Author Topic: (Very) basic video editing, on the go...  (Read 1593 times)

(Very) basic video editing, on the go...
« on: 06 January, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »
I have a helmet cam, which I like to use on holiday (Skiing and motorcycling, primarily - my cycling tends to be day rides). At the end of a day, I might have a couple of hours of footage, with a few gems totalling a few seconds that I would actually like to keep. So I'd like to be able to upload, view, trim and archive video on a mobile computer/device. Said computer must be small (for packing) and cheap ('cause it might get broken).

What are my options? A cheap Android tablet  appeals, but I'm not at all sure if it would work (computing power? Software availability?). A netbook might be an option. A laptop is just too expensive, bought new. Maybe a SH one could be considered?

Does anybody have any experience of this kind of thing?

[I'd also like to be able to deal with photos, but I assume that anything which can do video will find photos a breeze!]
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: (Very) basic video editing, on the go...
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2012, 02:46:08 pm »
I've taken a netbook away with me to do something similar. The biggest problem that I found was that the output of the camera (Contour HD) in 1080p mode is more than the netbook can cope with just to view it.

What I did was to leave the netbook running overnight to convert the days video to 720p and then look at it the next morning, and do minor editing (read as throw 99% away)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2012, 07:30:41 am »
Thanks, Z.

Fortunately, my camera's Standard definition only, so that problem should be moot. Was that a Windows machine? Any special software required?

Does anybody know if an Android machine can be used for this? The camera produces AVI files, if that makes any difference...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

AndyK

(Very) basic video editing, on the go...
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:40:55 am »
A good, simple editing program is called 'Shave'. All it does is allow you to split video into smaller cuts. Ideal for cutting out your gems and discarding unwanted footage.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:45:10 am »
A good, simple editing program is called 'Shave'. All it does is allow you to split video into smaller cuts. Ideal for cutting out your gems and discarding unwanted footage.

Andy, I'm surprised at your response. I was expecting you to recommend a razor blade and some cellulose glue ;)

AndyK

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2012, 08:59:38 am »
Usually I would, but for recording my rides I found the Bolex to be a tad side-heavy on the helmet.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:42:23 am »
What about the alternative of simply keeping all the footage until you get home, with the help of a 2.5" 320/500/750 GB hard drive?  Copy it over with a netbook.  I think a second-hand netbook would be cheaper than a second-hand tablet, and of course smaller and lighter than a laptop.  This would also save more holiday time.  Video editing can be very time-consuming, even when just doing crude chops.

MSI Wind and similar netbooks are pretty powerful.  I think the Wind's original hard drive can be changed for a larger-capacity one, by the way, though it's physically difficult because things are in the way, annoyingly.  Failing that, just have the drive in a USB enclosure.  Check out www.scan.co.uk.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2012, 12:25:28 pm »
Thanks, Z.

Fortunately, my camera's Standard definition only, so that problem should be moot. Was that a Windows machine? Any special software required?

Yes, Windows XP. For resizing I use Any Video Converter, and for editing Picasa.

As Biggsy suggests, I also take a small usb drive with me as well, so I can keep the raw output (and also gives me a backup of still pictures in case the laptop dies)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!