Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 300317 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
All in all, Pascal seems to offer the best alternative.

Whatever became of C++ in all that?

Just realized that I haven't written a line of C++ since 2007. Jeez.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

All in all, Pascal seems to offer the best alternative.

Whatever became of C++ in all that?

Just realized that I haven't written a line of C++ since 2007. Jeez.

++1

(or earlier)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
The last few months I've been doing rather more JavaScript work than is good for my sanity and today I had to start looking at React because we're going to be using that as well. This evening this link turned up in a code-project e-mail.

How it feels to learn JavaScript in 2016

The best summary of the howling insanity that is JavaScript development I have seen. Ever.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

JavaScript is great, but it does leave rather a lot of freedom to be too clever by half tie yourself in knots. At least once you've learnt that lot you can put your rates up: have you seen what silicon roundabout jobs are offering these days?

I went to a demo this evening, one of which was an OCaml IDE that compiled into JavaScript and ran on each keystroke. Clever but clearly barking. I didn't get a coherent answer to the simple question "WHY?"
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Phil W

Sick and tired of the Google Adwords explosion I finally got round to checking out BT parental controls. Turns out you can block domains of your choice. Bye bye Google Adwords, tonight has been bliss .

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Kodi is really good forgot how good.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
P-hacking anyone? https://www.r-bloggers.com/introducing-the-p-hacker-app-train-your-expert-p-hacking-skills/

It is scary how easy it is to torture data into confession.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Afasoas

Visual Studio cheat sheet (DuckDuckGo) is finished, subject to comments ton Pull Request, which I will raise tomorrow.

Then I can carry on wrestling with Jenkins.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.

I wish Jenkins would bugger off and get me a G+T instead of spamming me that my Unit Tests had failed.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch

I wish Jenkins would bugger off and get me a G+T instead of spamming me that my Unit Tests had failed.

The pedant would point out that the unit tests have worked and that it is the code that has failed the Unit Tests. It is when the Unit Tests do not identify issues  that they should that one can say they have failed.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.

The pedant would point out that the unit tests have worked and that it is the code that has failed the Unit Tests. It is when the Unit Tests do not identify issues  that they should that one can say they have failed.

It's actually a failure in "Things Syncing properly" in Kiln.
SEP.
It involves Kiln, a build server, repos, pushing, pulling, Master, local copies, and a GUI that looks like a PCB with tracks for a 64-bit data bus.
The code itself is fine :-)

simonp

When you rewrite someone's machine code in C and it's faster and smaller.

Hmm, there seem to be increasingly frequent times when I cannot access Microsoft Outlook (as my old Hotmail account is now entited).   :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Chris S

Well. There's a lot less RED on my server dashboard this evening after I realised Windows Server Backup had given up removing ageing incremental backups from the backup drives, two and a half years ago.

This is what happens when you work at home, and have to (not) do your own sysadmin  :facepalm:.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Microsoft Surface tablet. Currently stuck on screen message reading "removing failed updates" and when I say stuck I mean weeks. Power off, power on, let battery drain, whatever. Thoughts?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

I'm not a Surface person - which model Surface on which OS?

Kicking it back to a restore point is what I would do on a PC, and a Surface is really just a PC. Not sure how you force one into recovery/safe boot mode.

Hmm - seems you need two things; a keyboard and a USB boot stick
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode?os=windows-8.1-update-1&=undefined
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I have the typing cover, will look for the USB boot stick doobry.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Ah did it have a super update?

Afasoas

Dockerised Jenkins instance is now publishing my website to an internal Nginx server. Remarkably simple to set-up. Now I need to work out how I have foo-barred Nginx/PHP*.

*I know, the cool kids don't use PHP anymore!

Isn't NGINX proprietary and ££Lots?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Afasoas

Afasoas

40 blocked DNS requests (thank you OpenDNS) looking up DynDNS nameservers.
Looks like something on my home network tried to participate in yesterdays dDOS on DynDNS name servers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack

Chris S

Looks like something on my home network tried to participate in yesterdays dDOS on DynDNS name servers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack

Probably your toaster...  ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37738823