Author Topic: Recommend a cheap reliable smartphone.  (Read 1380 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Recommend a cheap reliable smartphone.
« on: 11 March, 2022, 02:24:48 pm »
MrsL wants to get a smartphone.  I know nothing about them because I'm not the least bit interested in having one so tell me, what's the cheapest, most reliable set up?

Usage will probably be low  / intermittent.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommend a cheap reliable smartphone.
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2022, 02:31:44 pm »
Like any computing device, too cheap may be a false economy.  What does she actually want to use it for?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2022, 02:39:54 pm »
Probably the cheapest way into a reliable smartphone would be an apple refurb iPhone SE. It’s that or the law of diminishing returns on looking at various older Android models.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2022, 06:07:37 pm »
Probably the cheapest way into a reliable smartphone would be an apple refurb iPhone SE. It’s that or the law of diminishing returns on looking at various older Android models.

FSVO “cheapest”.  I bought a brand-new Moto G10 a couple of months ago for less than half the price of the cheapest refurbed JesusPhone offered by the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2022, 09:30:56 pm »
Quote from: Kim
Like any computing device, too cheap may be a false economy.  What does she actually want to use it for?
Agreed, hence the qualifier "reliable".  There's cheap and nasty and there's cheap and serviceable.  Usage? Apparently mainly access to e-mail on the hoof.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2022, 10:47:11 pm »
Motorola seem to have a good bang/buck number. I've got a G8 power which I got a year or so ago for, umm, 130 notes (I think). Apart from "cheapest", what is the budget here?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2022, 12:03:04 am »
Or Moto E20 or E30 for cheaper, simpler option. Was available for about £60 or £80 or so.
Got one for my dad, seems pretty decent, works fine for most stuff, pretty good battery life.

RJC

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2022, 12:23:18 pm »
Any small android phones (<=5") that are OK?
Something like Moto E20 probably good enough for my modest needs apart from the size.

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2022, 04:14:56 pm »
Both mllePB and her father are still running Samsung Galaxy S7 handsets although I personally would probably not venture back beyond the S9 version myself.  The S7 is now 6 years old and definitely beyond support whereas my old S9 received an update only yesterday. 

As I say though, the S7's are still performing perfectly fine as phones, surfing and email devices.