Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300700 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
AFAIK iTunes only stores play count in the library file, not as an attribute of the mp3.  Robocopy has properly copied files on which I've jibbled artwork, title, etc. etc. but it's also copied ones I haven't edited, just played.  And I'm certain it didn't do that last week ???

Edit: And it gets treated as "newer" as soon as it starts playing, not when the play count is updated at the end of the track.  Double ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Is it updating the rights information on the file?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I've just bodged a posh 80mm fan in place of the grindy 40mm effort that was cooling vibrating the CPU on the VIA somethingorother board that we use as a router.  Also cleaned all the fluff out of the case, and replaced the dust intake fan with a quieter model.

The change in noise may take some getting used to...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Aha!

I jibbled a load of disc and track numbers with MP3tag a week or two ago but iTunes only takes note of the changes when it plays a track; this somehow gets fed back to Windows causing the created date & time to change to when it starts playing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The two Pis that I used to replace 1) a firewall and 2) a fileserver, had their first real world test, yesterday.

National Grid, or whoever, decided that they would like to remove the power to our home at $SILLY_OCLOCK, yesterday.

Both boxes shutdown, once power had been removed.  Once power was restored they came back up and carried on working as if nothing had happened! YAY!

Word to the wise, if you decided to use a Pi for something that you don't want to have to log into each time it reboots, to get things working again, bear in mind they have no realtime clock.  There is a way around it, use fake-hwclock, which writes the time to a temp file, and reads it on boot up.  This stops services like Squid crapping out when they see the clock suddenly jump forward 40+ years!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Afasoas

I'd imagine building a UPS for the Pis would be a fairly trivial undertaking for the average DIYer!! :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Word to the wise, if you decided to use a Pi for something that you don't want to have to log into each time it reboots, to get things working again, bear in mind they have no realtime clock.  There is a way around it, use fake-hwclock, which writes the time to a temp file, and reads it on boot up.  This stops services like Squid crapping out when they see the clock suddenly jump forward 40+ years!

I've never had this cause anything other than a couple of angry messages in syslog about timestamps being in the future, but I'm not running squid on them.  ntpd sorts things out shortly after the network comes up, so conceivably a bit of boot-sequence-fu could be used to make things wait until the clock was valid.  Fake-hwclock is still a useful bodge.

You can add a proper realtime clock to a Pi relatively easily, but I don't really see the point when there's a network available.  Indeed, I was going to add one to the Pi that functions as our alarm clock (so it wouldn't fail to wake us up if it rebooted and couldn't find the network for some reason), but decided I might as well use a GPS module instead and have it be a stratum 1 NTP server, which is much more geeky.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Performing SSD transplant into iPod.  Little plastic doofer which conjoins power cable to motherboard decides to part company with pins on motherboard, which are very very tiny.  Little plastic doofer does not want to go back on pins.  Harsh words are said >:(

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Bloody phone died this morning, in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Europe.
Hard crash then failed to reboot.
Cyanogenmod wheel just spins, going nowhere.

Can boot into recovery, and Cyanogenmod image is still on the sd card.
Result.
Spent taxi ride to customer office re-flashing it.
Then leeches the customers Internet to let it sync all my apps back, whilst I ran the training session.

Recovered enough to allow online checking for flights home.

At least it works in the cold, tho   :P

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I have a Microsoft Surface tablet. I hadn't used it for about a month, and when I turned it on 'bitlocker' had been applied. I obtained the recovery key, but the machine is now asking me to 'activate windows' with my product key and has its date set to February, when I last used it. Help!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Afasoas

Have you tried just activating it? Does it actually ask you for a product key?

From a command shell you can just try running "slmgr /ato". Is the tablet still in warranty?

Feanor

So I've just had to buy a new phone.

The old one could not keep it's firmware image un-corrupted for more than a few hours.
I got mightily bored of booting to recovery and re-flashing it twice a day.

I haz a Samsung Galaxy S7 ( non-curvy-edge model ).
I'll leave it on the stock firmware for now.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Yahoo! please! stop! dicking! around! and! send! that! e-mail!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Have you tried just activating it? Does it actually ask you for a product key?

From a command shell you can just try running "slmgr /ato". Is the tablet still in warranty?
Asks for product key. Out of warranty. I have absolutely no idea what the rest means.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Updated the OS on the iPad yesterday evening.  Done it several times in the past, no problem. This time it requested a sign-in to the Apple ID associated with it.  Could I remember it???!!!  Well  eventually my wife guessed it was an old email addy of hers... but then I couldn't remember the password I'd used  ::-). Luckily eventually I got locked out and could reset it. (I'd forgotten about iforgot @ Apple)  Chose to answer security questions rather than get email. First pet - check (at second try). DOB - fail. I'd used mine, not hers  :facepalm:  Then set new password that met the criteria - but "that's too easy to guess"  :-\. That's an hour of my life I won't get back, but I'll be ok setting up her new iPhone  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Don't – don't – install iOS 9.3 on your iPad 2: Upgrade bricks slabs

As I'm typing this on said iPad that obvs didn't happen to ours but then it's only a couple of years old and is an "Air".
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

The internal network at bigclient was brought to its knees earlier this week as everyone who'd registered with the "bring your own device" option arrived at work and iOS upgrade commenced...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
"iOS 9.2.1 Your software is up to date" quoth my fondleslab.  Looks like the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia has pulled this one for now.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bugger.  My Nexus tablet has suddenly decided to to take photos sideways.  Wtf?
OK, I can rotate them and re save, but what a pain.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Afasoas

Seems to work for most towns in Blighty e.g.

Code: [Select]
curl http://wttr.in/Blackpool

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
kim@penelope:~$ curl http://wttr.in/Birmingham
Weather for City: Birmingham, United Kingdom

\  /       Partly Cloudy
  _ /"".-.     6 – 9 °C       
    \_(   ).   ↑ 20 km/h     
    /(___(__)  10 km         
               0.0 mm         
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Fri 01. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│           Morning            │             Noon      └──────┬──────┘    Evening            │            Night             │
├──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┤
│               Cloudy         │    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain ne…│
│      .--.     6 °C           │  _ /"".-.     8 – 10 °C      │  _ /"".-.     6 – 10 °C      │   ,\_(   ).   1 – 8 °C       │
│   .-(    ).   ↑ 20 – 27 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 30 – 33 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 33 – 35 km/h │    /(___(__)  ↑ 27 – 39 km/h │
│  (___.__)__)  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │
│               0.0 mm | 0%    │               0.0 mm | 0%    │               0.0 mm | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.1 mm | 72%   │
└──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┘
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Sat 02. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│           Morning            │             Noon      └──────┬──────┘    Evening            │            Night             │
├──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┼──────────────────────────────┤
│     \   /     Sunny          │     \   /     Sunny          │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain ne…│      .-.      Light rain     │
│      .-.      6 – 7 °C       │      .-.      11 °C          │   ,\_(   ).   8 – 10 °C      │     (   ).    8 – 9 °C       │
│   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 20 km/h      │   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 22 km/h      │    /(___(__)  ← 14 – 23 km/h │    (___(__)   ↙ 8 – 13 km/h  │
│      `-’      10 km          │      `-’      10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   9 km           │
│     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.1 mm | 35%   │    ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘    1.3 mm | 82%   │
└──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────┘
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Sun 03. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│               Overcast       │  _`/"".-.     Light rain sho…│    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │     \   /     Clear          │
│      .--.     6 – 9 °C       │   ,\_(   ).   10 – 12 °C     │  _ /"".-.     9 – 11 °C      │      .-.      6 – 8 °C       │
│   .-(    ).   ↑ 24 – 30 km/h │    /(___(__)  ↑ 26 – 31 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 13 – 22 km/h │   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 12 – 26 km/h │
│  (___.__)__)  10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │      `-’      10 km          │
│               0.1 mm | 13%   │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.3 mm | 18%   │               0.0 mm | 18%   │     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │

Check new Feature: wttr.in/Moon or wttr.in/Moon@2016-Mar-23 to see the phase of the Moon
Follow @igor_chubin for wttr.in updates
kim@penelope:~$

Cute  :thumbsup:

Phil W

kim@penelope:~$ curl http://wttr.in/Birmingham
Weather for City: Birmingham, United Kingdom

\  /       Partly Cloudy
  _ /"".-.     6 – 9 °C       
    \_(   ).   ↑ 20 km/h     
    /(___(__)  10 km         
               0.0 mm         
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Fri 01. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│               Cloudy         │    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain ne…│
│      .--.     6 °C           │  _ /"".-.     8 – 10 °C      │  _ /"".-.     6 – 10 °C      │   ,\_(   ).   1 – 8 °C       │
│   .-(    ).   ↑ 20 – 27 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 30 – 33 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 33 – 35 km/h │    /(___(__)  ↑ 27 – 39 km/h │
│  (___.__)__)  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │
│               0.0 mm | 0%    │               0.0 mm | 0%    │               0.0 mm | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.1 mm | 72%   │
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Sat 02. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│     \   /     Sunny          │     \   /     Sunny          │  _`/"".-.     Patchy rain ne…│      .-.      Light rain     │
│      .-.      6 – 7 °C       │      .-.      11 °C          │   ,\_(   ).   8 – 10 °C      │     (   ).    8 – 9 °C       │
│   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 20 km/h      │   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 22 km/h      │    /(___(__)  ← 14 – 23 km/h │    (___(__)   ↙ 8 – 13 km/h  │
│      `-’      10 km          │      `-’      10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   9 km           │
│     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.1 mm | 35%   │    ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘    1.3 mm | 82%   │
                                                       ┌─────────────┐                                                       
┌──────────────────────────────┬───────────────────────┤ Sun 03. Apr ├───────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────┐
│               Overcast       │  _`/"".-.     Light rain sho…│    \  /       Partly Cloudy  │     \   /     Clear          │
│      .--.     6 – 9 °C       │   ,\_(   ).   10 – 12 °C     │  _ /"".-.     9 – 11 °C      │      .-.      6 – 8 °C       │
│   .-(    ).   ↑ 24 – 30 km/h │    /(___(__)  ↑ 26 – 31 km/h │    \_(   ).   ↑ 13 – 22 km/h │   ― (   ) ―   ↑ 12 – 26 km/h │
│  (___.__)__)  10 km          │      ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘  10 km          │    /(___(__)  10 km          │      `-’      10 km          │
│               0.1 mm | 13%   │     ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘   0.3 mm | 18%   │               0.0 mm | 18%   │     /   \     0.0 mm | 0%    │

Check new Feature: wttr.in/Moon or wttr.in/Moon@2016-Mar-23 to see the phase of the Moon
Follow @igor_chubin for wttr.in updates
kim@penelope:~$

Cute  :thumbsup:

Yes reminds me of 1970s Ceefax. Very retro.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I likey. Thanks  :thumbsup: