Author Topic: Ebook Readers  (Read 161958 times)

Re: Ebook Readers
« Reply #1100 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:39:08 am »
I have found my Kindle to be extremely reliable. Its in a leather case but I don’t cosset it. It gets chucked in my rucksack with the laptop and carted all over the country and on holidays abroad. Its been dropped several times hard enough to spring the case (it just clicked back into place with some pressure).  I fancy a new one but the old one (its the one with the keyboard) just keeps on chugging along so I cant justify it. The first one I had died in a week (which is typical for modern electronics they either die straight away or work for years) and was replaced by Amazon, thinking about it they had an issue when they first came out with the official Amazon cases causing problems and they replaced the case as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1101 on: 22 October, 2014, 05:19:34 pm »
I am just about to repair my Kindle 3 keyboard 3G, having stripped it down to confirm that screen replacement is easy and ordered a reasonably priced Amazon spare.

Once it is functional, I will be deciding to sell or keep, if anyone is interested in making an offer, I might be influenced. It will come with the proper Amazon self-lit cover (the one that cost £50 originally). It is fair to add that the screen has just cost me £40.

Having stripped it, looked at the screen and how it is fitted, it is bloomin' amazing that most seem to last as long as they do.

« Reply #1102 on: 22 October, 2014, 06:32:03 pm »
I am just about to repair my Kindle 3 keyboard 3G, having stripped it down to confirm that screen replacement is easy and ordered a reasonably priced Amazon spare.

Once it is functional, I will be deciding to sell or keep, if anyone is interested in making an offer, I might be influenced. It will come with the proper Amazon self-lit cover (the one that cost £50 originally). It is fair to add that the screen has just cost me £40.

Having stripped it, looked at the screen and how it is fitted, it is bloomin' amazing that most seem to last as long as they do.

The Mrs dropped hers about a year ago. I was amazed at how thin the screen is.

I did slice my finger open trying to clean the glue off the metal insert though  :facepalm:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1103 on: 18 November, 2016, 01:18:50 pm »
My nook has died, after nearly 3 years of pretty much daily use. I'm not too bothered, because nook no longer operate in the UK and transferred their users to Sainsbury, who have just transferred us to Kobo, so I've just ordered a basic Kobo.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.