Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 64501 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #250 on: 21 August, 2021, 03:46:06 pm »
Mine came on for a few minutes the other day, because I had all the windows open due to using degreaser, and forgot to tell the heating not to come on until I heard the boiler.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #251 on: 21 August, 2021, 04:06:23 pm »
Our boiler (the heating part) just gets switched off completely for the summer and into Autumn so it can't start.

Annoyingly the motorised valve that controls the HW jammed yesterday at some time and we'd run the tank down to cold . . . simple remedy to waggle the little lever about to free it and (another) note to self "Replace motor in valve with the new one that's in the box on top of the tank" . . . . tomorrow never comes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #252 on: 22 August, 2021, 06:01:15 pm »
I need to program it not to run the heating while windows (other than the bathroom) are open, really.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #253 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:10:38 pm »

Temp has dropped inside my flat to 22°C. Even with my big thick hoodie on I'm cold.

Figured as it's almost October, and past the equinox I can forgive myself for turning the heating on.

Except...

There's no heat coming out the radiators, even with the valves turned up to max. Tried bleeding the radiators. No air comes out.

So I guess the building wide system hasn't been turned on yet :(

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #254 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »
22C is a warm summer day. Do you feel cold when the temperature is 22 in, say, June or August? Genuinely curious.

By coincidence I bumped into my neighbour today and she asked if I had the heating on. We don't, nor does she, but I think she said some parts of uni (she works there in some sort of para-academic capacity) have and she suffers from the excess heat.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #255 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:31:09 pm »
22C is a warm summer day. Do you feel cold when the temperature is 22 in, say, June or August? Genuinely curious.

By coincidence I bumped into my neighbour today and she asked if I had the heating on. We don't, nor does she, but I think she said some parts of uni (she works there in some sort of para-academic capacity) have and she suffers from the excess heat.

Indoors, in June-August, 22°C means it's night time... My flat is south facing, it's averaged over 24°C for the since about June...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #256 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:38:01 pm »
I think the difference is that when the thermostat reads 22 in June, the air in the room is mostly at 22.  When it reads 22 in September, the air at thermostat height might be 22, but at floor level it's a lot colder.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #257 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:52:05 pm »
I agree there's a difference in how 22C feels between summer and autumn, or for that matter winter and spring (which is why I don't think controlling the heating by thermostat alone is particularly good [especially if you don't have a thermostat!]) though I'd always put it down to the effect of sunshine, which is probably as much psychological as strictly thermal. Different layers of temperature within a room is a good point; it's a good (possibly) argument for either underfloor heating or living on the ceiling (with or without Blancmange).

Indoors, in June-August, 22°C means it's night time... My flat is south facing, it's averaged over 24°C for the since about June...

J
Okay, so do you feel cold when it's 22C at night time in June? And what about outside?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #258 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:59:34 pm »
I think the difference is that when the thermostat reads 22 in June, the air in the room is mostly at 22.  When it reads 22 in September, the air at thermostat height might be 22, but at floor level it's a lot colder.

Temp at shoulder height (sat at desk) - 22.5°C
Temp at ankle height - 21.8°C

53.7% humidity.

I agree there's a difference in how 22C feels between summer and autumn, or for that matter winter and spring (which is why I don't think controlling the heating by thermostat alone is particularly good [especially if you don't have a thermostat!]) though I'd always put it down to the effect of sunshine, which is probably as much psychological as strictly thermal. Different layers of temperature within a room is a good point; it's a good (possibly) argument for either underfloor heating or living on the ceiling (with or without Blancmange).

The control for heating here is a valve on the radiators, with a scale from * to 5. Set, and hope.

Okay, so do you feel cold when it's 22C at night time in June? And what about outside?

Yes, and don't know. I don't have temp measuring stuff when outside. I also don't tend to sit outside, I'm either walking, or cycling.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #259 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:00:58 pm »
You are spending insufficient time in outdoor cafes!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #260 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:03:14 pm »

Temp at shoulder height (sat at desk) - 22.5°C
Temp at ankle height - 21.8°C

53.7% humidity.
It's not a big difference in fact, but that might well increase later in the year I suppose.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #261 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:03:52 pm »
You are spending insufficient time in outdoor cafes!

There's a plague...

and I don't like crowds...

J
--

« Reply #262 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:06:34 pm »
Jumper on.
Currently showing 12°C indoors, 17°C outdoors, with a stiff breeze and a cloudless sky.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #263 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:20:32 pm »
Our old flat we were on the first floor and the lounge was south-ish facing. In the new Pingu Towers my office is south facing with GBFO windaes and the lounge is North facing. So I'm spending all afternoon in a lovely warm room (now, it was a bit too hot a couple of weeks ago) and then coming down and sitting in a freezing cold lounge.
I popped up there for something at 6pm today and it was 20°C, in the lounge it's 14.8°C. Brr! I guess this would be a case study for one of those zonal heating control thingies.
Ninkasi keeps voting with her paws and staying at work late too...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #264 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:26:33 pm »
Heating has not yet come on.
Partner is moaning.
Thermostat is set for 21.0C
Display on CN controller reads 21.7C.

Too bad...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #265 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:20:50 pm »
Our old flat we were on the first floor and the lounge was south-ish facing. In the new Pingu Towers my office is south facing with GBFO windaes and the lounge is North facing. So I'm spending all afternoon in a lovely warm room (now, it was a bit too hot a couple of weeks ago) and then coming down and sitting in a freezing cold lounge.
I popped up there for something at 6pm today and it was 20°C, in the lounge it's 14.8°C. Brr! I guess this would be a case study for one of those zonal heating control thingies.
Ninkasi keeps voting with her paws and staying at work late too...

This was a problem when I lived in the garret, only one big east facing window but all the heat liked to collect up there.

Yesterday I discovered that Bob the thermostat-boiler control unit had crashed at somepoint during the summer and wasn't responding to either app, thermostat or even whacking the button on the control unit.  The app also still isn't working.
Anyway this morning the temperature was 18c in the room with the thermostat when I woke up, and that is the trigger temp, whether the heating had been on while I slept I do not know.
I then put the fire on last night because I was reading and felt like it, after all I have cheap gas until either February or when shell collapse...

« Reply #266 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:34:58 pm »
I'm trying to hold out until 1st October, though it's been chilly today (14-15°C in my "office" all day).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #267 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:37:10 pm »
Thermostat set for 18.5°.  Heating has come on three nights running.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #268 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:42:12 pm »
Thermostat set for 18.5°.  Heating has come on three nights running.

Same temp. On the last three mornings (06:15), plus this early evening (but wife had left the back door propped open to facilitate my returning with the week’s shopping.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #269 on: 29 September, 2021, 08:29:43 pm »
First log burn of the year, tosty
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #270 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:08:14 pm »
I raised the thermostat to 20C when barakta came home from hospital (she's living in the dining room for the next few months until she can climb stairs safely, and the downstairs is usually a couple of degrees colder than upstairs).  It's come on a few times in the last couple of days, and I ran it manually at one point to overheat the room before washing her hair.

My feet are now in their not-summer state of perpetual coldness, but it's my fingers that are really suffering on account of the extra hand-washing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #271 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:13:59 pm »
D's hands are cold. D is cold.
I'm OK sitting in my polo shirt.
I don't really want to heat to more than 21C.
That's nnot TOO mean, is it?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #272 on: 29 September, 2021, 09:20:36 pm »
I raised the thermostat to 20C when barakta came home from hospital (she's living in the dining room for the next few months until she can climb stairs safely, and the downstairs is usually a couple of degrees colder than upstairs).
I was cold in your dining room last January! This is pointed out in the spirit of irony rather than criticism. I was also a bit tired, having got up at earlier than normal o'clock, skimped on breakfast to do so, then sat inactive in a car for a couple of hours, so it wasn't entirely due to the temperature of your dining room.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #273 on: 30 September, 2021, 08:16:23 am »
A week ago it seemed that getting to the end of the month without heating would be easy! The gas heating is still off but I'm cheating: I kept a storage heater that can keep 2 rooms warmish all day (I added insulation, so none of this 25+ going down to FA left in evening).

Not walking much today, so trousers methinks. Yesterday was breezy in shorts but I was just getting hot after about 3 miles.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #274 on: 30 September, 2021, 08:26:37 am »
We will definitely make it until tomorrow.
It is simpler than it looks.