Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 217485 times)

Afasoas

Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #200 on: 26 November, 2014, 08:54:00 am »
face:b00c!

Nifty.
*cough* TalkTalk *cough*. No IPv6. And apparently no IPv6 over IPv4 tunnelling?

« Reply #201 on: 26 November, 2014, 09:11:01 am »
Sky (ex-O2/Be) fails too.

I take it I can't sort this for my own use simply by choosing a third-party DNS server? I also take it it's largely irrelevant for home use and browsing at the moment.

http://test-ipv6.com/ tells me

• Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 94.**.**.**
  • Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be BSKYB-BROADBAND-AS British Sky Broadcasting Limited,GB
  • No IPv6 address detected
  • Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.
  • You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.
  • Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your readiness score
0/10   for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

That "Good news!" in the middle is a tad limited ...

« Reply #202 on: 26 November, 2014, 10:34:52 am »
Workwise, loads of stuff and I probably can't talk about any of it :(

On my home vps, I fiddled with my backup scripts to run them once a week instead of daily and then tweaked the scripts to create folders on the remote backup server for each run.

I'm backing up to box.com which kindly gave me 50gb free data in the cloud because of some corporate deal, however they disabled use of the apps for the free account. Some digging revealed though that the webdav (yes really) interface could be used and cadaver was deployed on Linux to handle the uploading.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Afasoas

« Reply #203 on: 02 January, 2015, 10:27:46 pm »
Replaced a dead PSU in a recent Lenovo desktop for a family friend.

Attempted to upgrade a Dell machine - which should have been an open and shut case - but further investigation shows Dell used two ever so slightly different boards fairly interchangeably in these machines. The particular flavour of board in the machine I wanted to upgrade won't work with the CPU I've acquired. So bah. I've posted a long-shot wanted advert here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87258.0

Finally, installed an additional USB ethernet interface on my firewall and swapped the LAN/WAN/DMZ interfaces around a bit so WAN and DMZ are using the slower USB interfaces and the on-board gigabit interfaces are used for the home LAN and my LAB.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #204 on: 02 January, 2015, 11:44:26 pm »
And see who can visit this website:

http://loopsofzen.co.uk/

Call your ISP if you can't.

Which one? VPN over Virginn to the Uni doesn't work, but that is hardly surprising.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #205 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:34:38 am »
No DNS on that web link.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #206 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:29:53 pm »
Been playing with hard drives and nas boxes.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Afasoas

« Reply #207 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:42:21 pm »
No DNS on that web link.

See, no A-record ( legacy IPv4 ).
Hassle your ISP.   They are supposed to be providing *Internet* access.
All of it.
Not just the old legacy IPv4 corner of the Internet.

Afasoas

« Reply #208 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:43:42 pm »
Just run two lengths of Cat 5e cable along the exterior of the house from the garage to the living room. I'll get that terminated and tested when I've dried off a bit.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #209 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »
Kim reinstalled my OS for/with me so I have a clean Debian install with Mate frontend as opposed to a mishmash of upgradey mishmash messy cruft which was behaving very strangely... 

She even managed to get the 2 monitors to work in about 1 minute and the sound in under 10 mins which is always an achievement. 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #210 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »
No DNS on that web link.

( Afasoas has already replied with the reason. )

But since it's the festive season:

"Oh, Yes, There Is!"
"It's Behind You!"

You just can't see it, because your DNS server is only serving up IPv4 addresses ( like 1.2.3.4 ), and the site in question does not have an IPv4 address: it's IPv6 only.   It's IP address *is* in DNS: it's 2001:8b0:0:30::666:102. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #211 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:17:51 pm »
I bought this HP Pavilion laptop for 400 quid in the summer and it's been stuck in my cupboard more or less ever since because the wi-fi just wouldn't work consistently; I went back to the very slow old netbook.  Anyway, Linux Mint 17.1 has fixed it.  17 doesn't have decent drivers for the Realtek wireless adapter, it seems.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #212 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:27:04 pm »
Removed all the crap that comes with a new laptop. 20+ programs that I know that the user will never use and if they needed to create something that these programs can do they will never pick them because everyone else is using something else.

Oh and a side note chrome have been my choice of browser since it got out, so having to use IE to download chrome, boy that annoyed me. So used to that I can search and enter urls in the same place, along with the location of the refresh, back/forward/stop buttons are.

It is right up there to when you have used your android phone to write stuff for a long time and then you get back to a normal keyboard and hit the space bar twice and expect a full stop and the first letter typed to be capital.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #213 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:00:25 pm »
I went back to the very slow old netbook.  Anyway, Linux Mint 17.1 has fixed it.

Likewise: installed Mint 17.1 Rebecca/LXCE on my EeePC netbook (in lieu of Win 7 Home Basic) and whoa! Total transformation.  :thumbsup:

I had tried to upgrade it previously but its single RAM mount is "permanently" soldered in place, so not easily swappable, so I was stuck on <1Gb. (That's probably why it seemed a cheap deal when I bought it 18 months ago...) Even using an SD card for Readyboost made little obvious difference (other than generate loads of error/device check messages on every other re-boot).

But Mint, with the SD card now allocated to /swap, runs great.

Music library reinstalled for Banshee. I just cannot get it to sync the playlists though. The Banshee setup from the deskie isn't liked on the nettie, even though the relative file structures are identical. So I'll need a few nights replicating playlists now...

But no more f*nnying about trying to connect to ASUS-cloud (if that was what the damn thing was perpetually trying to do), or ASUSupdate (couldn't get Windoze to actually uninstall/ignore these services) or UAC nonsense. Such joy  :D
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #214 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »
Nothing really fettled, but one of my clients has suddenly received a cartload of bounced emails he never sent, so I've been chasing that down. Boring. He's a motor-mouth, too, yak yak yak yak yaketty yak.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #215 on: 09 January, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »
Nothing really fettled, but one of my clients has suddenly received a cartload of bounced emails he never sent, so I've been chasing that down. Boring. He's a motor-mouth, too, yak yak yak yak yaketty yak.

Spammers use real domains as return address, I get it all the time. Nothing you can do about it as far as I can see.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #216 on: 09 January, 2015, 07:35:17 pm »
Cursed a very crufty windows XP laptop running dyslexia screening software as I tried to get CutePDF + PS2PDF installed on it via usb pen (I deliberately killed/crippled all wireless/networking so it didn't MEEP at students doing their screening tests)...

Apparently it is now crashing mid-screening cos the screening software is "edumacational software" and coded about as well.  Horrible piece of crap!  I have now booked out 3 hours in my calendar next week to sort out the upgrade laptop for the dyslexia advisers/screening which has been hiding under TPoC in my office for about 6 months  :-[ 

I'll need to ensure I match all the coloured dots on all the plugs, wires, etc and rewrite the "guidance" cos the woman who operates the thing is the world's 3rd biggest luddite and she freaks if 2 new icons appear on a desktop despite having watched me save the files there...  1st and 2nd biggest luddites are also users but they won't bother to read or pay attention, they'll be helpless at me till I do the 30s job cos it's quicker than the 15 mins of sob story!

Afasoas

« Reply #217 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:31:34 am »
Immense geekery during the last few days, some of it whilst I should have been doing my books. Also restarted work on a long overdue website for a fellow YACFer.

NFS and Kerberos are now finally tamed. 5 different client PCs all now have access to shares on the server. Server is running a Plex Media Server so we're also able to stream media around the house. Although it has a nice swish web GUI, the server component is quite exploitable so it's LAN only running inside a VM.

Could do with fixing Samba now for Windows shares.

« Reply #218 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:04:50 am »
Simple Job - Installed replacement router with Wireless Networking at  chez 'Steve OYTT Abrahams'. binned the Talk-Talk meh one.
Just  happened to  have a Zyexel P660HW with me - new, but old stock. The  line adaption is working hard ~1.25 MB/S download

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #219 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:00:05 pm »
Attempting to recover data from a seriously unhappy HDD.  "Scanning Data", it says.  "Reading sector 1710143 of 585922681"

I have a feeling this could take a while.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #220 on: 16 January, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
I left that ^^^^ running for A Very Long Time.  It scarcely made any progress.  I stopped it and reconnected everything to the old XP machine.  It has started finding Stuffs already and it's only been going long enough for me to make a cup of Brown Drink.  WTF ???

Afasoas

« Reply #221 on: 20 January, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »
After a week of running faultlessly, the Plex server decided it didn't want to do NFS properly. I could list the contents of the mounted shares, but not the contents of any files. I could still delete files, but not create them. And even more oddly, out of the three mounted NFS shares, one still worked perfectly even though the configuration was identical.

Anyway, after rebuilding the Plex server from scratch and perfectly reproducing the problem, I fixed it on a hunch by changing the mount type from nfs to nfs4. It looks for some reason like the Plex server was defaulting to nfs3 - which won't work because I haven't enabled statd. I haven't seen that behaviour on any of the other mint/ubuntu boxen, so I'm figuring it something to do with the Plex server being virtualised (using kvm/libvirt) and accessing shares from it's own NFS host.

I did try using virtio/virtfs to give the Plex server direct access to the shares on the host, but that doesn't play nice with ZFS.

Afasoas

« Reply #222 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:37:49 pm »
Dell server in the man cave is now doing hypervising duties, with the first virtual machine up and running. I'll be using it initially just to figure out how I can make Samba/NFS/Kerberos play nice and then a bit later on trying Windows/Linux AD integration just to spike single sign on for work.

« Reply #223 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »
I blew some (but not all) dust off a monitor.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #224 on: 01 February, 2015, 10:31:07 pm »
After much stopping, restarting, swearing and doink-doink noises I now have a large number of .mp3 files scraped off the sick external HDD.  Now just need to identify which ones are actually useful.  This could take a while.