Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 402219 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #975 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:50:45 pm »
But that magic button toggles everything in the Mac world (and I doubt non-savvy users change the default). Anyway, just right-click and select Open Package to get at the contents and the Originals folder without command line incantations.

I only discovered that iTunes (on Windows) can use multiple libraries by accident and yes, the Magic Button is used to select which one you want.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #976 on: 31 December, 2015, 09:52:51 pm »
I am sufficiently melophobic not to know how you simulate a right-click on an Apple one-button mouse. Did I mention that there are two different, but interacting, menus summoned by starting the program with two different magic salutes? It's all so alien and obscurantist. And I say that as someone who a mere twenty-odd years ago knew his way about a System 6 resource fork.
Not especially helpful or mature

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #977 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:06:56 am »
Another Jurassic Mac user!  That's you and Miss von Brandenburg...

ian

« Reply #978 on: 01 January, 2016, 04:58:04 pm »
Macs haven't had single button mice since 2005 so it must be a very old machine. My antique G4 tower has one, I think one of the last models where you had to ctrl-click.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #979 on: 01 January, 2016, 05:55:56 pm »
It's a laptop with a clicky touchpad. No doubt -- if right-button mice are now standard -- there is some elegantly unmarked area that counts as "right" when you press it, if only you know it's there...
Not especially helpful or mature

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #980 on: 01 January, 2016, 06:01:40 pm »
It's a laptop with a clicky touchpad. No doubt -- if right-button mice are now standard -- there is some elegantly unmarked area that counts as "right" when you press it, if only you know it's there...

The touchpad on my (Windows) laptop is like that; the only clue is a line on part of it which you can't feel.  Useful.  Miss von B's current desktop Mac was new last year, and the one before dated from "post 2007" but she's still a legacy mouse user.

ian

« Reply #981 on: 01 January, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »
Two finger tap.

« Reply #982 on: 02 January, 2016, 09:52:22 pm »
Twitter. You've been telling me every 10 minutes that my tweet has been retweeted (same tweet, retweet by same person). James is a jolly nice fellow, and not the sort to retweet one message quite so frequently. So, please be quiet.

Afasoas

« Reply #983 on: 03 January, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »
Spamhaus,  you're a bunch of egotistical self-righteous anally-retentive coccydynia.
They keep listing the /23 in which my mail server resides, on the back of 2% of IPs within the range having at some point being used for propagating spam.
That's 510 IP addresses listed for the sake 8 which have at one time or another been used for nefarious purposes.

Needless to say, I'm on the hunt for hosting with a VPS provider that takes a more stringent attitude towards preventing spam and reacts more proactively to Spamhaus listings. Or an affordable mail relay (..bye bye privacy)

I've just found an instance where Spamhaus blocked a /16 which included most of the Swedish Authorities.
I'm sure it's just part of a conspiracy designed to make it hard for smaller ISPs to run their own mail servers etc.. It's in the same vein as Microsoft almost insisting on obtaining ReturnPath certification at exorbitant cost in order to ensure delivery of email to hotmail/live/office 356 email accounts.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #984 on: 05 January, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »
Fondleslab, how the fuck is it taking four hours and counting to install that Dropbox update?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #985 on: 06 January, 2016, 12:21:01 am »
Spreadsheets: whose barmy idea were they?  All the maths hidden away in a million different places, so trying to work out how or whether A is related to B is a feat requiring the combined efforts of Holmes, Marple, Morse, Smiley and Ada bloody Lovelace.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #986 on: 06 January, 2016, 08:36:12 am »
Fondleslab, how the fuck is it taking four hours and counting to install that Dropbox update?

It's still "installing".  Someone is at home to Mr Fuckup with this.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #987 on: 17 January, 2016, 09:01:38 pm »
I have a special place in hell for people who make progress bars that re-set to 0% after several hours, and then announce that they have another several hours to go.

If you are going to do that shit, make 2 progress bars: 1 for the current operation, and 1 for overall progress.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #988 on: 17 January, 2016, 11:43:51 pm »
In similar vein: Bookcrawler, do I really have to keep your window in the foreground and poke you every so often to stop the fondleslab from going to sleep while you upload the database backup to Dropbox with the alacrity of a snail in a barrel of treacle?

What's that you say?  I do have to do it like that?

Bloody hell, how crap!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #989 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:36:13 pm »
Microsith, it is bad enough that you save user data to the system drive/partition by default but at least it's not too difficult to put a stop to this nonsense.  However, you now want to put everything in OneDrive.  I do not want you to do this, so I remove all reference to OneDrive from the vsrious docuthing libraries and that should be an end to it, yes?

No.  No, it isn't.  You keep adding OneDrive back.  Stop it, and fuck off.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #990 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:39:46 pm »
Thank you, Mega-Global Chocolate Manufactury Corporation of Mountain View, USAnia, for updating Chrome on my fondleslab.  A pity it now appears to have forgotten what I have and haven't read ???

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #991 on: 28 January, 2016, 07:43:03 pm »
Yes I get very sick of OneDrive, I want to be able to say FUCK OFF and have it stay fucked off. Apparently even if you remove it from the registry and stuff it REINSTALLS itself. Evil little fucker.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #992 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:18:23 pm »
PAM: What a pile of overcomplicated wank.  I have a bootstrapped system, I want to get into it for the first time but I'm going round in circles. 

What twisted mind came up with this thing?

Okay, I know the answer: it's open source, so it wasn't the product of just one twisted mind, it emerged from the interaction of a thousand twisted minds, just to torture me.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #993 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:32:52 am »
Chrome for iPad still not fit for purpose.  BAD Google  >:(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #994 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:12:58 pm »
Youtube. Why are you telling me "You're using an older version of Internet Explorer that we'll soon stop supporting. Please update your browser to the latest version."
I'm using the latest version of Firefox you div!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #995 on: 01 February, 2016, 09:01:03 pm »
Is there a browser available for iOS that isn't shit?  As mentioned above, the latest update to Chrome has b0rked it, while clicking "New" on any thread containing photos in Safari opens the thread somewhere random.  Also Safari's default mode is to hide the area you're typing in either off the top of the screen or under the keyboard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #996 on: 01 February, 2016, 11:24:45 pm »
Email programs that hide your email in draft when you think you have sent it. Only to discover it a month later, unsent when you wonder why you had no reply.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #997 on: 03 February, 2016, 02:15:08 pm »
VPN, one of three. WHY Are you failing to route traffic to the internet today? Yesterday you did, today you don't. I haven't changed a damn thing. Is it just a play for attention? YOU'RE MEANT TO JUST SIT THERE AND BE IGNORED.
Noone wants to do anything with a VPN once it has been set up.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #998 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:25:33 am »
Just checked our shiny new computer for video capture at work. Standard PC (with souped up RAM) and HDMI capture card. Surely not that hard to supply is it?

Seems so, the IT department (who I gave the request to) had no idea I needed the HDMI in, despite it being on their own form :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #999 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:26:23 am »
Today's spam from ebuyer:

Chris - Intel Windows 8 Tablet - Now Just ??

This nonsense is standard form for them. What's the point of cluttering up my inbox with your latest offers if you're not even going to tell me how cheap it is?

Now where did I leave that frying pan...