Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 406707 times)

Afasoas

Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #825 on: 26 August, 2015, 04:17:46 pm »
Oh for fuck's sake, they're doing the fucking email thing again. Stop hitting REPLY ALL, you starspangled fuckstains.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure whether to be subtly pleased with the sheer deviousness of the responses to all that say 'stop replying to all.'

There's 33,000 names in the group email used...

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3igw3e/someone_just_sent_an_email_to_33000_employees/

ian

« Reply #826 on: 26 August, 2015, 05:48:38 pm »
Yep, that's the beauty. They're still coming in, we're at the 'I'm not sure why I got this?' stage now. Why not ask 33,000 people, I'm sure one of them knows.

I created a rule to dump everything with the subject line, then people started changing the subject line to PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO ALL or WHAT IS THIS?????????

You know, for most of the time I can convince myself that I don't live in a world filled with people so dumb, and then they go spoil the illusion. To think that these people vote and breed and drive large cars and occupy positions of responsibility. It explains so much about the world.

Guess who just replied to all, wayhey, it's everyone favour three letter computer business coming aboard. I should get pretzels.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #827 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »
HAL?

I've just picked up a fault in the AE33000 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #828 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:43:16 pm »
You know you've made the big leagues when your fuckup at work has a hashtag.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #829 on: 31 August, 2015, 11:03:58 pm »
The Weather Channel!  Your app is quite handy and tells me that "In September, Seattle is warmer than, and has similar rainfall to, X" but putting an advertising-announcement over the space where X should be named rather defeats the object of the exercise ???

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #830 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:10:11 am »

Trying to connect to the online system to file a sales tax return here in Americaland.

Needless to say the site doesn't work at all using Firefox. Or Chrome. Or Android's vaguely named "Internet". For good measure the security certificates are all wrong. So reluctantly I load up Internet Explorer and visit the site, only to find I get an "Access Denied" message with the helpful hint "you may need to log in". Yes, that's what I was trying to do. But apparently I can't see the login screen until I log in.

So that's going to be another half an hour listening to hold music tomorrow then...
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Afasoas

« Reply #831 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:55:51 am »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #832 on: 03 September, 2015, 01:16:27 pm »
The worst kind of f*ck up involving large email groups:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/02/ico_looking_into_london_clinics_spaffing_of_780_patients_hiv_status/

Someone suggested to me that email clients should really pop up a warning when sending messages to large numbers of recipients without BCC.  That seems like an excellent idea, but I don't for a minute expect that these incidents would be avoided, because people would just click 'OK' when confronted with an unfamiliar dialog.

« Reply #833 on: 03 September, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »
Better would be to pop up a notification that your CC had been changed automatically to BCC, with a big OK button, and a small & insignificant tickbox to tick if you really want to CC.

Ben T

« Reply #834 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:30:06 am »
why are some words so hard to bloody type?
"unobtrusive"

keeps coming out as
unobstruvie
unosbsturve
unobstrive
etc

the best i can get wihtout literally looking at each letter in turn is
unobstrusive
but the "s" always creeps in
 ??? >:( >:( >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #835 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »
Bluddi FaceAche! >:(

My phone app logged me out, and is now demanding proof of ID to let me back in, which sounds dodgy, but is just the sort of thing they would do.  A friend contacted me because apparently I seem to have disabled my account.

Will have to look into the matter when I log on this evening.  Hmm... >:(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #836 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
Good grief!  Talk about being ID'd!  I've had further contact with FB, and they want me to prove I'm over 13.  I'd've thought the many photos of a two year old child would be a fair indication...
Getting there...

« Reply #837 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »
Jack it in.   I'm very happy that I've disabled my faceache account.   I don't miss it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #838 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:02:54 am »
I use it to communicate with any friends who have the misfortune not to be on this forum. 

Aaaaanyway, Facebook have decided I am not under age (though I understand how my careful daily skincare regime may have fooled them), and allowed me back through the hallowed portal.
Getting there...

« Reply #839 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:09:55 am »
Ah, I see.

I have rediscovered texting and emailing for such purposes. 

« Reply #840 on: 09 September, 2015, 01:10:28 pm »
The worst kind of f*ck up involving large email groups:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/02/ico_looking_into_london_clinics_spaffing_of_780_patients_hiv_status/

Someone suggested to me that email clients should really pop up a warning when sending messages to large numbers of recipients without BCC.  That seems like an excellent idea, but I don't for a minute expect that these incidents would be avoided, because people would just click 'OK' when confronted with an unfamiliar dialog.

You know more about this than I do, but wouldn't it be possible to reject outgoing emails at the server if they had more than one To: or Cc:? Given the particularly sensitive nature of the data being held at this place, why rely on humans not making an error?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #841 on: 09 September, 2015, 01:18:22 pm »
You know more about this than I do, but wouldn't it be possible to reject outgoing emails at the server if they had more than one To: or Cc:? Given the particularly sensitive nature of the data being held at this place, why rely on humans not making an error?

Now *that's* not a bad idea.

I know exim allows you to limit the number of recipients (unfortunately this includes BCC, but it's a start).  Presumably with a bit of scripting-fu you could count the number of To:s and CC:s and reject on that basis.

Wouldn't stop someone who knows what they're doing from sending large numbers of messages, but it might reduce the frequency of these accidents.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #842 on: 10 September, 2015, 01:59:47 am »
Ah, I see.

I have rediscovered texting and emailing for such purposes.

Pffft!  Last night I had so little intertubes that I could receive e-mail but not send it, and could not get the web at all.  Also no phone signal.  Bah!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #843 on: 12 September, 2015, 04:44:05 am »
OK, Chocolate Factory, what the actual fuck does

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

actually mean?  Apart from my not being able to upload any photos to Flickr, obv.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #844 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
This morning I discovered why WinXDVD rips DVDs so much faster than Handbrake. It was only ripping the first five minutes of the film!
So when I thought I had ripped two films and the first two series of Breaking Bad, I hadn't.
There has to be a better way than spending 16 hours ripping a film.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #845 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »
Buy a better computer. Transcoding video is one of the few things that causes those processor cores to flex.

Mind you, my 2009-vintage Mac Mini manages to rip an average two hour movie to .mp4 in just over an hour (with Handbrake)...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #846 on: 21 September, 2015, 02:37:45 am »
Nice one, fondleslab.  Why not start updating Chrome in a motel where the connection to the intertubes times out - by design - every so often, thereby rendering yourself completely fucking useless >:(

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #847 on: 21 September, 2015, 11:33:06 pm »
Why won't win 7 update?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #848 on: 22 September, 2015, 06:14:33 pm »
Bugs in the works.  Google the error code if it happens again after a system restart.  Sometimes there's a fix to download from MS.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #849 on: 23 September, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »
In standard computer....it is not saying anything just watching the bar move.  Then a little message telling me it has failed.