Author Topic: Front rack for suspension forks  (Read 805 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Front rack for suspension forks
« on: 12 April, 2022, 03:14:37 pm »
I'm considering getting one for my new bike. There's a Topeak Tetrarack. Does anyone have any experience of it? Or any decent alternatives?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Front rack for suspension forks
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2022, 03:19:53 pm »
I know nothing of it but most front racks can be made to fit suspension forks with suitable clamping.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2022, 03:37:33 pm »
I'm considering getting one for my new bike. There's a Topeak Tetrarack. Does anyone have any experience of it? Or any decent alternatives?
I have a Topeak rear rack for a bike with rear suspension, along with the pannier supports. It has been very good.

I get the impression that they engineer stuff quite well.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:13:15 pm »
I have an Old Man Mountain front rack (second hand, courtesy of a forumite) fitted to my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle via the QR skewer and P-clips (I bought some new ones that are exactly the right diameter for the fork).  Alas, circumstances have dictated that the bike itself has been gathering dust and getting in the way of the gas meter since I fitted it, so I've not actually tested it in the real world, and haven't a clue how the bike handles with a load on the front.  It does look ridiculous with the keeps-the worst-of-the-mud-out-of-your-face 'dirt board' mudguard attached.

That said, it's as sturdy as the price suggests, and should be admirably suited for the intended task of cycle-camping with a side-order of Sensible Off-Roading.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2022, 06:46:36 pm »
I've just seen that SJS have such things in stock, Kim. £89.99 for the rack, £120ish for the conversion kit. I wasn't really anticipating putting 33kg on the front. Or spending another £210!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:05:36 pm »
You can see why I snapped one up when one appeared on the for sale board in the appropriate size for a fraction of the price.

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:45:25 pm »
Thule Tour rack looks interesting. Though not cheap. And need to buy the extra side frames, if you want to use other brands of panniers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:50:05 pm »
Thule and Topeak are both very reputable companies. I sent a message to Thule to ask if their rack would it Ortlieb panniers. I had to remove the spacers from our Ortlieb panniers' hooks as the rear rack on the R & M is constructed of 16mm tubing.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2022, 08:16:01 pm »
I've ordered the Topeak one on the basis that it was £77.36 from the place I found and they offer a 100 day money back guarantee.