Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 294734 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
New iPhone preorder day today.

My current iPhone 11 is two years old. I like the look of the iPhone 13.

No, I don’t NEED to replace my existing phone…

I can get a good trade in on the iPhone 11 though.

Decisions decisions.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

My iMac has developed a rather literal bug. At the bottom left corner of the screen, a little dipteran has wedged itself between the glass and the panel, like a tiny museum exhibit. I discovered this when I tried to wipe it off. The internet suggests it might desiccate and crumble away. The most annoying thing is that every time I notice it, I impulsively reach out to try and brush it away.

Decisions decisions.

I too am waiting for 1:00pm.  I am the same with regard to the 2 year old iPhone.  I have a small crack in the screen so I am seeing this as a method for screen repair where I am not without a phone!  Stupidly expensive though.

Beardy

• Shedist

Decisions decisions.

I too am waiting for 1:00pm.  I am the same with regard to the 2 year old iPhone.  I have a small crack in the screen so I am seeing this as a method for screen repair where I am not without a phone!  Stupidly expensive though.
they’re not very punctual.

Pah. Stupid app crashed on my set up preorder and by the time I got it all sorted again, the delivery date had moved out 2/3 weeks.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

I managed to get it done and should arrive next Friday!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/17/waste-from-one-bitcoin-transaction-like-binning-two-iphones

Perhaps anyone who claims to be green-minded should think about this before enthusing about bitcoin. I can't help wondering if it was devised by hardware sellers, perhaps cooperating with electricity generators.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
My iMac has developed a rather literal bug. At the bottom left corner of the screen, a little dipteran has wedged itself between the glass and the panel, like a tiny museum exhibit. I discovered this when I tried to wipe it off. The internet suggests it might desiccate and crumble away. The most annoying thing is that every time I notice it, I impulsively reach out to try and brush it away.

The trick with these is to spot them while they're still alive.  At which point you can drop whatever you're supposed to be doing, power down the display, and place it in a dark room with a light shining on it from one side.  The idea being to encourage the wee beastie to crawl its way out of (or at least to the edge of) the panel before it dies.

Beardy

• Shedist
I managed to get it done and should arrive next Friday!!
yeah, I managed to get one ordered for next Friday. It was only the grey one that was on 2/3 weeks delivery.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Currently I'm pondering computer hardware upgrades. Current rig is an AMD A8-6600K CPU, with 16gb ddr3 ram, and an nvidia gtx1600 gpu.

Looks like new mobo & ram needed to be able to get a decent new CPU! Although AMD or Intel this time around...   ???

Beardy

• Shedist
Currently I'm pondering computer hardware upgrades. Current rig is an AMD A8-6600K CPU, with 16gb ddr3 ram, and an nvidia gtx1600 gpu.

Looks like new mobo & ram needed to be able to get a decent new CPU! Although AMD or Intel this time around...   ???
Being an Apple household really reduces the complexity of upgrades. Doesn’t save any money though!

Afasoas

I'd ask if it's on an SSD in it, as that can make an older computer useful for a good while longer.

BrianI

I'd ask if it's on an SSD in it, as that can make an older computer useful for a good while longer.

Yes, I have an SSD which I keep my operating system on, with a 1tb spinning rust disc for data storage.

Main thing I'm looking to do is improve processing power for graphic processing / 3d rendering  etc.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
No, really, Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia, there isn’t actually any very good reason to restart Chrome post-update on this fondleslab in such a way that it forgets which tabs it had open, thereby forcing me to try to remember them.  From memory.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
No, really, Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia, there isn’t actually any very good reason to restart Chrome post-update on this fondleslab in such a way that it forgets which tabs it had open, thereby forcing me to try to remember them.  From memory.
Perhaps you need to upgrade your memory?

ian

Can't you go to history > open recently closed tabs...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Tried that ^^^^ first but it seemed determined to steer me towards tabs that recently closed by dint of closing down Chrome on the PC upstairs.  Which was Not Helpful.

My 2012 iMac running 10.6.8 will no longer run the app which allowed me to listen to BBC 6 Music. :(
Which is a shame as the mac in question is my music mac (it runs a version of iTunes that is old enough to still be pleasant to use) and is connected to a Cambridge amp and a pair of JPW Gold Monitor speakers, for the purpose of kwality sounds.
However, the internal speakers on my 2015 iMac are of sufficient quality as to make them more than adequate for the purpose of listening to wireless broadcasts. The later machine also boasts a feature whereby there is no longer  a need for me to sign in to the Beeb in order to listen. Which is nice.

Beardy

• Shedist
I must be getting old! I’ve only just got around to turning on my new iPhone that arrived on Friday. I was sailing over the weekend and away from home so didn’t want to take the new phone with me, and yesterday I was still wiped out.

The swap over is very slick now, with the new phone just needing to be near another iDevice to verify ownership. I’m going to have to get a case because it’s very slippy in it’s naked form, and then I need to decide whether or not I want to faff with a screen protector. And decide if I want to have a day out in Norwich or Cambridge to get it fitted.

Clare

• Is in NZ
How on earth did I manage to get a 429 error by clicking the Google Drive icon?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
429's rate-limiting, isn't it?

Server's probably a bit busy, or something.

Clare

• Is in NZ
I'm probably thinking the wrong way round. I couldn't work out why Google would limit the number of requests to itself but I guess it is the server rather than the end supplier that is the issue here?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
We don't seem to have a "Div" thread for computer related stuff so...

In my day job I flit between C#, VB.Net (shudder), T-SQL and Javascript (whimper) which is fairly normally for lot of programmers, but means that there are times when the beams get crossed.  Today, in a VB class,I wrote the followng, "If condition & also..."   Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

BrianI

I'm now pondering this little lot...  Hmmm. 
1 x Gigabyte B550M S2H (AMD AM4) B550 Micro-ATX Motherboard= £79.99
1 x AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £259.99
1 x be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler - 120mm= £39.95
1 x Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey= £124.99
Total: £515.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
This is actually A Thing:

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
We're I clearer of thought I would, yesterday afternoon, have done this:
  • Disconnected external USB spinny-rust drive from switched-on-for-the-first-time-in-a-year laptop
  • Connected same to one or other of the Big-Babbages
  • Updated its contents, wot are mostly music files
rather than doing it from a NAS drive over the laptop's feeble 100 megathings/s network wossname :facepalm:  Still, watching the little numbers counting up to 100% is curiously satisfying.