Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 216725 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #950 on: 18 October, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »
First question have you checked that the backup of that is working ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #951 on: 19 October, 2018, 08:15:53 am »
there is no backup

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #952 on: 19 October, 2018, 08:59:06 am »
oh so that IS the backup :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #953 on: 19 October, 2018, 10:21:57 am »
'actly so

It is triple redundant and can be mirrored to other triple redundant place but there is no backup

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #954 on: 19 October, 2018, 11:53:40 am »
Ran some more Ethernet cable so barakta can plug her work laptop into the WiFi VLAN (which is firewalled from the important stuff), so that VNC will perform acceptably well.  This will allow her to avoid the keyboard-of-annoyingness and the screen that flickers at 200Hz without the indignity of swapping cables.

Also cleaned various dust intakes I discovered along the way, and evicted a spider from the back of the patch panel.

« Reply #955 on: 19 October, 2018, 12:31:45 pm »
Bought a metal cased TP link 8 way switch at Argos for increasingly complicated TV, Enet and modem central.  Bit of a bargain at less than £20 with lifetime warranty. Plug in and go.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #956 on: 19 October, 2018, 12:46:12 pm »
Does looking at computer stuff and thinking about what I should do.

Afasoas

« Reply #957 on: 25 October, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »
Took a circa 2009 Pentium D desktop, added a temporary disk and installed debian so that I could run Sophos AV. Amased it still boots. Evicted over 20 virii/trojans/worms. Now to recover data (mainly pictures)and make it available to the relative that tasked me with darn thing, before ceremoniously scrapping the machine (it's more use as a space heater than a computer).

Migrated the Windows partition from my seldom-used desktop from a 500GB SDD to a 128GB SSD. The larger SSD will replace a 128GB SSD on the DMZ server so that another relative can use Nextcloud desktop sync to backup their pictures.

Acquired some more RAM for the backup server so when I eventually get around to rebuilding it with MDADM RAID1 boot disks, more efficient CPU and more efficient power supply*, it will in a pinch be able to run firewall**, monitoring and media server virtual machines.

*I've had most the bits sitting on a shelf for upwards of 6 months, including enough SSDs to also rebuild the main server onto MDADM RAID1 boot disks

**In an ideal world in which I could afford multiple static IPs on each internet connection, I'd run both firewalls redundantly

« Reply #958 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:34:19 pm »
**In an ideal world in which I could afford multiple static IPs on each internet connection, I'd run both firewalls redundantly

Is there no opensource firewall that uses a VIP when its doing redundancy ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #959 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:41:44 pm »
And to answer my own question pfsense does:

https://www.pfsense.org/
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #960 on: 26 October, 2018, 12:59:45 pm »
Tried to. We have had a toshiba VHS/DVD/HDD player recorder that has just died. No big deal, but it was what I used to transfer stuff wanted from VHS onto DVD, via HDD. Those old vids were sitting on the HD, so I thought I would open up and see if I could make a backup copy.

Inside, a standard PATA, 150Gb drive. set as slave. OK, think I, must be some embedded linux. Find a functioning Linux install on a motherboard with IDE & SATA, faff around getting it going. Install gparted. Run. "Unallocated space" Why would anyone create their own OS? Oh well.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #961 on: 26 October, 2018, 01:15:58 pm »
Might it be that it is does actually have partitions with a 'normal' filesystem on it, but that the partition ID has been deliberately set to some non-standard value to prevent it from mounting on a PC for whatever reason?

Some PCs with recovery partitions do that - the recovery partition is actually just a regular FAT partition, but in the partition table it's ID is set to some weird value to prevent windows from recognizing it and mounting it as a drive letter.

« Reply #962 on: 26 October, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »
yebbut you can still see it as a partition (I know, I just deleted one) this is "unallocated"

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #963 on: 26 October, 2018, 02:22:44 pm »
Sometimes the drives aren't readable like sky ones.

« Reply #964 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:29:16 am »
Over last few weeks (am slow at this) on acer xc600

imaged drive (macrium)
fitted ssd
installed windows 10
noticably considerably speeded up
re-installed software
fitted faster cpu (i5 3330 to i5 3579k) tried new fan, but had not made contact scary moment when cpu read 100 c  :o
refitted old fan
speeded up

Afasoas

« Reply #965 on: 03 November, 2018, 10:30:00 pm »
And to answer my own question pfsense does:

https://www.pfsense.org/

You need a public IP for each firewall, plus VIP. So that's three.
And then you in 2 IPs for each modem - one on the internet, one on interface to the firewalls.

Suppose you can do it with 3 if using BGP and announcing your own routes?

That's plumbing the depths of my knowledge really.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #966 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
Deleted the photos and video clips from my flickr account likewise the flickr account that held them.

The new owners have decided that soon (Jan.) free accounts will be limited to 1,000 photos rather than the 1TB that's currently allowed and it looks like they're also going to make it difficult / impossible to continue using the old Yahoo logins.

Never mind.  It was quite handy while it lasted and I didn't pay any money for it while I was using it. 

Anyone suggest a (non-Google) alternative? 

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #967 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:20:30 pm »
So, you used Flickr, and trusted Ya!hoo!! but you don't like Google. And you want stuff free. Fair enough, your choice, if slightly inconsistent.

TheLurker

« Reply #968 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:51:47 pm »
So, you used Flickr, and trusted Ya!hoo!! but you don't like Google. And you want stuff free. Fair enough, your choice, if slightly inconsistent.
Who said I trusted them?  I used them because Google was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when I set the Yahoo acct up and if they've been able to extract any value from the crap and generally misleading data I set up my Yahoo account with, getting on for 15 to 20 years ago, then jolly good luck to them.  Oh yeah the Flickr acct, which was only 10 years old, was likewise an utter fabrication as far as personal details went.

Now we've finished with the obligatory name-calling I'll repeat my request for a non-Google alternative to Flickr.  And no it doesn't have to be free, but very, very cheap would be good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #969 on: 06 November, 2018, 05:56:23 pm »
Facebook?

TheLurker

« Reply #970 on: 06 November, 2018, 06:51:23 pm »

« Reply #971 on: 07 November, 2018, 06:36:54 am »
Who said I trusted them?  I used them because Google was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when I set the Yahoo acct up and if they've been able to extract any value from the crap and generally misleading data I set up my Yahoo account with, getting on for 15 to 20 years ago, then jolly good luck to them.  Oh yeah the Flickr acct, which was only 10 years old, was likewise an utter fabrication as far as personal details went.

Now we've finished with the obligatory name-calling I'll repeat my request for a non-Google alternative to Flickr.  And no it doesn't have to be free, but very, very cheap would be good.

I've re-read what I said, and can't find any name calling there, sorry.

For some reason, you are happy creating a fictitious Yahoo account but not a fictitious Google account. Let's be honest here, both companies will try to "monetise" what you use them for, if mail, then they have access to substantial hard data, if just pictures, much less so. All I'm highlighting is that you are being somewhat inconsistent, which is your prerogative. I can fully understand why anyone feels uncomfortable about how the megacorps handle and use the data we give them, while I'm informed and comfortable with the deal I don't expect everyone to be. While it is only my opinion that Facebook and Ya!hoo! are the more evil players, it is a supportable argument.

If you want private, then you can run your own hosting server, there are some cheapish deals around, but expect it to cost you at least £50 year, likely more. Of course you won't have the security that the GoogleHoo provide, but as we all know that comes with strings. Dropbox is probably the sort of storage service you are after, or maybe smugmug for photos.

TheLurker

« Reply #972 on: 07 November, 2018, 07:24:31 am »
No, your reply wasn't blatant name-calling but it was at that level and completely irrelevant to the question that was asked.

> ... you are happy creating a fictitious Yahoo account...
It was created so long ago that there was no requirement to confirm that details entered were genuine.  It's the only reason I maintain the account.

« Reply #973 on: 07 November, 2018, 08:03:59 am »
.....or maybe smugmug for photos.

And these are the new owners of Flickr, so presumable out of bounds too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #974 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:10:26 pm »
I'll repeat my request for a non-Google alternative to Flickr.  And no it doesn't have to be free, but very, very cheap would be good.

Was reading about the changes to Flickr on another site and Piwigo came up as an alternative that some have been using.

There's a self-hosted version that you can download and install on a MySQL database, or a cloud-hosted one at €39 a year. I'm tempted to upgrade the hosting I have already to accommodate running my own instance.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)