Author Topic: Where are my house martins?  (Read 2360 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Where are my house martins?
« on: 24 May, 2008, 12:31:53 pm »
Available for immediate occupation.  Two house martin nests.

I keep meaning to make a note of when our house martins return to the two nests in the eves of our house.  But surely they would normally be here by now?

In the 23 years we've lived in this house there have only been two or three occasions when one of the nests remained unoccupied.  This year neither of them are taken.

Was last summer so crap they decided to stay in Africa this year?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Really Ancien

Re: Where are my house martins?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2008, 12:39:59 pm »
The strong winds, cool temperatures and lack of rain have all kept the insect count down around here certainly. We went into Preston on the Old Tram Road cyclepath last night and got plenty of bugs in our teeth on the way back. Swifts were very active over the Ribble in the twilight so expect your Martins soon.

Damon.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2008, 02:20:35 pm »
My swifts turned up weeks ago, or at least I think it's swifts again (heard them, but not seen them).  Certainly appear to be down in numbers compared to previous years. Spotted 1 smashed egg on ground 4 storeys below, so they must have laid.

Last year was a double occupation. Swifts and House Sparrows, with one turfing the other out, although I think they'd pretty much fledged by then.
AndyM

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »
Mine are in residence. There appeared to be a fight over one of the nests - the one right by the bathroom window, which gives a wonderful oberservation point.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:24:08 am »
They're back!   :)  At last

Awoke this morning to the sounds of martin exitement.  I drew the bedroom curtains and watched as I appeared to be dived bombed by loads of martins swooping around the front of the house
This has cheered up my monday morning immensely.  Hoorah!

But they're about three weeks late.  I hope there's enough time for new little ones to get strong enough for the journey back to Africa.  I guess there will be just one brood this year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:32:47 am »
There were house martins immediately outside our window at the Kings YH last week. There were no nests, though, and a mean-looking stretch of wire netting along the entire building as though they were being discouraged from building there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:06:27 am »
There were house martins immediately outside our window at the Kings YH last week. There were no nests, though, and a mean-looking stretch of wire netting along the entire building as though they were being discouraged from building there.

That's a shame. They don't do any damage that I can discern, though it is a bit messy if there's a nest above a door or a path.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:26:32 am »
They're back!   

Yay!  Time for noisy chirbling! :D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:17:44 am »
We have always had several pairs nesting under our eves. Unfortunately this year none at all :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2008, 01:19:51 pm »
There seems to be fewer swifts than in the previous few years here, too. I wonder if there's been poor conditions for them in their winter haunts?

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2008, 05:38:19 pm »
There seems to be fewer swifts than in the previous few years here, too. I wonder if there's been poor conditions for them in their winter haunts?
Still hardly any swifts here, and usually there's loads.  Something's still nesting in the void usually frequented by swifts, but I've not seen them come and go, and they're not as noisy as usual.
Seemed to be plenty in Italy though a week or so back.
AndyM