Author Topic: May make me sound abit thick, Cache and cookies?  (Read 2319 times)

May make me sound abit thick, Cache and cookies?
« on: 28 October, 2009, 07:04:54 pm »
Right, what's a cache and what are cookies, on my phone ???
I use my phone for the internet alot, do i need these on? I like it to remember my passwords etc and keep me logged in, so do i need cookies and cache on for it to remember this crap.

Cheers, and apologies if i sound abit thick about it, i clear the cookies on the computer every night but i don't know much more then that

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Euan Uzami

Re: May make me sound abit thick, Cache and cookies?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:10:48 pm »
Cache - place where on your hard disk are stored copies of web pages, so if you request it and it deems that it hasn't changed then it just retrieves the one from the cache rather than requesting the latest version from the server.

Cookies - pieces of information that a website is allowed to write to your hard drive, normally so that when you visit the website again on the same computer, it appears to 'remember' things you've previously told it. They're normally a form of key-value pair, e.g. "username=ben", which if it supports logging in automatically, is how it knows who to log you in as, for instance.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »
So in other words, yes you do need cookies enabled for it to remember who you're logged in as. Don't think there's any harm in it, unless it's a malicious website.
If you disable caching, some pages may be slower to load (and you may use more bandwidth).

« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »
So in other words, yes you do need cookies enabled for it to remember who you're logged in as. Don't think there's any harm in it, unless it's a malicious website.
If you disable caching, some pages may be slower to load (and you may use more bandwidth).

So i dont need to keep clearing these out then, just my history? The history seems to get pretty full fast.
Every so often the phone turns itself off when i go to do something, and i ask it to remember something, like changing accounts on facebook it will turn itself off, which i thought may be something being too full.
Not bad for a phone thats 2 weeks old ::-)
2nd one aswell, took the first one i had back (LG GW300) because of software problems, found out it was software problems didnt like O2's fix of reset to sort it, so changed to LG GW520 and it has a few problems, turns itself off sometimes, but besides that is fine.
Dont think its enough to warrent me taking it back though.
Oh, and when it gets to 50 messages in the inbox it throws a hissy fit and when i come off the text it has a confused screen which freezes it for abit, then it goes off.
Any ideas? Should i take another phone back?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »
it should have a maximum size that it's allowed to use for things like cache, browsing history, etc., so that when it's used that up, it deletes old ones.
If it's annoying enough, then take it back. if it turns itself off, and the problem's reproducable (i.e. you can make it do it on demand) then take it back. The only solution they'll be able to do is reflash it (update its firmware), but if it's already got the latest firmware and it still does it then they should have a tough job explaining to you why they shouldn't give you your money back/a replacement.
Personally I find gnawing my own leg off more productive and fun than going on facebook, even on a normal computer, but ymmv....

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »
it should have a maximum size that it's allowed to use for things like cache, browsing history, etc., so that when it's used that up, it deletes old ones.
If it's annoying enough, then take it back. if it turns itself off, and the problem's reproducable (i.e. you can make it do it on demand) then take it back. The only solution they'll be able to do is reflash it (update its firmware), but if it's already got the latest firmware and it still does it then they should have a tough job explaining to you why they shouldn't give you your money back/a replacement.
Personally I find gnawing my own leg off more productive and fun than going on facebook, even on a normal computer, but ymmv....

Facebook is a place to kill time, its alright really.
I can get it to do the message thing on command again, i just let text messages build up to 50, then it starts, the phone turning itself off does get annoying.
Ill go in to the shop tomorrow and see what they say. Its a new phone out, so should have the latest software on.
I just want a phone that works god dammit! Id love a Blackberry, but im poor and they are way too expensive!!!
Im now on 3p less then my brother who is on 23 ;D 8) just dont get as many hours :'(

« Reply #6 on: 29 October, 2009, 12:05:18 am »
The way I explain it is, imagine you go to an all-day music concert. You get an inky hand stamp to show you've been in, and you get a programme to keep. The hand stamp lets you come and go all day.

A cookie is like a hand stamp but for a web site. It helps the web server recognise you when you come back to the same web site for a second time. Cookies can be used to help the web server keep track of you as you progress through a web site, which is important for shopping web sites.

The cache is like your pocket, so when you come back, you don't have to be given a programme again. A cached web page is like the programme in your pocket. It is possible to read it again, offline, without having to go back to the web site that it came from.

If you clear your cookies, the web server will think you are visiting for the first time from the computer you are currently using. If you clear the cache, all the text and images on the page will be downloaded from scratch next time you visit.

« Reply #7 on: 29 October, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »
Another important use of cookies is "stickiness". Big web sites that attract thousands of user like say Amazon don't just run on one server. Even relatively small sites may run on a couple of servers for redundancy.  They have a device called a load balancer sat in front of the servers that takes each incoming session and sends it to one of the servers in a round robin fashion or perhaps based on the load on each server. Now if you were half way through buying stuff on Amazon and your phone rang or you went and made a cup of coffee your session would time out and when you came back your web browser would try and reconnect but it could ( an likely would) be load balanced to a different physical server that new nothing about what's in your basket etc. Very annoying. So to get round this when you first connect the load balancer sends you a cookie that says I am connecting you to server 8 and then when you reconnect  it reads that cookie and "sticks" you to the same server.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 29 October, 2009, 12:39:56 pm »
Cookies good.

At the price you're paying for bandwidth on most mobile contracts, cache good too.

Crashing not good. Talk to their techies as to why; it shouldn't do that.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2009, 12:41:15 pm »
Kool, thanks for that. I take it it works on youtube then? If i load up a video it will remeber the video? Never really understood it, but its all pretty clear now. Ill leave them on on my phone, and just keep clearing the history every so often.
Cheers :)