Author Topic: Downloading all your posts from The Old Place.  (Read 14099 times)

border-rider

Re: Downloading all your posts from The Old Place.
« Reply #25 on: 30 March, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »
Aye

What I worry about is the loss of all that audax lore - and the PBP stuff.  That was history-in-realtime.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #26 on: 30 March, 2008, 06:24:23 pm »
Be nice to get the audax bits and the kit reviews. I'm not worried about saving any of my random mutterings :-X
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #27 on: 30 March, 2008, 07:01:46 pm »
I'd just like to point out, that even though Peter's son's script is very nifty and class A in terms of "thinking outside the box" (or whatever it's called these days) it will only ever work if the database is up and running. As soon as it dies (gets turned off, Sam drops it if you like), it won't work.

For those who have made careful, considered posts - I'd suggest doing a copy/paste action now.

Would that be correct RZ?

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2008, 07:09:19 pm »
I've looked through my posts on the other acf, and I have decided that nothing I posted was that earth shattering or deep and meaningful.  I did go through and delete some of my old threads, but I really can't be bothered.

A few days ago I said that I wouldn't leave but I have since stopped my payment and am about to delete my account.

Nick H.

« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2008, 07:21:05 pm »
Can anybody help me download my posts? Ideally I'd like all the threads I posted in - is that possible? I feel that hacking is justifiable.

Fi

« Reply #30 on: 30 March, 2008, 08:48:22 pm »
 It would be a great pity to lose the ACF library and post of the day.  It has from time to time occurred to me you could make a saleable book, even on a small scale, out of the Library posts, interspersed with suitable posts of the day.  Warrington did it with their crap cycle lanes.

« Reply #31 on: 30 March, 2008, 09:00:21 pm »
Whilst you may try and retain other people's posts, purely for their use, on a free forum, and might possibly be OK in IP terms.  If you tried to publish them in a book, without the authority of everyone whose posts you used, I think you would be on very dodgy grounds.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Fi

« Reply #32 on: 30 March, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
You would indeed, but permission is seekable (sic).

alan

« Reply #33 on: 01 April, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
Beyond me, I fear.

Me too. It's a different galaxy for me.
No cyle pun intended.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 01 April, 2008, 12:25:39 pm »
The Management do not recommend leeching posts from ACF, but we can't stop you doing it. 

Legally we think you're OK unless the traffic increase ends up doing a denial-of-service attack on the server, in which case you can be prosecuted under the Computer Misuse Act, should the BD complain.  Morally...well, we think the posts are owned by the people who posted them, but it doesn't stop Google caching them without your permission.  WANAL (WANL?), though.

Definitely don't take anything from Private Matters.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.