Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2483410 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21150 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:43:27 pm »
Yours sounds ok, MattH, but that thing in Citoyen’s photo just looks cruel.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21151 on: 25 July, 2021, 09:27:50 am »

I wondered about that, and came to the conclusion it’s probably ok for short journeys. I can’t see that it would be doing any physical harm, so it comes down to the dog’s temperament. The one in the pic looked quite content, just taking in the world going by.

Mine would probably spend the whole journey barking at other cyclists. I can’t think how I would even get him into the harness.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #21152 on: 25 July, 2021, 05:41:06 pm »

I take his eagerness to get in, whether at the start of a trip or after a short break, as showing it to be OK from his point of view   :)
The trike arrangement is a bit better, with a large motorcycle pet carrier mounted on the rear rack so again he can pop his head out and talk to me or snuggle down, and less risk of an unintended off. But the trike is awkward to take with us in the camper.

« Reply #21153 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:16:30 pm »
Yesterday, cycling home from my parents' house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK0HPRoltCg

:sick:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21154 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:27:41 pm »
Wow! How was the MCyclist? It looked like s/he might have chosen the hedge over a head on with you, which is some mitigation for what looks otherwise like utterly moronic riding.

And how are you?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21155 on: 27 July, 2021, 02:16:59 pm »
Holy moly that looked dangerous. When you turned around there was a car behind you, so even if they had avoided you and remained on the road, they might have ended up having a head-on with the car.
Hope you and they are OK.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21156 on: 27 July, 2021, 02:28:13 pm »
And how are you?

Relieved not to arrive at the bend half a second earlier, I would say.

I live in fear of this kind of thing happening on the road I live on - I've had a couple of near misses with cars coming round the blind bend towards me on the wrong side of the road, ignoring the double white lines.

Very glad to see you escaped unscathed, Solocle.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21157 on: 28 July, 2021, 12:44:06 am »

I take his eagerness to get in, whether at the start of a trip or after a short break, as showing it to be OK from his point of view   :)
The trike arrangement is a bit better, with a large motorcycle pet carrier mounted on the rear rack so again he can pop his head out and talk to me or snuggle down, and less risk of an unintended off. But the trike is awkward to take with us in the camper.
On short and hilly trips, a well-conditioned dog may be completely fine with four-on-the-floor over several days. For longer distance, higher speeds, or multi-day trips, some sort of dog-carry option will be essential. Many folks with smaller dogs have had great success with front or rear baskets, and in some cases a backpack (see the Cargo Bike section for details about baskets). Others with a large breed or two dogs have towed two-wheeled trailers designed for use with children on wide tracks and roads.

Since we are riding mainly off-road, and Mira tips the scales at 19kg (45lbs), a Bob Yak (or similar) single-wheel trailer has worked well for us in the past. Trailers have some inherent drawbacks, so we have switched to a mid-tail bike with a longer wheelbase. Whichever type of carrier you choose, it’s imperative to pad the floor and walls well. The rough trails and hard-sided carrier could injure your dog. Wall/floor padding and a compact area that’s just big enough for the dog to curl up in will help to keep a dog safe and comfortable during long days on bumpy trails. Some dogs may prefer to stand up. Take care to avoid sudden turns or braking that may cause your dog to fall out.

The leash I use is the same for all setups (see Pacing and Tactics). This setup works while on the bike or while you’re walking beside and pushing the bike. After all, with bikepacking comes hike-a-bike.
https://bikepacking.com/plan/dogpacking-guide/

Not my commute...  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21158 on: 28 July, 2021, 08:36:42 am »
Wow! How was the MCyclist? It looked like s/he might have chosen the hedge over a head on with you, which is some mitigation for what looks otherwise like utterly moronic riding.

And how are you?
He was conscious and in one piece, but it definitely looked painful. Basically the first thing I did was to call an ambulance, while moving to the entrance to the corner to flag down traffic.

It looked to me like he was keeping pace with the other rider, but he reported applying the brakes and nothing happening - it seems quite possible that he panicked and locked up, thus leading to the hedge.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21159 on: 16 August, 2021, 01:29:39 pm »
Did my first cycle commute into London for 9 years this morning; a lot has changed in terms of infrastructure. There's now an amazing segregated cycle lane along the embankment.

Still got lost on the way in and when I got to the office (haven't visited for 18 months) I went to the wrong floor!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21160 on: 17 August, 2021, 10:44:10 am »
First cycle commute for 3 months today.  Reason - no longer so busy that I (a) have time to go into the office and (b) even more time so I can commute by bike.  Always forget how nice it is to ride in London in August when there is no traffic.  Downside - with the benefit of a light tailwind, realised I could dip under a milestone time for my summer route in and so ended up interval training between traffic lights on the Embankment rather than riding at R1 as I normally do.  Will probably regret those intervals on the ride back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #21161 on: 15 September, 2021, 12:00:44 pm »
Fourth ride into the office this year; nearly wiped out by a driver not looking as he turned onto the culdescaccy bit of Quietway 1. I shouted, pedestrians shouted, contact avoided but not by much. About a once-per-year severity of incident, I'd say.

In theory I should be able to perform a confidence test for whether this is bad luck or evidence of significantly worse driving after all the lockdowns, but I'm a bit too shaken for statistics. Or have I lost my spidey-sense for lack of practice?
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #21162 on: 15 September, 2021, 05:16:52 pm »
Grief. I forgot to record my ride into work the other day. Only the second time in 18 months.

Nothing much to report really. I left after 9 so it was pretty quiet.

Just one twat to report. As I rolled up to the stop line at a set of lights with a chap stopped with his foot on the kerb, knobhead came past me on the inside and plonked himself exactly where I was about to be in the next second.

I'm happy to report that I haven't completely lost all fitness and strength.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21163 on: 22 September, 2021, 05:26:47 pm »
On the way home yesterday a motorist slowed down during the overtake, with plenty of space given, to inform me that I am a wanker.  I was confused because this wasn't lined to a punishment pass, not been waiting behind me, passed with plenty of space.  Probably they just know me.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21164 on: 22 September, 2021, 08:43:14 pm »
First cycle commute for 3 months today.  Reason - no longer so busy that I (a) have time to go into the office and (b) even more time so I can commute by bike.  Always forget how nice it is to ride in London in August when there is no traffic.  Downside - with the benefit of a light tailwind, realised I could dip under a milestone time for my summer route in and so ended up interval training between traffic lights on the Embankment rather than riding at R1 as I normally do.  Will probably regret those intervals on the ride back.
First time I've seen R followed by a number other than 17. (which makes me think: We don't need this fastest groove thang)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21165 on: 22 September, 2021, 10:02:27 pm »
…Probably they just know me.
I’m sure this can’t be true, but thanks for the chuckle.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21166 on: 28 September, 2021, 11:55:50 am »
Started riding to work again now that traffic has returned to pre-covid levels. Also to conserve what little fuel I have in the car until 'this' all blows over.

I noticed that the way I drive to work is almost all accompanied by Shared use paths, usually empty, so I though I would give that a whirl on the bike.

In summary - They range from the depressing to down right dangerous.
Predictably, there are almost 3x the no. of yield points than If i rode on the road. Covered in glass and detritus. One classic stretch is just a raised pavement next to a relatively narrow NSL road, the hedge is so overgrown it snags at your handlebars while you try to squeeze past the oncoming lorries whose wing mirros overhang the pavement. That just ended when it came to a roundabout. Not even a 'Cyclists Dismount' sign. It just turned to grass/mud and left the rider to figure out where I was supposed to go next.

No revelations there. Just confirmed what I suspected. Unpleasant enough on a dry day. I don't want to imagine it is on a wet cold winter morning getting blined by headlights and doused in road spray from HGV's. Grim.  :-\

« Reply #21167 on: 04 October, 2021, 07:21:00 pm »
I started commuting for the first time in years last week. It was brilliant. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy a ride to and fro work, even in the pouring rain. Today I made the error of the river path instead of the really bumpy one along the side of the golf club. It was also bumpy, but also flooded and muddy with very narrow parts. I won't bother again.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21168 on: 04 October, 2021, 07:33:42 pm »
River paths are seldom good for cycling IMO, though canal paths can be good. Good that you're enjoying commuting again.

« Reply #21169 on: 05 October, 2021, 06:24:00 am »
I fear yesterday's flooded road will have flooded again. And it's a good five mile diversion to get around.

Boo.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21170 on: 06 October, 2021, 10:31:54 am »
Used the winter route today.  Reminded me why I go the summer route, purely to avoid the sadistic traffic lights in Camberley that insist on being red despite the A30 being the main road and there being no traffic at all on the side roads.  Will probably spend my way back thinking of how to avoid that stretch of road and realising that it is not possible unless I use my summer route.

Or I can amuse myself by adding other names to the list:  Macchiavelli, Marquis de Sade, Camberley Town Planners....
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21171 on: 07 October, 2021, 08:58:53 pm »
I rode past the aftermath of this earlier today. I went past at about 4.30 or so, and I couldn’t see any police there at that point, although a motorist and other cyclists had stopped to help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUu9tr-M4ww/?utm_medium=copy_link

Alex Richardson rides for Alpecin-Fenix. He is fortunate not to have been killed.

« Reply #21172 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:01:30 pm »
FFS!

« Reply #21173 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:06:33 pm »
Good grief. That's pretty scary.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21174 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:07:34 pm »
With only four gates in to the Park you'd like to think pinning down some CCTV wouldn't be too hard.
Rust never sleeps