Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404236 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #475 on: 08 February, 2015, 01:40:09 pm »
Windows 8 wants you to create an account before it will give you solitaire.

Google Chrome appstore (runs in regular chrome as well) has a variety of solitaire implementations.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #476 on: 09 February, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »
Hello Freeola!

Thank you for changing my Babbage-Post settings over the weekend and not fucking telling me about it or anything.  No thanks to you shower of dunces I have finally persuaded Thunderbird to receive Babbage-Post to that address but no amount of faffage has yet persuaded it to send even a one-word message to my Mega!-Global! Exclamation! Mark! Corporation! of! Sunnyvale!, USAnia! address.  It's not as if that address gets used for anything very important, except for buying shit from the Mega-Global Sounds Like A Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia, and the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia store, and divers other things involving Money.

Sort it out u muppets!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #477 on: 10 February, 2015, 09:56:20 am »
Hey, hey, happy Windows, I'm real glad you've installed an update. It's sure must be swell. Thanks for telling that you are so happy with your new update that you are going to spontaneously restart. Just for me. In 2 mins and 9, 8, 7, 6, 5... seconds. The countdown is very James Bond.  It's doubly nice that the postpone button is greyed out and there's no red wire to cut. Even better you hid this message under a tiny little flashing systray icon that I just happened to notice.

And there you go, despite whatever productive task my computer might have been engaged in, you've just turned the entire fucking thing off and gone into a long update cycle. The Amish build barns quicker.

Yeah, yeah, there's probably a setting, but I'm sure the mothership has creatively erected a large policy tent over it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #478 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:06:56 am »
I aten't had the spontaneous reboot thing on Win 8 but suspect the mothership may be using Something Else.  XP did it all the time.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #479 on: 10 February, 2015, 10:52:23 am »
I have on Win8. The worst bit is that unlike XP, you can't just keep putting it off. It actually decides after a while to shut your computer down whether you want to or not >:(

I suppose I should go looking for scheduled updates (or turn the computer off in the evening rather than leaving it to hibernate)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #480 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:16:45 pm »
Hey, hey, happy Windows, I'm real glad you've installed an update. It's sure must be swell. Thanks for telling that you are so happy with your new update that you are going to spontaneously restart. Just for me. In 2 mins and 9, 8, 7, 6, 5... seconds. The countdown is very James Bond.  It's doubly nice that the postpone button is greyed out and there's no red wire to cut. Even better you hid this message under a tiny little flashing systray icon that I just happened to notice.

And there you go, despite whatever productive task my computer might have been engaged in, you've just turned the entire fucking thing off and gone into a long update cycle. The Amish build barns quicker.

Yeah, yeah, there's probably a setting, but I'm sure the mothership has creatively erected a large policy tent over it.

Yep that's a thing you can turn on on the network, we used to have to do it otherwise the developers would never install patches and then take down the network when their laptop got exploited.

I think you can set it so it only forces you after you've ignored a number of suggestions.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #481 on: 10 February, 2015, 02:30:30 pm »

Yep that's a thing you can turn on on the network, we used to have to do it otherwise the developers would never install patches and then take down the network when their laptop got exploited.

I think you can set it so it only forces you after you've ignored a number of suggestions.

D.

Sadly all greyed out. That'll be the Group Policy, as dictated by the little Stalin on the IT deck (oh momma, we've outsourced to IBM). They also make my machine lock-screen every fifteen minutes. Drives me crazy but Cannot Be Changed even though I work in an empty house where the only security threats are cats and ghosts.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #482 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:10:37 pm »
It's not the cats or ghosts.

It's the bears.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #483 on: 10 February, 2015, 03:22:39 pm »
<---- He heard that...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #484 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:08:04 pm »
Mega-Global Sounds Like A Big River Corporation of Seattle, USAnia!  Your webby SCIENCE shews nine pages of albums by $ARTIST.  So when I click on an album on page three of the listing, view the details and then click "back" I should like to return to page three.

Not page fucking one >:(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #485 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
Our stupid, outdated Internet Browser (IE7!) is so crap that I've just frozen the computer three times trying to download PDF files of some Chemical MSDS forms from the supplier. Please to be having software that was actually written in this decade and makes at least an effort to meet standards.

Oh, and as a side show, if I log on to our company website using this company PC it tells me my browser is outdated and needs to be upgraded :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #486 on: 12 February, 2015, 07:51:46 am »
I feel your pain.  We couldn't access all manner of Govt related stuff we needed for our jobs, so they "upgraded" to IE8 a few months ago.  Is there some reason why we could go to the current version? (whatever that is, I don't use it at home so I've lost track)  We still have quite a few XP PCs, but many, including mine because it had a convenient breakdown  ;D, runs Win7.
Wombat

ian

« Reply #487 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
Outlook, I appreciate your calendar runs my life like Stalin's more ruthless cousin, but remind me of the value of popping up a meeting reminder for a meeting that is '37 minutes' overdue. It was a thirty minute meeting.

Why, in the name of Finestre, does it do that? Was it too busy in advance of the meeting? You're the bloody calendar, you're not supposed to forget. That's evidently my job. Hi, I'm Outlook, you should have been in a meeting but it's finished now, soz. Bring back the animated cat. Office went downhill the day that disappeared. I trusted the cat.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #488 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:54:41 pm »
Microshaft Office Professional (Ha!) Plus (plus what exactly) 2013, you are more shit than a shit thing that has fallen into a slurry pit, climbed back out and trodden in a steaming pile of poo.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #489 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:33:10 pm »
It is rather (have a copy on a new work laptop). FUGLY Piece of Shit and I'm not sure where anything is.

ALL I wanted was remote-STTR (realtime captioning communications support) without HASSLE!  I didn't get it even on a tested setup.

MiFi Dongle thing? Why do you need the password again? You've not asked for it since I set it up but suddenly want the password as if you never had it. Fucker.

Citrix - why did you decide to load the fileshare once and then NOT load it when I got virtualisation confusion and saved the file with said password in it that I wanted to *FuckKnows* so I couldn't get the MiFi dongle password?  Seriously unamused. 4 browswers. 2 reboots... Two different working wifi networks.

Then back at the office, Citrix works as if nothing was ever wrong over wifi 2?  Could the fucking bastard IT bastards have taken Citrix shit down intermittently this morning?  Could the browsers have actually given error messages with meaningful info rather than *loady loady* *vanish!* and I suspect at least one browser is eating the plugin...

As for fucking sound, the less said the better. Digital fm system radio aid receiver was cutting out at a mere 15m from transmitter which isn't fucking good enough.  Also the sound setup I had working PERFECTLY last week on my desk Would Not Fucking Work so I had to dredge out backup analogue fm radio aid that I hurled into bag on way out (late) and use TWO sound systems when ONE should have been able to work...

Technology is clearly laughing at today's day and date...

« Reply #490 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »
 Micro$haft Orifice!

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #491 on: 15 February, 2015, 10:35:01 pm »
VirtualBox 4.3.22 breaks my computer.  After installing it neither the network card or the USB2 controller work properly.  It does it repeatably too, as I found out after restoring the machine to a working state and trying it again (isn't that one definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and expecting different results?).

« Reply #492 on: 15 February, 2015, 10:55:15 pm »
VirtualBox 4.3.22 breaks my computer.  After installing it neither the network card or the USB2 controller work properly.  It does it repeatably too, as I found out after restoring the machine to a working state and trying it again (isn't that one definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and expecting different results?).

I was wondering whether to upgrade, what's your config? Windows or Linux host?

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #493 on: 15 February, 2015, 11:13:43 pm »
Windows host, 8.1 64bit.  I don't use VirtualBox much, but it is useful when someone says "my XP/Vista/Windows7 machine does x", to see whether I can reproduce it. 

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #494 on: 15 February, 2015, 11:43:06 pm »
BBC have borked iPlayer so that Squeezebox disnae play 6Music  :demon: Jist gonnae no  :hand:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #495 on: 19 February, 2015, 11:46:56 am »
I do not know whether the speed with which text typed in the latest version of Chrome on the fondleslab would improve by having fewer tabs open, but if it doesn't then the "update" is a big steaming bowl of wombat spooge.

Thanks Google :-\

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #496 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:42:42 pm »
BBC have borked iPlayer so that Squeezebox disnae play 6Music  :demon: Jist gonnae no  :hand:

Yay, it's back  :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #497 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:07:41 am »
Superfish. If you have bought a lenovo laptop recently then you should check of this and watch a brand reputation go south faster than a swallow in autumn.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Afasoas

« Reply #498 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:07:49 am »
Pity they were so silly. I've always rated Lenovo products.
And still, the American Telco's seem to get away with CarrierIQ

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #499 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:12:35 am »
I am in the market for a new laptop, and Lenevo are on the list.

Maybe surprisingly, after this, they still are. Why? Well I wouldn't be (and never have, with any laptop) running the stock build. The windows partition would be blown away and either replaced with a vanilla windows build or the machine just built with Linux.

I am not surprised about this, nor should anyone else who has worked with computers for a while, all manufacturers install tonnes of shit, some just more malicious than others.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State