Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300228 times)

Cat5 or fibre cable ?
CAT5e

Wrong cable with old hardware at one end, the new switch in middle doesn't care about crossover and translated for the old hardware end?

Probably something like that... The router is a new bipak which is presumably just a standard switch on the ethernet end. Cable is straight-through, buried in the floorboards so I couldn't easily try a different cable. The computer end is fairly old, on-board NIC, linux. I'm still not sure why the switch internal to the bipak would be any different to a standalone switch, oh and using the uplink port on the switch didn't work either.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Need to borrow a cable tester? I have 2, so I could stick one in the post to you to return when you have finished.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Cable marginal for gigabit, but switch only does 100M?

Else some auto-negotiation fail.  Possibly because the cable's mis-wired?

Contemplating the lesser of two weevils.

It seems like a lark to join up with Uber. You can either sign up with them and hand them your credit card details - something I really try not to proliferate across t'Internets. Or, join Google+  something that I have avoided thus far. Oh yeah, there's a Facebook option too, but as that has so much wrong information about me, I don't even consider that.

Think it has to be Uber direct - the ramifications are fewer. but then, if I do G+ that will stop the youtube age restriction, that appears to be intimately linked to G+.

Third option, join G+, join, leave G+.

Afasoas

Get a pre-paid credit card and join up directly with that?

The joke is on me, I've joined G+  (with 2 of my 3 G accounts - confused? I soon will be) and the Uber sign up doesn't work.

The G+ interface appears to have improved substantially since the last time I tried,  I might well stick with it, I don't have to sell any more bits of my soul to join.

Meh. Looks like single use credit cards have died a death. Shame.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mum insists she sent me an email yesterday.
I never received one from her, though had some from other sources.
What's happening?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Probably sitting in her draft folder, I have done that :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
What's happening?

Very hard to know, if there isn't something detectably broken about your email system.  The absence of a bounce would suggest that she either never sent it, it went *somewhere*, or it's still in transit.

We used to have this problem with a Hotmail-using luddite friend of barakta's.  For some unknown reason Hotmail took objection to sending email to barakta's domain, which was of course *our* fault.  As the problem was at Hotmail's end, there was nothing we could do to fix it.   :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
What's happening?

Very hard to know, if there isn't something detectably broken about your email system.  The absence of a bounce would suggest that she either never sent it, it went *somewhere*, or it's still in transit.

We used to have this problem with a Hotmail-using luddite friend of barakta's.  For some unknown reason Hotmail took objection to sending email to barakta's domain, which was of course *our* fault.  As the problem was at Hotmail's end, there was nothing we could do to fix it.   :facepalm:

Mum definitely received no bounce and says the mail was sent.

I also failed to receive an iMessage from David a few days ago. I don't know if this was routed via SMS or data but it does seem messaging is rather hit and miss!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Trying to clear a malware infestation, that is stopping from malwarebytes anti malware from running.  Been at it all night, so far.  Running through the chameleons don't seem to work, currently at number 10.  Tried rkill and that didn't work either.  So adwcleaner next...

Am downloading hirens as we speak, am amazed that I'm in a different country and I'm ITing

Trying to clear a malware infestation, that is stopping from malwarebytes anti malware from running.  Been at it all night, so far.  Running through the chameleons don't seem to work, currently at number 10.  Tried rkill and that didn't work either.  So adwcleaner next...

Am downloading hirens as we speak, am amazed that I'm in a different country and I'm ITing

Just boot into safe mode with network to download newest updates, then reboot (without network) and run a scan - that should sort it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Doesn't seem to want to go into safe mode.  Have removed the hd and stuck in an external enclosure. Runing Malwarebytes from my PC.

20 euro for an enclosure seems a bit steep in my opinion but am stuck in Paris.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Worth a listen, I reckon: Codes That Changed The World.  In this 5 part series Aleks Krotoski tells the story of the languages we've used to talk to the machines. Starts 13:45 Easter Monday, BBC R4; goes on all week.  FORTRAN tomorrow and remember, kids, if it can't be done in FORTRAN it's probably not worth doing at all ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
No fair. We've had fibre in the cabinet my studio for ages. It is 4metres from our front door. But stupid utility companies have used up the space allocation going in/out of the cabinet so we can't have fibre so will have to continue with multiple ADSL connections over ancient copperlines.

Half tempted to get out the DeWalt, hole saws and punchtool and do it myself. Grrrrr.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

If one orders a standard fruitThing on the fruitWebSite, it is delivered the next day. If you want it configured slightly non-standard, that takes 1-3 days before dispatch.

Fair enough.

But why, once they've configured it, do they send it by a service that takes another TEN FUCKING DAYS to deliver??? Not only that, but as the biggest tech firm in the solar system, why can't they use a courier that actually has a working tracking website?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
News for OCZ SSD users who don't subscribe to the newsletter:

OCZ Toolbox has been replaced with SSD Guru.  OCZ previously have said that you don't need to twiddle anything to use an SSD perfectly well, but now they seem to be admitting that extra over provisioning and changing some OS settings are worthwhile.

Disabling Pre/SuperFetch is included.  I don't fancy that, personally.  RAM is still faster than SSD.

http://ocz.com/ssd-guru - works with more models than stated (although it's not working at all yet on one of my PCs).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Thank you, worth it just to see I haz 99% life left  ;D

lord knows what the SSD has

Worth a listen, I reckon: Codes That Changed The World.  In this 5 part series Aleks Krotoski tells the story of the languages we've used to talk to the machines. Starts 13:45 Easter Monday, BBC R4; goes on all week.  FORTRAN tomorrow and remember, kids, if it can't be done in FORTRAN it's probably not worth doing at all ;)

Thanks for that link!

But... at the end of the podcast: "To find out more about the BBC's Make It Digital Season, go to the Radio 4 website".
So I do.
Nothing.
Use the search.
Nothing.
Google.
Ah! There it is!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
SSD Guru has also revealed to me that my Dell laptops don't have ACHI mode (Inspiron 1501 and Latitude D620).  I had been assuming ACHI was not in the BIOS settings because it was on by default, but, no, it's not even possible to have it at all.  (I have the latest BIOS updates).  :(

Does this mean my SSDs are running slower than they would otherwise?  Does it mean Trimming doesn't happen automatically?  (I can Trim manually via SSD Guru or OCZ Toolbox).

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Iceweasel is rubbish and is just getting more and more unusable.. Now it's decided to completely fuck up a site I read on a daily basis.  The "Flash is out of date do you want to load it" is tedious cos I click "allow and remember" every single sodding time and it forgets, every single sodding time.

Swapping Chromium to main browser and Iceweasel to secondary browser. Kim did something clever to my Chromium so it has working Flash and it displays the b0rky site properly.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
OK, riddle me this:

How did my NAS end up looking like this:

i.e. with this picture:

showing for most folders.  And how can I make it go away ???

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
What software have you installed recently?

Anyway, I'm reporting you to the RSPCA.  Shouldn't keep badgers in little folders like that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
It's stopped doing it.  I am now more confuzzled than ever ???