Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 212485 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: DOTD
« Reply #475 on: 15 June, 2016, 08:31:27 am »
I rather thought this thread was for examples of cyclists' ineptitude and the 'Today's Motorised Moron' thread was for drivers of motorised vehicles.

Or have I got that wrong ?

I do believe you're right.  Apologies.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #476 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:15:51 am »
Sorry, displaying sam-like tendencies there.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #477 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »
Perhaps not quite DOTD but certainly a bit stupid. Me. Coming from here and wanting to go straight on, there was a bus coming from left as I circulated the roundabout so I gave a nice big left turn signal and... well, use streetview and you'll see!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #478 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:33:32 am »
The thicko arsehole who swore at the pedestrian (calling her a 'stupid bitch') for daring to be in front of him when he wanted to cycle along the pavement. Then stopped 10 feet further on to complain to his mates about his flat front tyre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #479 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:13:53 pm »
Nominating this one for DOTY (year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CGP0MhcRvE

Thank goodness the guy on the hire bike managed to regain control.  The other bastard didn't even glance back.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

fuzzy

« Reply #480 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:21:29 pm »
That roadie gets the C Bomb dropped on him good and proper :demon:

« Reply #481 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:38:32 pm »
Were the others intending to chase the DOTY down?
Some good driving from the lorry driver there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #482 on: 06 July, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
Truly shocking.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

spindrift

« Reply #483 on: 06 July, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »

Some good driving from the lorry driver there.

Bit close for an overtake, but that stupid farty blue paint channels you.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #484 on: 27 July, 2016, 09:41:48 pm »
Aren't there a lot of knobs on bikes in Cambridge? Far too many to nominate.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #485 on: 16 August, 2016, 04:25:11 pm »

What sort of idiot rides a single speed with just a back brake?
And what special kind of DOTD then has their child sit on the top tube?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #486 on: 16 August, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »
The complete nob jockey this morning on the electric bike.

Tiny Cotswold village (painswick), I was waiting at the traffic lights to go through the narrow one way section.

He jumped onto the barely wide for a person pedestrian pavement, barely in control of the bike, blew through the lights, and then hopped of the pavement into the path of oncoming traffic squeezing pasts.

Thank god it's the summer holidays the place is normally packed with traffic.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #487 on: 17 August, 2016, 10:14:12 am »
Would be me yesterday evening  :-[

Down hill approach to a two lane roundabout with three arms and good site lines, I am entering at 6 o'clock and exiting at 1 o'clock. Vehicle (grey civic) enters from 9 o'clock indicating right suggesting exiting at my entrance. Vehicle (red fiesta) from 1 o'clock enters behind it also indicating right but no problem I have the timing to enter in front of him.

Unfortunately the civic didn't exit but lapped the roundabout, still no problem I have the timing to enter the gap between it and the fiesta.

Now comes the dotd moment. As I committed to entering the roundabout I suddenly realised that along with the fiesta a third vehicle (grey S2000) had entered the roundabout but stayed in lane 1 while turning right and not indicating. My timing is all wrong to avoid him and despite breaking hard I couldn't stop before the line. Fortunately the S2000 had seen me coming and stopped to let me recover.

I should have known better as there are a lot of people who go right in lane 1 on that roundabout.

« Reply #488 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:36:47 pm »

Guy who rounded the blind bend at speed on the wrong side of the road.   Luckily I'd slowed down and tucked right in as I usually do.  It's a single vehicle width passage and I am always prepared for a car to be rat running at speed.  This time it was a cyclist.  He did apologise so I left it at that.  If he'd met a car instead of me he wouldn't have been in a fit state to apologise.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #489 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:48:46 am »
Yesterday heading west on the Upper Richmond Road, bloke ahead of me almost crashed into another car crossing the junction at the foot of Putney Hill.

He was texting, not wearing a seatbelt and had a Yorkshire terrier on his lap.  The complete dick.

Blue Honda, reg: V648 DLL

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #490 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:51:36 am »
I expect the Yorkshire Terrier was driving.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #491 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:25:38 am »
Yesterday ...
Blue Honda, reg: V648 DLL

Oi, you can't bring that thing down here!

« Reply #492 on: 02 September, 2016, 10:34:46 pm »
Nearly got sideswiped by a grey Mercedes tailgating a red Seat both passed with only a couple of cm to spare.
To cheer myself up after work went to gwhizz cycles and test rode mountain bikes for a while.
Hope the next 195 commutes aren't as hairy...

« Reply #493 on: 03 September, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »
Coming back into town (soaked and rather k-nackered) was overtaken fast by a sporty looking guy on a very nice SOTA machine.  Next thing he gets stopped by a car giving way to oncoming traffic.  Rather than slow his impressive progress he hops onto the pavement only to be encountered by a newspaper boy coming t'other way and having to slammmm!!!! on the anchors anyway.   At least he hadn't rlj'd when I next saw him a mile further on.   

fuzzy

« Reply #494 on: 05 September, 2016, 08:26:41 am »
Would have been me on the homeward commute on Friday.

Descending a bit of single track (KoM hunting :-[ ) and realised I was progressing a hit too quick for an approaching section. Applied a little bit of brake which turned out to be too much. Rear wheel started to slide out to the left and I thought "Ooops, I'm gonna fall off the hill in a second" but I soon relaxed as I saw there was a tree between me and the impending fall. "Oh Fuck! Tree!"1 thinks I and released the rear brake, starting to straighten up. Too late, rear wheel impacts tree and stops me dead. I then hear the sound of something reasonably substantial rolling down the hill through the leaf litter. Thinking I had killed the bike, I examine it until I realised that the bike aint'nt dead but the tree is ;D

1 It is amazing what can go through your mind in a small moment of time when things are progressing rapidly in a painful direction.

« Reply #495 on: 07 September, 2016, 12:59:25 pm »
I recently spent a couple of weeks working in Amsterdam rather naively expecting it to be a paradise of polite cycling but there were definitely several keen nominees for DOTD out there.  Top of the list seems to be riding the wrong way down a bike lane and aggressively shouldering everyone out of the way rather than tucking in

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #496 on: 07 September, 2016, 06:40:22 pm »
Normal for Hamsterjam
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #497 on: 25 September, 2016, 02:07:15 pm »
I'll nominate the lady onna bike who rode straight out of a T junction in front of me, earlier. A 2 second wait would have given her a totally clear road, with no need to wobble all over the place, like she did!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #498 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:33:43 am »
It's that time of the year again. On my way to the pub at just after 7 last night. The sun hadn't been gone long enough for it to be anywhere close to dark, just a bit gloomy under the trees. AAARGHH!!! MY EYES! MY EYES!!1!! MTB-er comes the other way with a searingly-bright eyeball-DETH-inflicting head torch. No other lights front or rear, just this thing he'd stolen from Anti-Aircraft Command strapped to his head.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #499 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:36:14 am »
He'd probably been waiting to play with his new light for months.