Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1744132 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #17300 on: 27 January, 2022, 07:10:40 pm »
You'll be a new man in no time ted!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #17301 on: 27 January, 2022, 08:12:20 pm »
Let's hope so! You too OD.

The exercises are really tough to start with, but if you can work up to a 30 minute session twice a week I reckon you'll definitely feel the benefit.

I haven't had Shermer's, I was thinking of you Phil. I was suffering with back pain. The exercises really helped.

felstedrider

« Reply #17302 on: 27 January, 2022, 09:42:28 pm »
Another vote for Tom D’s core advantage.  My copy is well thumbed.  In the end I could hold race position for 24hrs* without (much) issue.

* OK.  I was stopped for 10 minutes.

« Reply #17303 on: 27 January, 2022, 11:44:30 pm »
Improve your core strength, it worked wonders for me. Improved my back pain, posture and pedalling efficiency. Does wonders for Shermer's neck too Phil.

I've got a book, "Core Advantage" by Tom Danielson. It's cycling specific. Exercises, explanation and workout plans. Highly recommended.

I do hope you're on commission for all of this!

Like Ted, I am worried that I may need to use the book, rather than relying on benefits from delivery alone.

On the subject of Ted, your comment, in the other place, that Pleshey was in sight of NYC when only 7km past the Compasses was dramatic. Are you sure that your old Soviet map of Essex was not missing the centre, Comrade Ted?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17304 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:33:22 am »
...are you sure that your old Soviet map of Essex was not missing the centre, Comrade Ted?

What's this?  :o  Have we unearthed an old style Soviet sleeper???

« Reply #17305 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:50:39 am »
Improve your core strength, it worked wonders for me. Improved my back pain, posture and pedalling efficiency. Does wonders for Shermer's neck too Phil.

I've got a book, "Core Advantage" by Tom Danielson. It's cycling specific. Exercises, explanation and workout plans. Highly recommended.

On the subject of Ted, your comment, in the other place, that Pleshey was in sight of NYC when only 7km past the Compasses was dramatic. Are you sure that your old Soviet map of Essex was not missing the centre, Comrade Ted?

The original venue mooted was Aythorpe Roding.  The Western cell tell me they can hear the ships' horns as they sail into New York Harbour on quiet evenings from there.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17306 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:04:26 am »
Changing the subject slightly, now that we have established ted isn't a threat to Ukrainian sovereignty, does anyone fancy a leisurely spin perhaps with a coffee stop tomorrow morning?  I wanna leave Shitham at about 0900hrs and be back by noon.

« Reply #17307 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:18:29 am »
I haven't had Shermer's, I was thinking of you Phil. I was suffering with back pain. The exercises really helped.

Sounds like we need to send you off on the Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax to test your theory.  If you make it in 7 days without issues, you’ll be validated.  Otherwise we’ll have to conclude your core work didn’t make a difference (maybe).  My neck started going at 1850km , so that’s the bench mark to beat. I was fine before that distance and flew through 1500km with no issues etc, day 6 things changed! In my case I think it was the accumulation of some bad decisions when it came to bike position, to deal with headwinds and a few other comfort factors, rather than the strength or otherwise of my core. Decisions that wouldn’t have mattered, had say the event been 1800km or less.

That aside, overall functional strength conditioning off the bike, is a good thing.  I’m sure we all neglect that side as it’s seen as a chore, compared to doing the thing we like, which is riding bikes.

« Reply #17308 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:38:43 am »

The original venue mooted was Aythorpe Roding.  The Western cell tell me they can hear the ships' horns as they sail into New York Harbour on quiet evenings from there.

Too true! Although only if a fight hasn't broken out in Harlow that drowns it out...

An occasional splinter is good to avoid me (and you, Ted) rolling in at 2am on a school night, representing the outer extremes of the ACME empire as we do! But mainly good to get everyone in one location if possible. May be another argument for the fabled Forward Planning - I can probably take a 2am finish if I don't have to be up at 6!

« Reply #17309 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:50:54 am »
Splintering is not ideal.  We had 6 of us at EER on Wednesday but 9 at MEMWNS would have been better.

It was partly a product of the rule of 6 and possibly partly to do with us all reducing our horizons during the recent dark times (or just getting older).

I don't mind the occasional late one but that's a long nights of early summer thing.

Fast forward to mid-June and a 125k round trip in short sleeves with the outward trip in daylight seems reasonably attractive.

The alternative is to go for the venues that are truly central - ie Coggeshall, Kelvedon etc

The SH, for instance, is not central.  It is the best part of a 100k round trip for me - albeit a very short hop from work.

You and I also have the option of the part-motor assisted outing but I prefer not to mix the two if possible as it reduces the potential for sampling.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17310 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:52:43 am »
FORWARD PLANNING...

Whilst some of our more anarchic elements never favoured the practice, and indeed did their best to frustrate FORWARD PLANNING, there is much to commend it as FORWARD PLANNING means that everyone gets a local pub on a regular basis.

I have had a crack at FORWARD PLANNING, as has jibers.  If anyone else would like volunteer please step forward  :-*

« Reply #17311 on: 28 January, 2022, 10:08:10 am »
I am keen to have a crack at not FORWARD PLANNING if that's any help ?

Surely weather etc plays a part in decision making.  The other factor is who is actually out which can change right up to launch (Tomsk doesn't count in these calculations as he ranges far and wide in his quest for the perfect ale).

I have also noted that the FORWARD PLANNER is usually (unconsciously I am sure) biased towards their favoured locations.

I prefer a weekly bidding process.

One thing which might work is a hybrid system whereby we move between a list of central venues or venues near stations in the depths of winter, frequent the extremities in the long nights of summer in our more miles less beer phase (YC, Olde Albion, Anchor at Nayland, The Axe, Hatfield Not Peverel, Duton Hill, the Viper etc) and freewheel it in between.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17312 on: 28 January, 2022, 10:21:05 am »
I am keen to have a crack at not FORWARD PLANNING if that's any help ?

Surely weather etc plays a part in decision making.  The other factor is who is actually out which can change right up to launch (Tomsk doesn't count in these calculations as he ranges far and wide in his quest for the perfect ale).

I have also noted that the FORWARD PLANNER is usually (unconsciously I am sure) biased towards their favoured locations.

I prefer a weekly bidding process.

One thing which might work is a hybrid system whereby we move between a list of central venues or venues near stations in the depths of winter, frequent the extremities in the long nights of summer in our more miles less beer phase (YC, Olde Albion, Anchor at Nayland, The Axe, Hatfield Not Peverel, Duton Hill, the Viper etc) and freewheel it in between.

Fabulous, thanks ted, I love a hybrid system as its probably the closest any of will get to enjoying the best of all worlds :thumbsup:

Why don't you put for cunning plan into action so we can see what it looks like in practice?

« Reply #17313 on: 28 January, 2022, 12:07:56 pm »
Here you go; venues split into categories with some sample (one way) distances for Ted, Psyclist, Essex Strangler, Jiber and OD:

Mid-Season

The Compasses - Littley Green   G47   A28   R44    J14   O16
The Swan - Little Totham  G20  A50  R31 J24  O11 
The Chequers - Goldhanger
The Cats - Woodham Walter  G30  A42  R44   J13  O10
Maltsters Arms - Heybridge
The Rose and Crown - Great Waltham
Leather Bottle - Pleshey
The King Billy – Braintree
The Chequers – Great Tey 
The Bell – Lt Bardfield  G52 A26  R50   J32  O27
Carpenter’s Arms – Maldon
Fox – Layer
Donkey & Buskins – Layer
Odd One Out – Colchester
Live & Let Live – Colchester
Alma – Copford  G17  A52  R18  J32  O17
Queen’s Head – Maldon Hythe
Ship – Heybridge Basin
Hurdlemakers – Woodham Mortimer
Olde Crown - Messing

Summer Nights

The Prince of Wales - Stow Maries
The Queen Victoria / Jalsa Ghar - Great Dunmow
The White Hart - Margaretting Tye 
The Norton - Cold Norton 
WMYC- West Mersea  G1  A66  R32   J44  O32
5 Bells - Colne Engaine
Axe and Compasses - Aythorpe Roding
The Red Lion - Finchingfield
The Bell - Castle Hedingham
The Leather Bottle - Blackmore
The Walnut Tree - Broads Green
The Cock Inn - Hatfield Broad Oak  G64  A10   R60  J26  O36
The Half Moon Inn - Belchamp St. Paul
King’s Head – Tollesbury
Olde Albion – Rowhedge
The Anchor – Nayland  G28  A71  R13  J45   O31
Three Horseshoes - Duton Hill  G58  A17  R54  J30  O31
Waggon & Horses – Great Yeldham

Winter Depths

The Viper - Mill Green G25/58  A33  R11/58   J10  O26
The Wheatsheaf – Writtle
The Chapel – Coggeshall  G27  A38   R25  J27   O13
The Sun – Feering
The Woolpack – Chelmsford
The Orange Tree – Chelmsford
The Endeavour– Chelmsford
Railway Tavern – Kelvedon
Cross Keys – White Notley  G34   A35  R35  J21  O5

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17314 on: 28 January, 2022, 12:25:48 pm »
Wow, good work ted  :thumbsup:

I fancy that...

The Enterprise – Chelmsford

Should be "The Endeavour".  And could we go there next week as I've never been but should like to?

« Reply #17315 on: 28 January, 2022, 01:05:15 pm »
You see, not FORWARD PLANNING has its place as well.

Next week we will go the not Enterprise  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17316 on: 28 January, 2022, 01:28:47 pm »

Fab.  The dairy says I'm free next week and the week after  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17317 on: 28 January, 2022, 02:10:00 pm »
Here you go; venues split into categories with some sample (one way) distances for Ted, Psyclist, Essex Strangler, Jiber and OD:

Mid-Season

….
The Three Elms - Chignall St. James
….

We might need to scratch The Three Elms, it has been boarded up for a lot of the pandemic and looked very sorry for itself last time I cycled out that way.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17318 on: 28 January, 2022, 02:11:46 pm »

Mid-Season

….
The Three Elms - Chignall St. James
….

We might need to scratch The Three Elms, it has been boarded up for a lot of the pandemic and looked very sorry for itself last time I cycled out that way.

This is true.  It used to a favourite of ours except when they had the fookin' jazz bad playing  >:(

« Reply #17319 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:04:49 pm »

Was it a unanimous vote by the cows?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17320 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:05:43 pm »

Was it a unanimous vote by the cows?

Udderly unanimous. 

« Reply #17321 on: 28 January, 2022, 04:35:09 pm »
Don't milk it OD.

« Reply #17322 on: 29 January, 2022, 01:58:20 am »

Mid-Season

The Compasses - Littley Green   G47   A28   R44    J14   O16
The Swan - Little Totham  G20  A50  R31 J24  O11 
The Chequers - Goldhanger
The Cats - Woodham Walter  G30  A42  R44   J13  O10
Maltsters Arms - Heybridge
The Rose and Crown - Great Waltham
Leather Bottle - Pleshey
The King Billy – Braintree
The Chequers – Great Tey 
The Bell – Lt Bardfield  G52 A26  R50   J32  O27
Carpenter’s Arms – Maldon
Fox – Layer
Donkey & Buskins – Layer
Odd One Out – Colchester
Live & Let Live – Colchester
Alma – Copford  G17  A52  R18  J32  O17
Queen’s Head – Maldon Hythe
Ship – Heybridge Basin
Hurdlemakers – Woodham Mortimer
Olde Crown - Messing

Summer Nights

The Prince of Wales - Stow Maries
The Queen Victoria / Jalsa Ghar - Great Dunmow
The White Hart - Margaretting Tye 
The Norton - Cold Norton 
WMYC- West Mersea  G1  A66  R32   J44  O32
5 Bells - Colne Engaine
Axe and Compasses - Aythorpe Roding
The Red Lion - Finchingfield
The Bell - Castle Hedingham
The Leather Bottle - Blackmore
The Walnut Tree - Broads Green
The Cock Inn - Hatfield Broad Oak  G64  A10   R60  J26  O36
The Half Moon Inn - Belchamp St. Paul
King’s Head – Tollesbury
Olde Albion – Rowhedge
The Anchor – Nayland  G28  A71  R13  J45   O31
Three Horseshoes - Duton Hill  G58  A17  R54  J30  O31
Waggon & Horses – Great Yeldham

Winter Depths

The Viper - Mill Green G25/58  A33  R11/58   J10  O26
The Wheatsheaf – Writtle
The Chapel – Coggeshall  G27  A38   R25  J27   O13
The Sun – Feering
The Woolpack – Chelmsford
The Orange Tree – Chelmsford
The Endeavour– Chelmsford
Railway Tavern – Kelvedon
Cross Keys – White Notley  G34   A35  R35  J21  O5

Top job, Ted! I am colour coding and adding to the map. :thumbsup:

« Reply #17323 on: 30 January, 2022, 02:14:32 am »
OK,

Mid-Season (Green)
Summer Nights (Yellow)
Winter Depths (Blue)

The SH is Orange as it gets special status. I'm purple and the COG is the white star.

I will add anybody that sends me their gmail address if I can work out how, so that you can make changes but please let me know of the changes so I can alter the COG.
Ta. :thumbsup:
Link.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17324 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:42:35 am »
Back when there was "forward planning" we have a closed calendar set up etc but avoided general distribution so as to not advertise (until last minute on here) where there were going to be 10 bikes available for a couple of hours - some of the pubs locking up places were /are less than ideal.

There was science behind the last season of forward planning, it lasted at least 2 years I think! :) Winter pubs short and with potential for gritted roads. Summer a bit longer. A quadrant and a pseudo-random selection of venues to try and spread a fair distribution to pubs whilst still allowing some customization....

Regards,

Joergen