Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462783 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21175 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:09:12 pm »
What to say. Awful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21176 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:12:42 pm »
As I rode by I asked if I could do anything to help - not knowing any better it simply looked as if someone had come off (badly - i could see a ripped-through jersey and road rash, although he was sitting up and talking).

Must admit I wondered how it could have happened along that stretch - my first guess was that it was deer-related, as I’ve had a few close shaves in the mornings over the past week or so due to stags randomly deciding to sprint across the road regardless traffic.

Can’t quite figure out how he was still by the roadside at 4.30 odd, with no police or ambulance there, when his post says the incident was around 3pm.

With only four gates in to the Park you'd like to think pinning down some CCTV wouldn't be too hard.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? It would also allow the park to generate revenue catching all the unauthorised commercial vehicles as they rat-run through. But no. Royal Parks approach to traffic in the park is completely inexplicable.

« Reply #21177 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:28:30 pm »
I hope the team give him a new bike.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21178 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:35:48 pm »
Suspect the robbers will be reviewing their methods once they realise the difficulties in shifting a probably unique team bike that has been dragged along the road for 100m.

« Reply #21179 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:39:51 pm »
Can’t quite figure out how he was still by the roadside at 4.30 odd, with no police or ambulance there, when his post says the incident was around 3pm.
I presume he was waiting for his wife to collect him.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21180 on: 07 October, 2021, 10:00:14 pm »
Guess so, and the police had probably been and gone.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21181 on: 08 October, 2021, 06:43:05 pm »
Story has just made the BBC Londonton news, albeit briefly.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #21182 on: 08 October, 2021, 08:37:39 pm »

They'd probably gone back to the station to confer with their colleagues as to what the cyclist had done to bring this upon themselves.

« Reply #21183 on: 08 October, 2021, 08:47:43 pm »
Subtle.
Dry.
Incisive.
But probably closer to the truth than any of us would be comfortable with.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #21184 on: 08 October, 2021, 09:38:02 pm »

They'd probably gone back to the station to confer with their colleagues as to what the cyclist had done to bring this upon themselves.

Their public response was to put out a list of 'things the public can do to protect themselves', very similar to their response to women's concerns about safety on the streets. I really think the Met need a damn good reaming session with a cluebat.

ian

« Reply #21185 on: 08 October, 2021, 10:05:37 pm »
Indeed, it's a pattern of thinking that the police (and it's not just the Met, though they're the exemplar) seem only able – when forced – to confront on a case-by-case basis (and then often grudgingly). They'd do a lot better by starting from the assumption that it's not about what the victim did.

That's it in one sentence. If they could understand that they wouldn't need so many enquiries and several hundred-page reports. But as recent events made clear, they're not even close.

« Reply #21186 on: 08 October, 2021, 10:11:46 pm »

« Reply #21187 on: 08 October, 2021, 11:29:19 pm »
Dear god.  I wonder if this is the extremist wing of the Richmond Park Pedestrian Action Group ?   :-D
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21188 on: 09 October, 2021, 09:38:42 pm »
Sounds like carrying a D lock for self defence is advisable. Maybe when the met find the thieving scum on the floor, they’ll ask what they did to merit arriving in that situation.

« Reply #21189 on: 11 October, 2021, 07:06:42 pm »
Dlock? The thieves had machetes! Just let them have the bike. Best thing would be a bike fitted with a tracker. .

« Reply #21190 on: 11 October, 2021, 08:41:04 pm »
https://richmond.nub.news/n/cyclists-attacked-by-machete-wielding-gang-offers-olive-branch

Personally I don’t think this was about resentment of people riding around on bikes but who am I to say.

ian

« Reply #21191 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:59:43 am »
Yes, they were misunderstood, they were taking the machete to their craft class for a bit of whittling when they became annoyed by seeing a cyclist.

I'd personally assume they were scooting around looking for something to rob. A bit dimwitted, given they're now got themselves a high profile, and if they've any residual sense I'd expect that bike is now at the bottom of a local canal or sawn into pieces. As they'll be finding, it's a lot less hassle to steal a locked bike and not one that's moving.

« Reply #21192 on: 12 October, 2021, 08:44:00 pm »
So I'm happily riding home, well, not happily because of a very irksome afternoon at work. But I'm heading home...

Anyway, I'm riding home when I suddenly feel a thunk-a-dunk from the back wheel/through the saddle. Right, puncture I expect, great. So I hop off and squidge squidge the tyre. Seems ok, maybe a little low but not obviously flat. Decide to ride on and top up if needed. I'm most of the way home by now so it should be ok.

Shortly it's feeling a bit worse, have another look, and discover that, with a hand push, the rear wheel will do less than a revolution, it's hitting the brake pads on one side like woah! I have had spokes loose on this wheel before so figure that's happened again, slack off the brake and figure I'll deal with it when home. Luckily even with it still binding momentum and the motor forge ahead.

It took far too long once home (the lighting in the living room isn't great) to discover that no, the spokes are fine, the rim has split along the brake track for a good couple inches.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Fuck!

Made all the more annoying because I've been trying to work out which roller brakes will fit my hub for the last couple days partly to avoid the problem of rim wear and the associated muck that gets everywhere.

The only silver lining is I have to get the train the next couple days anyway as I have early/late labs and can't fit in the commute by bike and cover the labs.

Now I'm trying to work out what's compatible and what isn't and do I get a singlespeed wheel to tide me over or do I get a replacement hub geared wheel or just a rim and goddamn it I was meant to be choosing at leisure and not in a mad dash like this!!!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21193 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:04:11 am »
Tried a different route in today to avoid the evil traffic lights in Camberley.  Seemed to go OK except for the actually-properly-you-can't-get-through-even-on-a-bike road closed in Fleet.  Will suspend judgement until I do the return tonight as that descent into Lightwater was unseemly fast which suggest that it will be somewhat hard work in the other direction.  By the time I braved the threat of machete-wielding mopeds in Richmond Park, I was more worried that my overshoe-free feet were numb below the ankle.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21194 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:29:04 pm »
There was a reason why the Frimley - Lightwater - Windlesham - S'dale route was a slightly scenic route home but the commute in in the morning was always A30, A325 and yes I disliked fixed up and over the Jolly Farmer roundabout.

The even more scenic route was Frimley Green - Brookwood (down the pirbright bends) - Knaphill - Chobham - S'dale but that was strictly a summer evening and no rush to be home route.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21195 on: 25 October, 2021, 10:27:34 am »
Knocked off at a roundabout near Osterley House by a dozy driver this morning. So far, I've found a buckled front wheel (had to loosen off the front cantilever brake and centre the wheel to continue riding to work), dropped the chain (on fixed), torn handlebar tape, ripped-off mudflap, bent mudguards, bent bidon cage. No doubt other damaged stuff will become evident later, along with some more bruises and scrapes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21196 on: 25 October, 2021, 12:58:29 pm »
Glad it's not worse and that you are ok.  Did the driver stop?  More important that you're ok, obviously!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21197 on: 25 October, 2021, 01:03:13 pm »
Yes, they stopped and eventually provided details. I was rather loud but almost polite, considering the circumstances.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21198 on: 25 October, 2021, 01:10:13 pm »
I can imagine!

« Reply #21199 on: 25 October, 2021, 04:55:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that LWaB.  It really sucketh.  Hope you are okay, sometimes the injuries to you take a day or two to show up.  Also, hope the driver covers your costs.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace