Author Topic: Wordpress Help  (Read 2025 times)

Afasoas

Wordpress Help
« on: 29 January, 2013, 09:06:44 pm »
I've got Wordpress installed on my RasbPi.
When I try and upgrade plugins and themes I get error messages like the following:

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/akismet.2.5.7.zip
Unpacking the update…
An error occurred while updating Akismet: Could not create directory. /srv/www/wp-content/bikeshed.mydomain.co.uk/upgrade.

All updates have been completed.

That path looks wrong.. I'd expect it to be:

/bikeshed.mydomain.co.uk/wp-content/upgrade

The wordpress site is hosted using apache in /var/www/somedir
I'm trying to upgrade via FTP

I have checked when logged in as the FTP user it has the correct privileges to create /var/www/somedir/wp-content/upgrade

Any ideas?
Thanks

Afasoas

Re: Wordpress Help
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »
ach!

Looks like that path is correct - the site is being served from /srv/www/wp-content/bikeshed.mydomain.co.uk/ - not var/www/somedir

Is that right?

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:49:24 pm »
Okay,

I can't find any reference to the /srv/www/wp-content path in any of the Apache configuration, but when I rename /srv/www/wp-content to something else my site dies.

I really would like to understand how this works as I'm planning to host multiple wordpress sites that I'm working on using the rasbpi ... so how does typing mydomain/wordpressblog get translated into a physical path by Apache?

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit thick.
I'm much better with Win IIS

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:55:55 pm »
Have you checked your site settings inside wordpress?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »
Have you checked your site settings inside wordpress?

Yes, they looked fine. Couldn't pick fault with them.

Anyway, I've hosed it down and re-installed it from scratch. All seems to be sorted now. Can't understand it!

Afasoas

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:27:57 am »
Website up and running - theme downloaded - customised.

So now I've started adding content. But in the edit view (tried two different browsers) the text is appearing white on white.

Bit weird?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:39:27 am »
Try reuploading the files, sounds to me like you have a problem with file transfer?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Afasoas

« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »
No the file transfer thing is sorted now.
Only single problem is the that in the edit view when creating a post, the text in the editor is white on white. When actually publishing, it's appearance is fine.

Bit weird!!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2013, 02:32:30 am »
Does everything else on the page appear ok? I wonder if it's not calling the css properly :S

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:12:42 pm »
No the file transfer thing is sorted now.
Only single problem is the that in the edit view when creating a post, the text in the editor is white on white. When actually publishing, it's appearance is fine.

Bit weird!!

That's because you've not told the editor which css to use, you can do this in the functions.php file using some command that can be found on the wordpress codex.  I've not got it to hand because I usually don't bother.

Scratch that, I suspect the theme is doing this but badly so that it's not setting the appropriate text or background colour.  Looking in functions.php may help.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2013, 11:38:31 am »
Yes - I'd blame the theme. Can you try changing theme back to default to check. Or adding a different theme.