Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404632 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1050 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »
The Windows 10 resetting file associations business may only happen just after you set defaults, maybe not necessarily to existing ones, I guess.  That's what happened to me yesterday after setting Chrome and Sumatra PDF as defaults on a new installation.  Bloody W10 automatically set them back to IE and whatever, with a message claiming it was doing me a favour.  It didn't happen again after I redid them, fortunately.

And the suggestion on Inforword that it might only happen with W10 installed with Express defaults is incorrect.  I did a Custom install.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #1051 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:30:49 pm »
I disagree.  I am NOT going to type a leading quote into every sodding cell, just to allow it to display the leading zeros on an entire column of phone numbers.  I have to format the column as text.  What is so effing difficult for MS to allow Excel to show leading zeroes?  My spreadsheets are often garnered from assorted sources of data, so I cannot control how it arrives.  On this note, why does Excel sometimes decide, when copying data from one text formatted cell to another text formatted cell, to reset the formatting to number?

In my view, the number formatting dialogue should have a bit saying allow leading zeroes, yes/no.

They do?

Format-> Custom -> 0000 (or as many zeros as you want)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1052 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:35:14 pm »
Not sure it is a good idea to have random phone numbers starting with 00
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1053 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »
Besides. These things are computers. After you've typed in about three phone numbers why can't the stupid thing say "Aha!! This column is for phone numbers :smug:"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1054 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:59:50 pm »
Not only does teh Wombat speak the TRUTHS, but the initial population of the sheet in question was done automatically from a .csv file generated by MP3tag.  When this is imported into Excel you tell it that everything is text and it'll happily display for e.g. "5/62" without converting to a date.  But as soon as you try to change it to "5/68" it starts blethering about the Prague Spring.  Copy the offending data into Notepad, global replace of "62" with "68" and paste back into Excel and it displays as intended ???

Of course, even though you've specified "text" when importing, and Excel deigns to treat the imported data as text at first, when you actually look under the bonnet you find the entire sheet is considered to be "general" and when you change it to "text" it blah and you know the rest.  It took about nine hours to mung the file into a form that could be fed back into MP3tag to put disc and track numbers back in order.

The whole thing reminds me of the conversation in "Good Omens" where the two demons have been working away for years on individuals and Crowley ties up the whole of London's phone system for 45 minutes.  I'm sure Ian otp can name Excel's resident evil in no seconds flat.

Windows 10 file associations are a whole other madman with a bucket of shit, and the same goes for automatically appending ".txt" to files saved as plain text.  No, Microsith, if I call that file "dg16k_750.sii.txt" it won't fucking work >:(  Save it as "dg16k_750.sii" like I told you.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1055 on: 22 February, 2016, 11:01:26 pm »
Look, I don't want to stand in the way of a good rant or sound like a M$ fanboi, but on the offchance you might be interested doing it better......

Rather than opening a .csv, import it using the Data->Get External Data dialogue.

First screen will be the delimiter style, mostly that will be delimited
Next delimiter type, that should normally be a comma or whatever it is - can specify multiple delimiters but that doesn't normally end well. At this stage you start to see your data as it will appear
Next you get to specify the format for each column, including option to skip columns
Finish, and it all appears as if by magic

If you want to search and replace and autocorrect is interpreting date like things as date, use the quote to force text, single quote. The old style " for right align text and ^for central text no longer work in the base config.

The old file options are still available to alter, in File Explorer, you can change whether extensions are shown etc in the View Options dialog, stop hiding extensions for registered files and things start behaving better. Use Textpad instead of Notepad for editing text files and things get better still, because Notepad is pants. Actually you might prefer Notepad++ unless regular expression search gets you excited.

Formatting cells as text is NOT the same as using TEXT() formula and should be avoided pretty much every time for sanity.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1056 on: 22 February, 2016, 11:56:53 pm »
Apropos thee txt file Stuffs, the .sii file type is associated with Wordpad (which ought to know better) and used to work properly and now doesn't.

I get the exact same dialogue as wot Ham describes when doing "File...Open..." on the saved .csv file and already tell it, yes, every bloody column is text.  I use | as a field separator.  I suppose I could pre-jibble it with a text editor first and replace | with |' and then watch it get saved as iThings.csv.txt >:(

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1057 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:26:28 am »
I disagree.  I am NOT going to type a leading quote into every sodding cell, just to allow it to display the leading zeros on an entire column of phone numbers.  I have to format the column as text.  What is so effing difficult for MS to allow Excel to show leading zeroes?  My spreadsheets are often garnered from assorted sources of data, so I cannot control how it arrives.  On this note, why does Excel sometimes decide, when copying data from one text formatted cell to another text formatted cell, to reset the formatting to number?

In my view, the number formatting dialogue should have a bit saying allow leading zeroes, yes/no.

They do?

Format-> Custom -> 0000 (or as many zeros as you want)

But doesn't that stick the relevant number of zeroes in front of everything?  All I want it to do is leave my bloody zeroes alone, i.e. if I type one in, or one is there in data pasted in from elsewhere, just leave it as it is, don't mess about with it.

My spreadsheets are usually garnered from a raft of sources, sometimes extracts from our own housing system, which vomits out .csv files, sometimes Govt data which is usually .xls, and after they have been initially compiled, additional data is gathered from elsewhere, and either pasted in, or manually typed in.  Quite often they may be project lists, of addresses, and when more people come on board, we add their details, and put their phone number in the relevant column which is already formatted as text, to stop the leading zero suppression, and sometimes, but not always, Excel goes "oh look, that looks like a number you are putting in there, I'll re-format it as one, and wipe off the leading zero."  Just fucking stoppit, excel!

I'll explore the "get external data" dialogue, but often its a case of having a little snippet of data from somewhere, possibly even an email, and dropping it in, and that isn't really appropriate.

Next rant isn't aimed at Excel, its the idiots that wrote our housing system, whoever thought that stick the house number and street all in one cell was clever?  How the fuck am I supposed to sort that?  Cue much jibbling with adding spaces by replacing single ones with triple ones, then doing a text to columns, then removing the spaces.  the space jibbling is because I have to have fixed delimiters because I can't use spaces as delimiters because it would separate "high" and "Street" inot separate cells, and of course house numbers can be from a single digit up to 4 digits, including an a or b on the end.  Ah, of course its a pointless rant, because the system is by Crapita....
Wombat

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1058 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:52:41 am »
You need a Regular Expression find/replace in a text editor. Worked on the column with the number / name combo.

Converting 'number (with or without letter after it) space' into 'number (with or without letter after it) tab'
Copy the column into a txt editor, do the reg exp thing, insert one or more columns in the spreadsheet then paste the text back in.

Obviously it isn't quite as simple as that...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1059 on: 23 February, 2016, 07:18:03 pm »
Podcast Addict, thanks to your brain dead way of dealing with head phones I have now lost about 3 hours of podcasts. To explain, plug in headphones and it starts playing, all good so far. One would assume, would one not that if you then remove the headphones it would stop, or at the very least start playing through the phone speakers, wouldn't you? No, it appears that it can't do that so it keeps playing, through headphones that are no longer there! Worse still is that if you pause playback, say to take a call, then unplug the headphones without restarting playback, it sees a change of headphones state so restarts playback, again through the non-existent headphones!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1060 on: 23 February, 2016, 09:11:26 pm »
It doesn't do that on my phone. But it does have the annoying habit that if you stop playing, then some time later take a call, at the end of the call it thinks you only stopped to take a call and starts playing again (headphones or not). Grr.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1061 on: 23 February, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »
Echo cancellers!  Work of Stan, the lot of em.

The sooner someone (other than Doro, who had a go and then gave up) makes a proper SIP phone that goes to 11 the better.  Preferably before PCI slots become obsolete.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1062 on: 24 February, 2016, 09:36:55 am »
You need a Regular Expression find/replace in a text editor. Worked on the column with the number / name combo.

Converting 'number (with or without letter after it) space' into 'number (with or without letter after it) tab'
Copy the column into a txt editor, do the reg exp thing, insert one or more columns in the spreadsheet then paste the text back in.

Obviously it isn't quite as simple as that...
Notepad++ is a very good and free windows text editor that Does. The. Right. Things. (tm)
Excel is an abomination. You can make excuses for poor user interfaces and blame it on user error, but then you start to sound just like some whiny unix fanboy who is just about to suggest using sed and awk as a more efficient way of doing it.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1063 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:10:26 pm »
Oi, LibreOffice, please to be not crashing so often (better, at all)!  I've not really lost any work, but it's getting really friggin annoying.  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1064 on: 11 March, 2016, 07:48:05 pm »
Widnows, what part of "Start Maximised" is so difficult to understand?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1065 on: 11 March, 2016, 08:11:13 pm »
Plume (or Twitter, or whatever's actually responsible) - why the fuck are you replacing perfectly good ASCII asterisks with weird Unicode monstrosities?  Some committee in the 1960s gave us proper asterisks for good reasons, and randomly substituting them for funny FORRIN-looking ones is even less useful than Apple hiding the hash key or Microsoft Word deciding it's going to piss all over your quotation marks.

Also, Unicode consortium!  You've seen fit to supply us with several flavours of slightly different asterisk, turds, snowmen, countless useful mathematical symbols and god knows what else, but at no point did anyone sit down and think that it might be a good idea to have a little Asterix, for ironic use around people who can't spell?  Standards organisations - no sense of humour.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1066 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:39:08 pm »
...Microsoft Word deciding it's going to piss all over your quotation marks...

Yes, WTF is going on with those (nae jist Windaes)?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1067 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:25:49 am »
...Microsoft Word deciding it's going to piss all over your quotation marks...

Yes, WTF is going on with those (nae jist Windaes)?

Fucking "smart" quotes, I expect.  See also "standalone acute accent substituting for apostrophe's" and other Crimes Against Typography  >:(

Also, Windows, if a scheduled task is set to run at time X, doesn't run because the Babbage-Engine is switched off and is set to run at startup if missed that means ALL scheduled jobs thus set, not just the odd one you think is important enough.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1068 on: 14 March, 2016, 07:57:04 pm »
Dear fuckweasels of Redmond.  Please either:
a) stop replacing the start menu shortcuts for terd and exhell in the patches you issue.  The old executable is in exactly the same place and has exactley the same file name as the new one so the is no fucking reason at all to replace the shortcut.  Why do I care?  Keyboard shortcuts.  You give us the useful facility to set a shortcut key then when we are good and used to using it you drop your trousers and shit on it.
b) stop breathing.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1069 on: 15 March, 2016, 11:55:42 am »
Also, Unicode consortium!  You've seen fit to supply us with several flavours of slightly different asterisk, turds, snowmen, countless useful mathematical symbols and god knows what else, but at no point did anyone sit down and think that it might be a good idea to have a little Asterix, for ironic use around people who can't spell?  Standards organisations - no sense of humour.
Rem acu tetigisti. I think that must be it: emoji are mildly horrible because they're ultimately joyless. And the more there are of them, the less they do a useful job. They cease to be a punctuation mark conveying how the plain written text would be varied in more expressive speech, and become a mere method for typesetting pictures inline with text. Ultimately either the choice of pictograph is too restrictive, established by the joyless standards committee in arbitrary ways and freezing temporarily popular images into communications for all time; or it is too general, and finding the picture you want among all the 232 (ok, currently only a thousand-odd, but still) randomly added elements of the standard becomes impossible; while no font designer could possibly hope to produce new images for every character, so the pictograph as typeset will be selected from some generic font and fit the text as badly as a cut-and-pasted picture would. Or both.

In the end we will certainly abandon the idea, and this forum would be a great place to start. We should ban them all.

(click to show/hide)
Not especially helpful or mature

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1070 on: 15 March, 2016, 02:32:16 pm »
Rem acu tetigisti. I think that must be it: emoji are mildly horrible because they're ultimately joyless. And the more there are of them, the less they do a useful job. They cease to be a punctuation mark conveying how the plain written text would be varied in more expressive speech, and become a mere method for typesetting pictures inline with text. Ultimately either the choice of pictograph is too restrictive, established by the joyless standards committee in arbitrary ways and freezing temporarily popular images into communications for all time; or it is too general, and finding the picture you want among all the 232 (ok, currently only a thousand-odd, but still) randomly added elements of the standard becomes impossible; while no font designer could possibly hope to produce new images for every character, so the pictograph as typeset will be selected from some generic font and fit the text as badly as a cut-and-pasted picture would. Or both.

In the end we will certainly abandon the idea, and this forum would be a great place to start. We should ban them all.

(click to show/hide)

New KB please, this one's full of tea!
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1071 on: 22 March, 2016, 08:25:08 pm »
Network in exile-office keeps falling out from under me with exciting consequences for networked drives etc.

Today's fucknuttery was ALL my shortcuts to anywhere/anything on the network drive just vanished off my local desktop entirely. I had to recreate them ALL with a network which kept hanging when I tried to rename them for my usual keyboard navigable filenames etc. 

As requested I provided IT with "time specific data" on incidents and asked "why have all my networked shortcuts vanished?".  I have copied the shortcuts to my userspace in the hope I can restore them again easily if they go AWOL but FFS, time, stress and annoyance I did not need as I kept discovering new ones I hadn't remembered to fix, and had to fix em...

Fucking useless piece of shit notwork.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1072 on: 27 March, 2016, 11:07:26 am »
F'ing Acronis True Image, WTF do you think you are playing at?

I buy a new 1TB SSD on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, you decide you are going to back up my entire system to it, thus neatly filling it up totally.  Bearing in mind you do not have ANY scheduled backups, but rely on me doing them when I'm available (and therefore when the PC is actually switched on), quite how did you manage this piece of fuckwittery?  So, you see a new drive appear and think, "well, he doesn't want me doing scheduled backups toe the 3TB drive which I normally, use, so I'll do a ninja backup to the new drive he thinks he's going to use for data, instead, that'll teach him to mess with my settings"...

I couldn't work out why Windows was telling me the new drive was dangerously full, and was beginning to think there was something amiss with it.  Bearing in mind it contains best part of a week's work of photo processing for a British Library endangered archives project, I am NOT amused.

I've told it to delete the backup, and now its just sat there, with a little circle thing going, doing absolutely stuff all, and refusing to close down either.  I was trying to do some work today!
Wombat

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1073 on: 27 March, 2016, 11:33:39 am »
I forked out Actual Money for a 3-PC Acronis TIB licence not long ago and after a couple of weeks of frustration, swearing, clicking "Repair" every other day and general Shit Not Working have switched to Macrium Reflect Free >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1074 on: 27 March, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »
F'ing Acronis True Image, WTF do you think you are playing at?

I buy a new 1TB SSD on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, you decide you are going to back up my entire system to it, thus neatly filling it up totally.  Bearing in mind you do not have ANY scheduled backups, but rely on me doing them when I'm available (and therefore when the PC is actually switched on), quite how did you manage this piece of fuckwittery?  So, you see a new drive appear and think, "well, he doesn't want me doing scheduled backups toe the 3TB drive which I normally, use, so I'll do a ninja backup to the new drive he thinks he's going to use for data, instead, that'll teach him to mess with my settings"...

Maybe a disk enumeration problem?  It might be the OS's fault rather than Acronis.