Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 217199 times)

Phil W

Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #425 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:33:15 pm »
They intersect with a gpx track, when you ride up hills...

Exactly. You calculate the contour intersects of a GPS track.  From that you can calculate ascent / descent, the same as you would with a paper map, but far far quicker.

« Reply #426 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:25:31 pm »
Swapped barakta's pair of decent-if-oldish Iiyama monitors for a couple of mismatched crusty Dells that were doing menial duties elsewhere, to what she reports is a vast improvement.

So, does anyone make decent matte displays in the Century of the Fruitbat?  Word on the gamerwebs seems to be Eizo. I blame Steve, who will have lived in a world of impeccable lighting design and probably enjoyed fastidiously polishing his monitor every morning.

Probably doesn't help that my 12 year old Eizo L768 is matt and still performs better than most, although I would say its strength is colour rendition rather than contrast. They may have changed since then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #427 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:34:40 pm »
Swapped barakta's pair of decent-if-oldish Iiyama monitors for a couple of mismatched crusty Dells that were doing menial duties elsewhere, to what she reports is a vast improvement.

So, does anyone make decent matte displays in the Century of the Fruitbat?  Word on the gamerwebs seems to be Eizo. I blame Steve, who will have lived in a world of impeccable lighting design and probably enjoyed fastidiously polishing his monitor every morning.

Probably doesn't help that my 12 year old Eizo L768 is matt and still performs better than most, although I would say its strength is colour rendition rather than contrast. They may have changed since then.

Given barakta's visual issues, it seems that glare reduction and elimination of flicker override pretty much all other monitor-selection criteria.  I suppose I'd also consider a crusty Dell to be an improvement if it instantly cured my headache.

Given that she's got the same number of pixels that she had previously, we're going to see how she gets on with them for a while before considering an upgrade.

But yeah, shiny screens are a complete pain in the, erm, eyes.  The advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages in all but the most optimal lighting conditions.  I reckon they're particularly stupid on portable devices, for that reason.  Humbug.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #428 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:06:26 am »
I've got a 2-3 yr old Dell, a respectable 24" one with an IPS screen, 16:10 aspect ratio, and a matt screen.  I have rubbish lighting in my office, and no reflection issues. Decent Dells are quite nice, lesser ones, unsurprisingly, less so  :facepalm:
Wombat

Afasoas

« Reply #429 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:22:42 am »
Samsung's range of monitors aimed at businesses tend to have matt screens. I'm sat here in front of a pair of S24C450's.
I wouldn't use them for photo editing but for day to day use fettling servers etc. they're dandy.

ian

« Reply #430 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:41:41 am »
The mothership gave me a horrible Dell the other year, it has some kind of diffusing matt coating on it which I assume is anti-reflective. In practice it just looks dirty. I gave it to someone less discerning.

I've matt screens but I'm going the shiny route. Never really had an issue with this Macbook Air, the simple expedient of having blinds in my office and minor positioning adjustments seem to prevent glare. Your milage may vary. The plus sides are the high contrast and rich, inky blacks that glossy screens bring.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #431 on: 20 October, 2015, 10:42:18 am »
I use televisions.  The only downside of reading the forum on a forty-inch screen about three metres away is that I have to move my head to read to the end of the line ;D. I suspect my needs are not as exacting as those of some of youse lot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #432 on: 20 October, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »
I've matt screens but I'm going the shiny route. Never really had an issue with this Macbook Air, the simple expedient of having blinds in my office and minor positioning adjustments seem to prevent glare. Your milage may vary.

Blinds and light switches are a luxury that barakta's workplace has yet to achieve.  It's no coincidence that she's currently in bed with balance fail.

At home we have controllable lighting and a fully functional set of curtains, but I have this awkward habit of wanting to open them for at least some of the day.  Compromise and negotiation.

It's probably fair to say that contrast is fairly low down on barakta's list of priorities.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #433 on: 20 October, 2015, 12:56:14 pm »
I use televisions.  The only downside of reading the forum on a forty-inch screen about three metres away is that I have to move my head to read to the end of the line ;D

Barakta has to do that with books and normal size monitors, thobut.

Afasoas

« Reply #434 on: 21 October, 2015, 12:29:01 am »
Mangling some PL/PGSQL to garner statistics out of our build and deployment process.

And the fourth consecutive day of watching helplessly as links between our customers/data centres succumb to heavy internet traffic. We've actually had three confirmed DDOS attacks on other customers hosted at our two data centres. Once of the DCs is peered with two 10GB links - and as it takes some effort to saturate those linkes, we don't notice DDOS traffic. On top of that, links to Amazon hosted services in Ireland are getting routed via the Netherlands.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #435 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:41:47 pm »
Installed Rasbian on my new Pi, though not sure what was the most fun. Unboxing, booting up for the first time then SSH into it and installing Rasbian or building a case for it in LEGO.

Got openvpn, small webserver and irssi running on it now what else to do with it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #436 on: 30 October, 2015, 10:08:27 am »
Took my PC out to the workshop & blasted it out with the compressed air.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #437 on: 30 October, 2015, 10:11:19 am »
[...] building a case for it in LEGO.

Pictures or it didn't happen :)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #438 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:31:16 pm »
Discovered a 120mb log file of failed log in attempts on the church's website. I've now implemented an IP blocking tool to prevent such things.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #439 on: 30 October, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »
Installed latest Windows 10 Update (to build 10565). It took about 4 hours :o and managed to mess up the apps pinned to 'Start' - again :facepalm: . Not found anything else broken ... yet.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Afasoas

« Reply #440 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:13:48 pm »
Learning about Linux Containers (LXC). All good fun.

simonp

« Reply #441 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:38:45 am »
Implemented a bunch of tests and set them off to run overnight.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #442 on: 12 November, 2015, 11:29:26 am »
I'm upgrading my media server/tv recording box. It died recently due to a dead mobo :(. I have:

- new mini-ITX mobo with (Intel Celery 3150)
- 4GB RAM
- a currently unused 1TB drive (former NAS drive, since upgraded)
which will go in the existing case. I'm awaiting delivery of a new TV tuner (HD, natch)

The spec may seem a little OTT for the task in hand but it leaves some room for extra features :smug:.
Pen Pusher

Afasoas

« Reply #443 on: 12 November, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »
That spec doesn't seem OTT at all. That board offers a very nice performance-per-watt ratio indeed.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #444 on: 14 November, 2015, 10:36:22 am »
Put ES File Explorer and Songpal onto two mobiles. This allows us to download mp3s from the network and play them on the new soundbase, which arrived yesterday. Rather disappointed that you can't Googlecast side loaded songs or video!

Songpal, crap name for an app but brilliant at what it does.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Afasoas

« Reply #445 on: 14 November, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »
Rather disappointed that you can't Googlecast side loaded songs or video!

I would see this as a plus!
You could use DLNA.
There's a few other options too, intranet radio.

I'll be looking at spinning my own at some point.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #446 on: 14 November, 2015, 02:30:55 pm »
Rather disappointed that you can't Googlecast side loaded songs or video!

I would see this as a plus!
You could use DLNA.
There's a few other options too, intranet radio.

I'll be looking at spinning my own at some point.

The soundbase will play from a DNLA box, in fact it sees the Popcorn Hour box straight away. However being able to use GC would have been nice but it forces you to use content from Playstore. I have ~100g of MP3s and >1Tb of videos which I can play other ways (reminds me I really must re-enable Twonky on the filestore)

However I was more interested in streaming from Android devices.

BTW we are using a Sony HT-XT3 as the soundbase
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #447 on: 14 November, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »
Configuring a Kindle Fire for Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)  It is being frustrating, though this may be the fault of his shit wireless router being shit.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #448 on: 14 November, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »
The soundbase will play from a DNLA box, in fact it sees the Popcorn Hour box straight away. However being able to use GC would have been nice but it forces you to use content from Playstore. I have ~100g of MP3s and >1Tb of videos which I can play other ways (reminds me I really must re-enable Twonky on the filestore)

However I was more interested in streaming from Android devices.

BTW we are using a Sony HT-XT3 as the soundbase
You can upload all of your own music to Google Play. Then you can play it through the Android app, and cast to Chromecast etc.
It allows up to 50,000 tracks for free. Though it might take a while to upload it all...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #449 on: 14 November, 2015, 05:43:43 pm »
Fixed BBC iPlayer on the Squeezbox again  ::-) Wondering how long before it stops working permanently.