Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484817 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21125 on: 30 June, 2021, 07:27:32 pm »
If it's 50km each way then that is an effort by most people's standards.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21126 on: 01 July, 2021, 01:14:05 pm »
Maybe I'm too dyed in the Audax wool, but I think most people who can ride a bike could survive a 50? :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #21127 on: 01 July, 2021, 03:18:01 pm »
Maybe I'm too dyed in the Audax wool, but I think most people who can ride a bike could survive a 50? :)
I often say towards the end of an audax,  when feeling tired,  "only 50km to go,  anyone can ride 50km"

Still a very long commute though.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #21128 on: 02 July, 2021, 02:43:54 pm »
I often say towards the end of an audax,  when feeling tired,  "only 50km to go,  anyone can ride 50km"

Still a very long commute though.

Dunno, doing a 21 mile round commute now which I consider normal and for the first six months of last year I rode to Shepherds Bush which was a 31 mile round trip which is 50km, an hour and a half each way, it did not seem that big a deal after the first couple of trips, just a bit further.

As an aside the last mile as you reached Shepherds Bush proper there is a roundabout and a one way system like Mad Max, four lanes of one way high speed mayhem, like the council just gave up on cyclists.

« Reply #21129 on: 02 July, 2021, 07:17:27 pm »
To many people commuting over an hour is ?
To many people cycling is ?

My longest commute was just short of 20 miles a day, most people I talked to thought I was batshit crazy. (It did involve a three lane roundabout echoing your Mad Max.  The best commute was when it had snowed and all the cars were crawling).

« Reply #21130 on: 02 July, 2021, 07:57:40 pm »
My normal commute is 20km to work and 25-30 on the way home. Usually done on really quiet roads but I start a bit later these days and the extra traffic is notable.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21131 on: 02 July, 2021, 08:03:02 pm »
Did an occasional commute from my newish work home on Friday evening which is about 50km (hence occasional). Mentioned it in passing and now one guy keeps going on about it being a huge effort!

At my former workplace, I tried to do a once or twice a week cycle commute of 60k each way.
It took about 2:40 each way.

I didn't manage twice most weeks, and once was often enough most weeks.

In the winter, I had to adjust my route to avoid high ground, and that involved a partial drive then ride.

« Reply #21132 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:58:39 pm »
Just rode through the heaviest rain I have ever experienced, around about 4.30 - 5 in west London. The sort of rain where I become concerned that drain covers will lift and I’ll get sucked in and end up washed up somewhere around Tilbury. It’s still ongoing here in TW1 but not as bad as it was. Started about 0.1 seconds after getting on the bike at work :(

Worst bit was on the A205 not far from Putney. I was thinking “this river crossing the road seems rather brown”. That thought was followed very shortly afterwards by “this brown river is very smelly indeed”  :facepalm:

Deepest bit was on Danebury Avenue, between the Alton school and Priory Lane. Wasn’t expecting that. Amazingly, the e-bike remained electrified throughout.

I haven’t seen any local news yet but I suspect some damage is being caused out there.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21133 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:37:57 pm »
The BBC Londonton news is still talking about the aftermath of the foopball but the national forecast mentioned flash floods in London’s famous London.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21134 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:52:43 pm »
I’m surprised at the lack of Twittering on the matter. I’d be very surprised if that storm had not caused a lot of people to get flooded out.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21135 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:57:11 pm »
Beeb has finally mentioned it.  Usual crop of witless simp drivers drowning their vehicles under railway bridges.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #21136 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:20:44 pm »
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21137 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:47:29 pm »
A wet ride home through West London. First ride in a month, welcome back!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21138 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:06:37 pm »
I commuted to work on Friday, first time since March 2020.

Set off much earlier than usual (I had an appointment at 8) and had the roads pretty much to myself. Almost delightful, apart from the abomination that is some of the covid-inspired additional 'cycle facilities' installed en (some of the) route. They strike me as significantly less convenient and much less safe than what was there before.

(And today I got a note from HR saying that someone else in the office on Friday tested positive over the weekend. Bloody hell.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21139 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:08:47 pm »
I was out in that, albeit in a car. Went into central London for the first time in many months, two of us drove in together rather than risk the train; I was considering the motorbike then decided against as because I was going in to see a customer I wouldn't have anywhere to change if I got a soaking.

Crawled towards the Hammersmith Flyover as there was a flood at the base of that so single file traffic. Then lots of floods going down the 316 towards Twickenham. Took about half an hour to half a mile towards the roundabout by Twickenham school, as the road was badly flooded over the River Crane.
We only saw one broken down vehicle though, and that wasn't in a particularly flooded area (so not likely to have taken in water and stopped shortly afterwards).

« Reply #21140 on: 13 July, 2021, 09:18:27 am »
I can't point to anything specific but that was a really nice ride in.

26 miles in almost sunshine and all is right with the world.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21141 on: 18 July, 2021, 11:24:58 am »
Not sure where to put this, was looking for some crochet leather palmed mitts, had a beautiful pair in world champ stripes a long time ago until the dryer buggered  the leather, no joy at my price point but these seem to good to be true, £4 for leather, delivered? They seem to be for sale with quite a few sellers too. Arrive Wed, what could be wrong with them?

Unisex Real Leather Cycling Gloves Padded Palm Classic Vintage Style Cycle Glove       
SKU: Style: 157, Size: XL
Total: £3.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123934798211

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21142 on: 18 July, 2021, 05:59:43 pm »
Is that a strange place for the thumb?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21143 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:56:31 am »
mmm, it does seem a bit too good to true, they arrive wed, I will give a short review, if my thumbs are able to type

« Reply #21144 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:14:26 pm »
Can we have cool autumn days now, please?

« Reply #21145 on: 20 July, 2021, 01:15:53 pm »
On annual leave atm, but have been using the bike for the school run as it's too hot to walk!

« Reply #21146 on: 22 July, 2021, 09:44:52 am »
Rode into work yesterday, blissful ride in at 0630.

Paid the Piper on the 1600 return. Sank a whole bidon in 30mins. The heat felt like it was sucking the moisture out of me via my mouth and throat.

« Reply #21147 on: 23 July, 2021, 04:49:45 pm »
Lovely ride home; the others had to leave the office early so once I'd done stuff that could only be done there I left rather than be invoking the lone worker protocols. Which meant I had time to go the long way home, including some mild off-roading on paths I only discovered recently that happen to be part of the King Alfreds Way route. Popping out from that onto a little country, I was a bit worried to see road closure signs, but when I actually got there it was specifically open to cyclists, with good sized chicane gaps that would stop a car but very easily let me through without being remotely tight. Almost as though whoever set it up was thinking about what they were doing!
It's been far too long since I had time to do a long way home ride.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21148 on: 24 July, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »
Yesterday evening, heading home from work, I was waiting patiently at the lights (because I'm a good boy) heading southbound from Parliament Square to Westminster Bridge, when a chap came past me on a beach cruiser, with a small companion. I just had to get my camera out and take a picture as I caught up with him a bit further on...

Untitled by citoyen, on Flickr

(it's actually a 2-second video clip - you have to click on it to watch it)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21149 on: 24 July, 2021, 07:07:19 pm »
I sometimes ride with our dog, an almost-blind Shih Zhu (genetic issue rather than being particularly old), in a backpack. It's designed for dogs, so it has a hard base, mesh side panels, and a clip for his harness. He can curl down and sleep in it, or as I'm leaning forward whilst riding he can lie up my back, with his head over my shoulder.

I call it my babe-magnet bag, as it gets me lots of attention from ladies young and old (dog is a bit of a cutie, looks just like a teddy bear) - to MrsH's amusement as she's normally with me if I'm riding with the dog.