Author Topic: Safe search engines for children?  (Read 2544 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Safe search engines for children?
« on: 18 April, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »
My 8 year old daughter is getting into google. What search engines are safe for her to use. I don't want her coming across anything unsuitable. Are there kid friendly versions of search engines?

Re: Safe search engines for children?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 05:22:45 pm »
Google's pretty good if you switch Safesearch on and select strict filtering (click on preferences whilst on Google). No site using filtering is going to be 100% effective and very occasionally something may slip through.

Just remember to switch Safesearch off if you wish to look for any "artistic" sites for your own personal use  ;)

It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 07:44:38 pm »
Whatever you do, don't let her search for daisy chains without switching on the safe filtering, like wot I nearly did a few years ago.  :o

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:45:12 pm »
I suppose it rather depends on how much you trust your kids to make their own judgments. Regardless of whatever you do they will see stuff you would not wish them to. You can ban a whole pile of stuff and make it appear more alluring to them or you can give them free rein to find out what is interesting and what is not, or what is disgusting and what is fun.

I left my kids to discover for themselves. They seem to have turned out ok.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:32:41 am »
Thanks. I'll do that. I do agree with you nicknack (your avatar looks familiar, I guess you were someone else once before), but she is only 8, so I don't want her to be surprised or shocked at this age.

oldcobblers

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2008, 06:08:59 pm »
My F-Secure Firewall/Anti-Virus has Child/Teenage/Adult settings.  The defaults work quite well and you can specifically add/block sites, too.

As others have said, the Google filter works well, too.