk, but that they'll bother to surveil your device right now?

Hmm, I'd apply the patch over the next few days, but really – like nearly all of these breathless security issues – nothing to lose sleep over.

There are far cheaper and easier and effective means to hack people's devices and computers already in wide circulation.

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:42:50 am »
It has been out in the open since 7th September. Are you seriously suggesting that your phone is at risk now, 8 days later? I’ll bet you can't let us know what you do for a living.  ;D

Oh FFS. An exploit like this can be used for any kind of scam - not just surveillance. You really really don’t want to be running a phone or tablet or laptop that can be pwned by opening the wrong pdf.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:51:59 am »

Oh FFS. An exploit like this can be used for any kind of scam - not just surveillance. You really really don’t want to be running a phone or tablet or laptop that can be pwned by opening the wrong pdf.

Ah. I see that you haven't read the reports.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:52:59 am »
There's no evidence it is out in the wild, and from what I've read it's difficult to engineer, it's not script kiddie stuff.

So, yes, anyone should be applying all security patches promptly (indeed, use the feature to auto-update, then it does so – mostly – while you're asleep), but it's not apocalyptic.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2021, 02:12:38 pm »
That’s the thing with security issues, they’re rarely apocalyptic until they hit you.
Same advice as ever when it comes to all things security. The expense and effort expended in mitigating a risk need to balanced against the expense and effort required to reinstate the data and devices at risk. As this is a free patch that requires virtually no effort it’s a no brainer to do it stat.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2021, 07:22:21 pm »
They don't roll the patches out to everyone and every device at the same time. Mine has just asked to update tonight.

Did an update check and there were no new updates, hour later updates available.