Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 299060 times)

No google doodle for today - it's still showing yesterday's (Oskar Fischinger's 117th birthday, on 22nd)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
RJ45 cables - how do you tell the males from the females?  I know they must be males & females despite looking the same to me as that's the only reasonable explanation for the number of the damn things I have now.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

More a "what I have learned", that the Google Now assistant (Siri-like thingy) can actually be useful, eg is able to send SMS/WhatsApp chats hands free.

"OK Google, Send a WhatsApp to Mrs Ham"
...."You want to chat with Mrs Ham, OK, What's the message?"
"I'm on my way back, should be about 2 hours, etc etc"
...."Do you want to send or cancel?"
"OK google, read my message back to me" (hint: This is one step too far)
...."Duh?" (or the equivalent)
Cue a very one sided conversation at this point
"OK Google you stupid bitch"
...."Here's a matching video"

:facepalm: ;D

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Oh, what a lovely find.

A great remake of The Sentinel Returns!

https://nexus23.org/warfare2/zenith-sentinel-remake/

Runs on my ubuntu box on wine!   :D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Google cast how does it work? My phone keeps showing the option to cast whatever I'm doing on YouTube and chrome. But I don't own a Google Cast item, so it must be a neighbour.

Remember this? I was playing around with the windows laptop today and went into the network settings. And lo and behold in there win10 could see a Samsung TV. We don't own a TV or anything that is Samsung, ok I do have a hard-disks that is not plugged in that is Samsung but that is it. But this still don't explains how they talk together. As there is now't to see on the router and on the android bluetooth.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

It's one of the reasons I always move windows/any wireless kit off the default 192.168.x.x network onto 10.x.x.x network, avoiding overlap. (Note: this was non-trivial with my latest Virgin hub Mk III)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Following my grumble about (some) Android apps not supporting landscape mode - I've found an app that can force it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate

It seems to work with everything, albeit via rather confusing settings for the auto modes.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Following my grumble about (some) Android apps not supporting landscape mode - I've found an app that can force it:

It seems to work with everything, albeit via rather confusing settings for the auto modes.

Ooh, I'll have a play with that later.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Discovered how to create multi-line text files from the Windows command line.  You may call me slow on the uptake if you wish, but this made the creation of several hundred small files an awful lot easier.  I imagine the same effect could be had from a database, but first I'd have to remember how to drive one after twenty-mumble years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Ooh, I'll have a play with that later.

I had a play with that later.  It solved all my rotation problems.  My neck is eternally grateful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Has Bing maps stopped doing OS maps?  That was the only reason to use Bing...

Has Bing maps stopped doing OS maps?  That was the only reason to use Bing...

Still doing them for me.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I too couldn't see the OS option when trying on my tablet a moment a go, but it's appeared after some random tapping and refreshing.

I've just coughed up for some OS maps through Viewranger, coincidentally - and immediately noticed some info that's out of date by fifty years (a certain church marked as having a tower).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I too couldn't see the OS option when trying on my tablet a moment a go, but it's appeared after some random tapping and refreshing.

I seem to have brought it back by clearing all the bing-related cookies.  Odd.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Peli's mum couldn't for some reason open a file she received. It showed up in her Google Drive, but it just didn't want open. So I asked her to share it with me, just to check, and I could open it. So I printed it out on her computer via cloud printing onto her printer. This just makes me laugh :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We've got cloud raining onto our bloody everywhere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Drat.  I replaced a D-link 100 Mbit switch with a Netgear gigabit ditto.  Before the switch, streamed video was pretty smooth, but now I get a more-or-less regular lag-&-catch-up effect.  Looks like the D-Link was prioritizing according to need and the NG is giving the same priority to everyone.

What you get for buying cheap kit, I suppose.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Is it actually running at gigabit speed?  Sometimes dodgy cabling that was fine for 100M makes things fall back to 100M half-duplex or something daft.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Quite chuffed. Managed firstly to pull my fingers out. Then set up a Raspberry with WiFi and a usb disk, that I have been talking about for yonks. Gave it to mum of Peli to take home and plug in.

And lo and behold it booted up, logged onto WiFi and opened a VPN as I had set up. So now I got a remote backup I can rsync to.

Only limited by my upload as mother of Peli got a nice fast line to the world.

Next step is to automate it all.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Wording captions on Google Maps seem to appear upside-down and/or back-to-front from time to time.
Sometimes they disappear completely from sections of a map.

Most disorientating!

(I know I can refresh but sometimes I lack patience!)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Went to one of our web transformation meetings today. Uni is about to rebuild the web from the ground up with lots of stakeholder investment. Good news: accessibility is an absolute given - the frameworks and implementations will be as good as can be by design, with considerable input from our accessibility experts.

Lots of write once, reuse everywhere ideas floating about.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
So Firefox allegedly got faster. We'll see.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Two of David's tech problems today seem to have the same 'clean the contacts' solution.
1) Canon EOS camera 'Error 01'
2) Random LOUD notes on Clavinova CLP-585
Back to basics...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You know how your NAS is supposed to talk to an ntp server to make sure it knows what date and time it is?  And you know when you shut down said NAS, because you're away for a month, and you switch it back on, and the said NAS, whether by accident or design, forgets it's supposed to talk to the ntp server and assumes the date and time are the same as they were when you turned it off?

Yes, exactly like that.  On two devices :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime