Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1740559 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #16550 on: 09 August, 2021, 08:06:44 pm »
or the Belgium Brewer in Stortford

Will they open specially for us on a Wednesday, if you ask nicely? Though with up to 4 beers available according to their website, (at the strength of 'Hurty'), it could get messy ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16551 on: 09 August, 2021, 08:19:22 pm »
The one we drank them out of beer was The Willows, Cressing.

The Vine was last visited by me 9 Jan 2019 with the drunk at the bar who wanted to ride bikes but also wanted to complain about cyclists holding him up in his car....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #16552 on: 09 August, 2021, 08:55:10 pm »

Will they open specially for us on a Wednesday, if you ask nicely? Though with up to 4 beers available according to their website, (at the strength of 'Hurty'), it could get messy ...

Not on a Wednesday … I was just trying it on to see how far west the easterners might venture.

The one we drank them out of beer was The Willows, Cressing.

The Vine was last visited by me 9 Jan 2019 with the drunk at the bar who wanted to ride bikes but also wanted to complain about cyclists holding him up in his car....

Yes, that was it. I seem to remember a dog or two. Looks like they have converted part of their car park into an outdoor seated area, looks quite spacious.

But according to FB they close at 9pm on a Wednesday!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #16553 on: 09 August, 2021, 09:02:22 pm »
Queens Head in Fyfield? Beer garden, open until 10pm, and real ale.

FB is telling me Huggy and OD have been there.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #16554 on: 10 August, 2021, 05:31:28 pm »

That could test the theory of building a bike with road geometry/stability with toe clearance rather than track geometry!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16555 on: 10 August, 2021, 05:34:04 pm »
I don't fancy a long trip back home tomorrow evening which is why Black Notley appealed.  How about the Cross Keys at White Notley?

Or those with miles in their legs meet up with the Westerners and those without decent legs go for somewhere less ambitious?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16556 on: 10 August, 2021, 05:44:07 pm »
 :thumbsup: The Cross Keys is ok by me, and overdue a visit.

Fyfield is much the same distance for me though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16557 on: 10 August, 2021, 07:40:38 pm »
Not sure I fancy any of the current options and I don't think I'll be available next week as not sure if I need to self isolate before the hospital (though not sure how that will work if I'm teaching 25 kids next week )

I'll probably have a can or 2 at home.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16558 on: 10 August, 2021, 08:08:11 pm »
Decisions, decisions ... If the rest of the western contingent are ok with the Cross Keys, White Notley, then shall we stick with that for the sake of OD and the rest of the Witham Peloton?

« Reply #16559 on: 10 August, 2021, 09:00:01 pm »
Decisions, decisions ... If the rest of the western contingent are ok with the Cross Keys, White Notley, then shall we stick with that for the sake of OD and the rest of the Witham Peloton?

Well, I am happy with that but unlikely to make tomorrow night as off on holiday the next day...

« Reply #16560 on: 11 August, 2021, 07:29:05 am »
Cross Keys, White Notley is fine for me.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16561 on: 11 August, 2021, 07:29:21 am »
Ok, looks like no enthusiasm for any other venue, so Cross Keys it is then?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16562 on: 11 August, 2021, 07:48:52 am »

I've been in touch with Cross Keys WN and they say they have a good selection of real ales and we don't have to book.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16563 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:15:47 pm »

I've been in touch with Cross Keys WN and they say they have a good selection of real ales and we don't have to book.

:thumbsup: I should be along 20:00 - 20:30-ish.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16564 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:25:16 pm »

:thumbsup: I should be along 20:00 - 20:30-ish.

If the Witham peloton sets off at 1900 hours we should be there at much the same time.  I have a fun route in mind and before anyone starts moaning I shall be astride Dakota who likes ploughed fields as much as huggy & co (but not BFC cos he loves them  ;D  )

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #16565 on: 11 August, 2021, 06:14:01 pm »
Not sure if I can get out tonight. I’ll try and be out later if not 19:00.

« Reply #16566 on: 11 August, 2021, 07:23:51 pm »
I'm sure White Notley has moved ... further than I expected so I'm ducking out tonight given an early start tomorrow. Also not around next week, so I won't be campaigning for a westerly venue.

« Reply #16567 on: 11 August, 2021, 10:54:33 pm »
Enjoyed it so much I might come back next year ,

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16568 on: 11 August, 2021, 11:53:12 pm »
Enjoyed it so much I might come back next year ,

Was good to see the scarlet pimpernel....

I'm sure White Notley has moved ... further than I expected so I'm ducking out tonight given an early start tomorrow. Also not around next week, so I won't be campaigning for a westerly venue.

Given it's just a few mins down the road from The Vine  ::-)  ... even I turned up tonight!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #16569 on: 13 August, 2021, 12:04:40 am »
Oh, excellent.  You can start from Leaden Roding.  Might try to fit this in before the end of the season.

I'm starting from Norton Heath if you fancy company? :thumbsup:

It might be September before I can have a go.   I have a couple of busy weeks coming provided I recover from the off I had last week Ok.

Not sure when I'll fit it in but if it spills over into September, then I'll let you know!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16570 on: 13 August, 2021, 08:20:56 am »
Oh, excellent.  You can start from Leaden Roding.  Might try to fit this in before the end of the season.

It might be September before I can have a go.   I have a couple of busy weeks coming provided I recover from the off I had last week Ok.

Not sure when I'll fit it in but if it spills over into September, then I'll let you know!

What's this?  The MEMWNS being used to organise actual bike riding?  Like less beer, more miles  :o  Good work  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16571 on: 16 August, 2021, 03:23:27 pm »
Hello,

During the course of recent Wednesday evenings the subject on bivvy trips have been mentioned as follow ups to previous successful outings. 

I was with Oaky at the weekend and got to discussing how to make his idea of a Chappell centric trip actually happen, we have a date, albeit one some way in the distance.

Friday 8th October.  Set off after work, converge on Chappell, have food and drinks in The Swan, bivvy close by, return home on Saturday.  How does this sound?

felstedrider

« Reply #16572 on: 16 August, 2021, 03:43:10 pm »

My arm managed a decent chunk of riding last week but I wouldn't call it comfortable.   I'm not going to do anything long between now and the 1000 in the hope that that goes OK.   Sep 11th or 19th might work or I might do a mid-week trip as I seem to have some spare leave.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16573 on: 16 August, 2021, 07:39:36 pm »
Hello,

During the course of recent Wednesday evenings the subject on bivvy trips have been mentioned as follow ups to previous successful outings. 

I was with Oaky at the weekend and got to discussing how to make his idea of a Chappell centric trip actually happen, we have a date, albeit one some way in the distance.

Friday 8th October.  Set off after work, converge on Chappell, have food and drinks in The Swan, bivvy close by, return home on Saturday.  How does this sound?

:thumbsup: It's on the calendar. Might be able to incorporate it into riding to Lowestoft for the Silly Suffolk on Sunday ...

« Reply #16574 on: 17 August, 2021, 06:32:15 pm »
Is it the Cats this week???
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...