Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299571 times)

Maybe with the upgrade, your music player is no longer associated with playing music CDs or something like that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Maybe with the upgrade, your music player is no longer associated with playing music CDs or something like that.

Yes I suspect the upgrade is the villain of the piece, I'll just have to see if I can work it out, I don't use discs very often so its just annoying, apart from that everything is working well.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
hmm someone is standing on the line, downloads and streaming is dead slow and jerky but speedtest says I got ok speed ... 16up/1.2down on really good days we get 18/1.3, which is ok for our use.

As a test I tried to get ubuntu.iso from ubuntu.com (1.4Gb), just to clock up 1Mb took five minutes. Play anything on iPlayer just stops/starts. Same goes when I try to download ubuntu via torrents, dead slow. Our Now.tv struggles with connecting too, keep saying not enough bandwidth. Though streaming the local radio works just fine and hitting sites like guardian and youtube everything loads and play just fine.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That sounds like the problem lies with your ISP or beyond, rather than your line.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Just pasted 1 miiiillliiiooon spam post on my blog \o/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Can the Learned Members of Thee Panel tell me whether there's any simple way of distinguishing between Cat5 and Cat 6 network cables just by looking at them?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
It's usually printed on the cable, IIRC. (Source: handful of cables I just grabbed out of the box by my desk)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Should have thought of that :facepalm:  Will have a squint.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Cat6 will be less flexible than cat5
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
And are often (but not exclusively) an attractive shade of purple.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Cat6 will be less flexible than cat5

Except that the 5a that goes on holibobs with me seems thicker and somewhat less bendy than the 6 which runs up the stairs ???

And are often (but not exclusively) an attractive shade of purple.

The only ones on which I can see the writing without any unpleasant bending are
  • Cat 6 and Cat 5a, and
  • yellow and orange respectively
There are also black, grey, green and red ones around the place but AFAICT no purple ones, though it's pretty dark back there in the medusa's lair behind the distascope.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Latest version of Firefox (47.0) doesn't reload the page when you go back/forward, for https sites. It just shows a cached copy.
Which kind of affects the way I read this forum - yes, its quicker to go back/forward, but it doesn't show which threads have new posts, or which have been already read (unless I click refresh).

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Android Studio. If this was a tool I was relying on for work this'd be in the rant threat.  Thankfully I'm not so I'll just whinge about it here; if that's alright with you?

What a waste flamin' time that was.  Installation went OK, but can I get an emulator to start up and run? Damned if I can.  Not only that but the IDE is_hideously_ slow.  Seventeen (yes 17!) minutes to build "hello world" and that's before it even tries to install the apk on the (non-functioning) emulator.

I uninstalled it an hour or so ago. No point in keeping 15 gigs of electronic dross.  I'll just have to plod on with Eclipse/ADT which means I can't write for anything later than Kitkat (what a bloody _silly_ naming convention) which is a pain, but a build takes mebbe a few tens of seconds to a minute and the emulator actually runs even if takes a couple or three minutes to start.

Now I know this machine is old (Win7 pro x32 4GB) and uses a Celeron processor not Intel so the Intel HAXM emulator is a non-starter (hah!), but if Google could get their armeabi emulation to run reasonably well (slowly, but hey it's an emulator) four years ago how in the name of the wee man can they not get it working now?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Just had to share. Someone, somewhere put in this "formula" - and yes, there are no gaps. only missing "SUM" at the beginning.
Code: [Select]
=(I18+I19+I20+I21+I22+I23+I24+I25+I26+I27+I28+I29+I30+I31+I32+I33+I34+I35+I36+I37+I38+I39+I40+I41+I42+I43+I44+I45+I46+I47+I48+I49+I50+I51+I52+I53+I54+I55+I56+I57+I58+I59+I60+I61+I62+I63+I64+I65+I66+I67+I68+I69+I70+I71+I72+I73+I74+I75+I76+I77+I78+I79+I80+I81+I82+I83+I84+I85+I86+I87+I88+I89+I90+I91+I92+I93+I94+I95+I96+I97+I98+I99+I100+I101+I102+I103+I104)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Latest version of Firefox (47.0) doesn't reload the page when you go back/forward, for https sites. It just shows a cached copy.
Which kind of affects the way I read this forum - yes, its quicker to go back/forward, but it doesn't show which threads have new posts, or which have been already read (unless I click refresh).

And with pinned tabs it reloads last night's content.

Other than that I don't mind this effect too much, because with back/forward the thread you just came out of serves as a place-mark on the page.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
But they have returned the bookmark functionality to it's proper state, in 47. Whoever thought that sticking all bookmarks in one folder, for you to have to expend energy later to categorise, needs shooting.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
My understanding of the release notes is that Firefox now responds to cache instructions contained in meta tags. This is the 'correct' way to work but is inconsistent will other browsers.
I would have expected at least to be able to opt in to this behaviour.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Keyboard's getting a bit sticky. No harm to it, it's an electro-mechanical about 15 years old with profiled keys, nicest to use I ever had.  Casing has hollows worn in it where my thumbs rest.  Doubt if I'll find one as good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Put it through the dishwasher, and dry thoroughly.  If it survives, it'll be good as new.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Don't think I'm prepared to face that "if" just yet.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia seem so keen to push the Home Sharing feature of iTunes that they neglected to tell any one that if your iTunes library and media files live on a network disk then you can point any Babbage-Engine on your network at the same library.  You probably can't have two Babbage-Engines doing it at the same time, but this is not something I actually need to do.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
The booking and queueing system for blood tests at our local hospital runs on Ubuntu. I know because there was a nag window asking for software updates  ::-).
Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Switched on Slow Dempsey the laptop for the first time in three months.  I can practically hear the cogs grinding as he attempts to back himself up and perform a quarter's worth of updates simultaneously.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
BT informs me of a 'Free Upgrade'.
Wifi Hotspots are a Thing. I look at their map of Hot Spots.
The nearest is Edgware Job Centre, which closed about 5 years ago.
I'd show you Google Street View evidence of how long it's been closed.
But Google Maps seem down...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Fill in the first word that comes to mind: Fit. Bit. [****].