Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404574 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #400 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:12:05 am »
Shutting down Windows 8? Oh, how we laughed.
It is simpler than it looks.

Afasoas

« Reply #401 on: 23 December, 2014, 10:53:35 am »
With Windows 8.1 I find the keyboard is my best friend. To start an app press the Windows key, type the first few letters of the application name, press enter. Application starts. It also works exactly the same way in Windows 7.

I tend to remove all the silly apps from the metro start window and then add my most used short cuts to real applications.

The simplest method of shutting down is pressing the power button. Or Alt+F4 as Wombat says. I must admit 8.1 is slightly better with the power button on the Metro Start window.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #402 on: 23 December, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
Regarding using Excel as a database...

At work, I sometimes have to write VBS scripts which run from the Task Scheduler to synchronise stuffs from one set of databases to another.
In VBS, I do this using something called ADO.
This abstracts all the various database types into a single 'Connection' object, which you deal with.
There are various drivers ( 'Providers' ) which ADO can call depending on what kind of data source you are connecting to.
So there are providers for SQL server, Oracle, Access .MDB files etc etc.
You simply specify which provider to use in the 'Connection String' you pass to the Connection object.

Interestingly, I see that the Access .mdb provider (Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0) can actually open much more than .mbd databases.
It can open .xls and other files too ( though I've never tried it myself ).

This would give you the ability to interact with the .xls using a SQL-like syntax.
You could, for example, write scripts to pull out various things from the spreadsheet, and put them into proper tables in a real DB.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #403 on: 23 December, 2014, 11:49:21 am »
That will be interesting when (if) I end up rewriting our student management system. I can access and process the data with R from Excel (that has now got the compsci purists not knowing which way to spin in their graves).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #404 on: 23 December, 2014, 02:03:30 pm »
Microsoft, I'm not going to set up a microsoft account just so that I can log into this machine!

You don't need to have a Microsoft account, whatever they tell you.  Mine has no startup password, and there is no MS account on it.  I too got duped into thinknig you had to, but you don't, but they make it as un-obvious as possible to find this.  On the (very) rare occasions I use Skype, its a separate "desktop" version, not the bloody "app" and I share Mr L's desire to get rid of all the useless apps and use "proper program(me)s"  When a stupid app pops up, Mr L, just do it the old fashioned way, alt-F4 gets rid of it!  Alt-F4 is also my default method of closing down Win 8.1, rather than farting about with their silly shut down structure.  Alt-f4, enter, is all thats needed.
[/quote]

I managed to set it up without one, but to add to the rant.....

Microchuffingsoftinthebrain. When on my windows 8.1 machine I go to add a new user account, and I tell you "no thanks, I do not wish to connect this account with a microsoft online account", please don't fucking patronise me and tell me why I should. I have been dealing with this shit for long enough to know better. Why don't you just have a check box that asks "do you have a clue?", obviously no help should be provided on that.

And whilst on the subject.... this machine is so vastly overpowered in every respect that it's certainly smarter than me, it's capable of disk throughput that would have had the NSA and GCHQ wetting their drawers about not too many years ago, but when I had got past the patronising attitude and tablet interface and windows started to add the user account, why did it take getting on for 15 minutes? 15 minutes of being shown "useful" messages and pretty screens? 15 seconds is more than it required.

And another rant at microsoft windows.... I can think of about 8 major versions of windows ove r the last 20+ years, in that time the hardware has grown such that an original PC compatible probably wouldn't have sufficient power to run a modern USB port, but still windows is welded to the paradigm of drive letters. But worse than that. Much worse, it still wants all user accounts to live with all their files in drive C.

After such ranting, I must add an anti-rant. Something I've found that Windows 8 does do - you can right click on an iso image and mount it as a drive. *rant* about bloody time!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

David Martin

« Reply #405 on: 23 December, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »

After such ranting, I must add an anti-rant. Something I've found that Windows 8 does do - you can right click on an iso image and mount it as a drive. *rant* about bloody time!

You've been able to do that for some time. Since XP at least, though it may have required thrid party helpers. And there was a sort of mount option for splicing drives into paths unix-lite style in DOS from way back. But it was always behind the curve.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #406 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:31:05 am »
This is more a rant at myself, for being so damned stupid, than an IT rant.

Why the fuck was I so stupid as to set up TLD's tablet, the first time, with my G+ details?

It didn't really affect me until I did a full wipe/restore on my tablet, which is now downloading and installing all sorts of crap suitable for a 10 yr old.

Thing is, I'm not a 10 yr old!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #407 on: 31 December, 2014, 11:03:32 am »
Are you sure? :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #408 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:35:12 pm »
You think that's bad, your 10yo has suddenly been introduced to the darker side of the tinterwebs and Rule 34.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

ian

« Reply #409 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
Ah, iTunes has updated its terms and conditions, do I agree? Well, let's give them a quick read. Page 1 of 37...

Whereas I'm not allowed to talk about the afterlife, I think I'm safe revealing that lawyers only take the down escalator when life finally manages to shrug them off and let's just say their eternity of torments runs to a lot more than 37 pages. And they televise it. It's the probably the most popular programme in Hell after their own version of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #410 on: 03 January, 2015, 07:46:31 pm »

You've been able to do that for some time. Since XP at least, though it may have required thrid party helpers. And there was a sort of mount option for splicing drives into paths unix-lite style in DOS from way back. But it was always behind the curve.

Native ISO mounting has not been available in any previous version of Windows.
It has required a 3-rd party utility like Virtual Clone Drive to do it.

I don't have win8 here, but if it's anything like their support for zip files in explorer, you will still want the 3-rd party tools!

Mount Points for volumes has been around since XP, IIRC, and I've used on occasion, but I've not seen it used In Real Life.

David Martin

« Reply #411 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:38:35 pm »
The command I was thinking of was ASSIGN which was superceded by SUBST

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #412 on: 04 January, 2015, 02:35:03 pm »
No, Microsith, I do not want to turn on "Sticky Keys".  If I want "Sticky Keys" I'll pour tea over my keyboard.

<Brick Top>
Now fuck off!
</Brick Top>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #413 on: 04 January, 2015, 03:58:31 pm »
Did you find out by accidentally leaning on the spacebar, like I did?
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #414 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:56:17 pm »
Tapping "Shift" to turn off the screen saver ???

And another thing: how come teh Stupiz old XP laptop doesn't recognise the USB disk drive?  It knows it's there but it dun't show up in Explorer.

Bah!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #415 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »
Cos it's got no drive letter?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #416 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:14:28 pm »
Previous external HDDs have showed up as "E:", what with that being the next available letter.  Alas that one is too small to hold all the Stuffs I need to copy.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #417 on: 05 January, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »
But sometimes Windows removes drive letters for no apparent reason - at least it does on my Babbage Engines - then the drive will be invisible in Explorer.    Or it's corrupted or an incompatible partition type or size.    Try Disk Management in any case.

GPT no good with XP 32-bit, for egg sample.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #418 on: 05 January, 2015, 09:01:39 pm »
But sometimes Windows removes drive letters for no apparent reason - at least it does on my Babbage Engines - then the drive will be invisible in Explorer.    Or it's corrupted or an incompatible partition type or size.    Try Disk Management in any case.

This appears to be happening with the old external drive; it drops off the radar for no resdily apparent reason save old age midway theough copying Stuffs to it.  Which is annoying.

GPT no good with XP 32-bit, for egg sample.

Ah.  All becomes clear(er).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #419 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:23:46 pm »
And another thing, Google!  If I use the forum's searchy SCIENCE to see whether there has been a thread about an ITV crimething whose second series started tonight, I neither expect nor want answers containing the likes of "X is a broad church".  Did I put a space in my search term?  Why, no!  No, I did not.

Honestly, sometimes you make $BIG_BROTHER_CONTESTANT look like Brian Cox and his big helichopter.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #420 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:12:17 am »
Printers.  And cloud computing.  Nothing good can come of it, I say...

« Reply #421 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:46:36 am »
Printers.  And cloud computing.  Nothing good can come of it, I say...

Yeh, bloody tromboning isn’t it. I spend half my life trying to design networks so you don't get tromboning then they go and build it in as a feature ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #422 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:28:24 am »
Shutting down Windows 8? Oh, how we laughed.

Still having trouble, Jaded?

I don't use win 8 myself, but my son frequently leaves his machine on and since I pay for the leccy I find the desktop icon that looks like an on/off button quite handy ;).
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #423 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:31:40 am »
Not really a rant but I was very used to the ALT+left button to move a window and ALT+middle button to resize. Now it's ALT+right button to resize whereas ALT+middle button brings up the window options menu. I therefore end up minimising the current window (ie the one I'm working in) instead of resizing. I'll learn eventually...
Pen Pusher

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #424 on: 07 January, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »
Office 2013 - Christ.
I've barely got to grips with the chuffing ribbon fellow and now this. why is everything in CAPS. the painful licence code, where has everything gone? don't tell me it's easier than it was before -the tame teenagers in the household are struggling to do anything with it.
A shitter and a giggler.