Author Topic: Shimano Roller Brake Compatibility  (Read 626 times)

Shimano Roller Brake Compatibility
« on: 07 November, 2021, 04:35:54 pm »
Ok, so this is a bit niche so I'm struggling to find definitive information. Hopefully someone can give me a yay or nay - it's that or I just spend the £50 and see what occurs.

I've got a folding bike that has a Nexus 8 internal gear hub - I was planning to get a roller brake to avoid rear rim wear as my commute can be quite grotty. I had some confusion regarding which brakes would fit my hub/frame so I left it for a bit.

Which of course meant that a couple weeks ago when riding home my rear rim split along a good couple inches of the brake track  :facepalm: I know smaller wheels wear faster but these are 24" so only a bit small and they've only done ~3500 miles in my care. I thought the bike was pretty unused before I got it but maybe it had been used more or I just picked some really harsh brake pads...

Anyway, rim kaput (but it got me home) and for now I've got a cheapy single speed wheel in (and that was a whole separate palaver) and am going to get a new rim and relace the wheel.

But brake selection has got me a bit stymied - my hub is an older one (SG-8R20) and the brakes that if officially fits are out of production. Newer brakes only list compatibility with the newer equivalents of my hub.

So my question is how commutative is Shimano's intercompatability?

Because (after perusing several of Shinamo's compatibility documents for successive years) my hub (SG-8R20) works with the following brakes (IM41/50/53/70/73).

And later years show that the subsequent hub (SG-8R31) works with those brakes as well as a bunch more including the IM81.

And the IM81 brake works with the C6010-8R hub. Which in turn (stick with me) works with the C6000 & C3000 brakes. Which are the ones that are currently available to buy.

So, long story long, does that mean that the C6000/C3000 brakes will likely work with my 8R20 hub?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1