Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 216747 times)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1100 on: 09 March, 2020, 08:16:47 am »
Ron - I've recently decommissioned a microserver that had its PSU replaced 6 months beforehand - if you want the PSU (free) let me know. I scrapped most of it but kept the PSU.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1101 on: 09 March, 2020, 06:09:17 pm »
I've sent you a PM...

Feanor

« Reply #1102 on: 12 March, 2020, 07:34:09 pm »
And the server is restored to it's normal state, with all it's entrails contained within it as nature intended.

Thanks to Maverick for the PSU.

<Mops eyes: I do love a happy ending. (Settle down at the back!)>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1103 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:32:49 pm »
I tried to upgrade my ssd today but I failed.  I inserted the 1TB Seagate Firecuda 810 into an Icybox and plugged it into a usb port.  Windows could see the new drive.  I bought a copy of Acronus Disk Director 12.5 to clone the old drive.  I grabbed a usb key drive and used Disk Director's media creator tool to make a bootable usb device.  Except it wasn't. I could not get it to boot.  Eventually I noticed that the USB had been formatted to exFat not FAT32. Almost the same but not quite.  So I re-partitioned the usb thumb drive to less than 32GB and formatted it as FAT32. This time I succesfully made a bootable version of Disk Director and it displayed all my drives including the boot disk with windows 10 I wanted to clone/expand and the new Firecuda ready to have the new copy.  The plan clone the Samsung EVO 500mb NVMe drive to the Firecuda then swap the Firecuda into the NVMe slot finally boot with the new drive and lots of free space.   At this point I discover that Disk Director 12.5 cannot clone GPT partitioned disks.

I was very disappointed I think I used a system with GPT over ten years ago. It is now the default with all modern UEFI bios systems.

Afasoas

« Reply #1104 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:04:30 pm »
Got all my domestic engineering done over the weekend, and started winding down ready to design a leaflet for a local campaigning organisation.
I'm outside vaping and I realise there's no Internet.

I venture into the cave and find the server has switched itself off. I turn it on. It boots to BIOS. The boot disk is missing from the list of SATA devices.
I breath a heavy sigh. I have had two SSDs on a shelf for a long time waiting for me to rebuild the boot disk onto redundant software RAID (MDADM). Looks like I didn't get around to it in time.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1105 on: 19 March, 2020, 09:24:50 am »
The home working set up is now 100%

I have two big dell monitors, headset, video splitter to drive the two screens, USB-C gadget to make my Mac book attach to everything, bluetooth keyboard/mouse

And an electric heater

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1106 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:42:58 pm »
I breath a heavy sigh. I have had two SSDs on a shelf for a long time waiting for me to rebuild the boot disk onto redundant software RAID (MDADM). Looks like I didn't get around to it in time.
Which version of Linux are you using?  I couldn't find a way to get Mint to boot off RAID so I'm currently using a small non-raid boot partition with RAID1 for the bulk.  I'm not happy with that so I've bought an Adaptec 6405 hardware raid controller off ebay.  T'was only £15 though that doubles once you add a genuine Adaptec cable plus a few quid more for the generic SFF-8087 to SATA cable that doesn't work.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1107 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:32:33 pm »
Which version of Linux are you using?  I couldn't find a way to get Mint to boot off RAID
grub2 supports both lvm and software raid1; I'm booting Debian stable that way (lvm on md raid1) but I would expect any relatively recent Linux to work. I have a md raid1 array built from gpt partitions, on the raid1 I have lvm, and then I have lvm partitions for / and /home (I don't use a separate /boot). One complication is that I'm using uefi and things didn't work if the /boot/efi partition was on raid, so I have a small efi partition on each of my raid1 disks but only one is mounted on boot.

« Reply #1108 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:04:54 am »
[One complication is that I'm using uefi and things didn't work if the /boot/efi partition was on raid, so I have a small efi partition on each of my raid1 disks but only one is mounted on boot.
To clarify, this restriction exists because the efi partition is accessed by the motherboard firmware and the firmware doesn't understand linux filesystems, that's why the efi partition contains a vfat filesystem. The firmware loads grub from the efi partition, then grub boots linux from software raid.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1109 on: 20 March, 2020, 11:22:01 am »
Downloading visual studio community edition. If the disk tool I buy does not do what I want I will write my own. Tricky.  I am good at drivers but user level stuff is scary to me :-)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #1110 on: 20 March, 2020, 02:58:20 pm »
At this point I discover that Disk Director 12.5 cannot clone GPT partitioned disks.

I was very disappointed I think I used a system with GPT over ten years ago. It is now the default with all modern UEFI bios systems.   

Macrium Reflect can, even the free version.

I used TrueImage Echo for years, but I had progressively more problems with Acronnis software, and gave up on them and use Macrium Reflect now.

Dave

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1111 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:45:15 pm »
At this point I discover that Disk Director 12.5 cannot clone GPT partitioned disks.

Macrium Reflect can, even the free version.

I used TrueImage Echo for years, but I had progressively more problems with Acronnis software, and gave up on them and use Macrium Reflect now.

Dave

I downloaded Seagate's disk software and used that to clone the ssd.  I unplugged the 'puter and put it on its side. I removed the graphics card to access to the NVME slot. Removed the Samsung EVO and replaced it with the Seagate Firecuda. Replaced the graphics card and and tempered glass side. Placed the computer back on the floor. Connected the cables and switched on. It booted up and I am writing this message. Job done.

« Reply #1112 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:00:52 pm »
Ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB version).

Daughter has a Pi 3 (1GB) at the moment and Kano (the OS) has moved on and many bits are a bit slow due to bumping up against the available memory, 4GB (and the improved processor) should make it fly for Scratch and Minecraft.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1113 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:05:22 pm »
Having passed my laptop to a friend who is now unemployed so he can job hunt, I have now set up my QuietPC desktop system in the Media Lounge connected to the big smart tv.

Very happy.   :D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1114 on: 26 March, 2020, 11:57:24 am »
I moved the unused Sony SRS-ZP1000 active speakers from my computer to the family computer.  2 x 13cm x 34cm x 20cm has cleared a lot of room on my desk. Looks really odd at the moment. A great sound improvement to the speakers in the monitor of the family computer.

« Reply #1115 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:12:11 pm »
Ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB version).

Daughter has a Pi 3 (1GB) at the moment and Kano (the OS) has moved on and many bits are a bit slow due to bumping up against the available memory, 4GB (and the improved processor) should make it fly for Scratch and Minecraft.

It finally arrived (a week after being posted Royal Mail Tracked 24) and I realised that the only USB-C cable I have is the one that powers my work laptop so I've ordered one (and a couple of adapters from MicroUSB) and a case (which I forgot to get last time). Hopefully this lot will arrive sooner (although it's hardly urgent).

SoreTween

« Reply #1116 on: 14 April, 2020, 07:32:55 pm »
Started on the last machine in project get-off-windows, my mail server.  This began with a job I really wasn't looking forward to, shutting down the whole of Technology Corner in the office in order to extract the bottom of heap server.  Desktop, server, NAS and UPS all removed, re-stacked and re-cabled.  It wasn't as difficult a job as feared (which should have set alarm bells ringing).  It also reminded me that the server is connected (by USB) to the UPS, I never did get it working to shut everything down gracefully.

So onto the server:
  • Connect it to a spare input on the new huge screen so that I can get rid of the old postage stamp server screen (15" 1280x1024) freeing up a bit of space.  Nuts, doesn't work.  Not sure if the screen isn't being detected or if the very elderly card is waving the white flag when the screen tells it what resolution it wants.  If I boot into BIOS connected to the old screen then connect the monster (34" 3840x1600) it works.  Looks like a video card upgrade will be needed, more expense.
  • Install the additional 8Gb RAM I got off ebay (to go to 12Gb).  Nuts, doesn't work.  Computer just goes into an endless post cycle.  The sticks I bought are 1 letter different to what crucial.com currently lists for the motherboard, I guess that letter is significant.  Different Corsair RAM found on ebay, exactly the part listed for the mobo.  More expense.
  • Install the Adaptec RAID card and pair of SSDs.   That, thankfully works though I knew it would because the mobo, raid card and SSDs in my desktop are identical.

I'll start the Mint installation after the RAM arrives and just live with the postage stamp screen for now I think.

SoreTween

« Reply #1117 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:07:51 pm »
Bah :-(

I ordered a matched set of 4 4Gb sticks of Crucial RAM from ebay, it's starting to smell like one of them is bad :-(  Random complete system lockups but it all passed a memtest.  Initially I was thinking the years (over a decade!) unused 2nd pair of slots was bad, whenever I ran 4 sticks it would quickly freeze, sometimes not even POST.  It would run for 3 hours with either pair but then on a longer test failed overnight on 1 pair.  If the 2nd pair survives tonight I'll be getting somewhere.

SoreTween

« Reply #1118 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:18:29 pm »
The only grumble is there's no on screen display manager for linux.  Trying to do PIP using the buttons is tedious to the point of giving up.  It's not ViewSonic to blame - there's no support for hdmi-cec or DisplayPort aux channel in the NVidia drivers nor in nouveau.

I was wrong-ish.  Control of a monitor doesn't use hdmi-cec or DisplayPort aux channel, it presents as an i2c device.  ddcutil can see it, haven't tested controlling yet.
Meanwhile building the latest ddcutil was an utter mission.  The version in the mint software suppository is 3 years out of date and the version in the authors ppa is 2 years out of date (he only builds for the latest Ubuntu).  Next mission, and I'm told it is a mission, is to build the UI.  The UI requires a very recent version.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1119 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:44:17 pm »
Started on the last machine in project get-off-windows, my mail server

I stopped running my own Linux email server, oh what 10 years ago?

It's a waste of time when Google can do it so well and cheaply for you

Feanor

« Reply #1120 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:31:16 pm »
I'm still running my own e-mail server.
For various hysterical raisins, it's on a Win server box.
I'm using hMailServer.
I really quite like it, and it's not too maintenance intensive.

I also have roudcube webmail running on a linux box, targeting it.
This also works very well.

I like the fact that *I* have control over everything.
And my mail is not being scraped by google.

Yes, I out-source the spam filtering in hMailServer to various 3-rd party services.
But I can instantly white-list any false positives at my whim.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1121 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:42:07 pm »
My mail server is better at not losing mail than Plusnet, better at not hiding things than Google, has effectively unlimited storage and is faster than my internet connection.  Given that it's a toss up between hosting it locally or paying for an equivalent service elsewhere, I consider it the path of least resistance.  Of course, there isn't any Windows involved, which helps.

« Reply #1122 on: 21 April, 2020, 12:18:52 am »
My mail server is better at not losing mail than Plusnet, better at not hiding things than Google, has effectively unlimited storage and is faster than my internet connection.  Given that it's a toss up between hosting it locally or paying for an equivalent service elsewhere, I consider it the path of least resistance.  Of course, there isn't any Windows involved, which helps.

I had a problem with BT's mail server treating all my outbound mail as spam a couple of days ago.  So I resurrected an old mail server and routed all my mail through that, only to find that BT broadband won't allow subscribers to use their own mail server.

It bounced all my outbound mail with a lovely message that "It is the policy of BT Retail that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to BT Retail customers. Please consult the following URL for details on how to configure your email client appropriately."

That was a great help.  Even more helpful was BT's online support, who advised that they would need to excalate the issue to their second-line support in India, who would be happy to get back to me once the lockdown there was over.   ???

Happily, as these things do, the problem resolved itself the next day, though it left me considering carefully who my next ISP should be ...

Feanor

« Reply #1123 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:21:02 am »
Yes, most domestic ISPs will not allow you to run your own e-mail server unless you 'forward' outbound mail via their server.
This is intentional, and will not be resolved by their support.
It is, as you say, a matter of policy.

FWIW, even if they did allow it, many recipients will block mail originating from domestic ISP Dynamic IPs as spam anyway.

Need to get a better ISP if you want to play this game.

« Reply #1124 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:38:37 am »
You can still run your own mail server though, it just needs to know to send all outbound email to the ISPs email server.

Being in control of inbound mail is often more useful, but the two can be made completely separate.