Author Topic: Today's SPAM  (Read 122527 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Today's SPAM
« Reply #300 on: 03 December, 2020, 10:21:14 am »
Tax Refund Notification
Due to on-going Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance and support for businesses, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund. Please submit the tax refund request and have your tax refund sent to your bank account in due time.
Please Click "Get Started" reference below to have your tax refund credit to your bank account in due time.
Get Started
Note : For Security reason we will record (IP Address, Time and Date) Delibrate Wrong input or flooding with be criminally pursued.
Best regards,
HM Revenue & Customs

Spot the Delibrate speeeling misteak.

Seems legit.  Time for Margret to sign up?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #301 on: 15 December, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »

Anyone else noticed a big spike in quantity of spam in the last 24 hours or so ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #302 on: 15 December, 2020, 06:52:50 pm »
I had a new-to-me one yesterday, a spam text with the message “Here is your Shop Pay one time code”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #303 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:06:03 pm »
The "anti-virus" phishing ones are still coming thick and fast into Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s inbox.  Do they really think people will see a subject line:

for-your°°safty_check_that
or
you_are_out_our_protection from{12/25/2020},please_check_your_subscription°soon°possible°

and think "Blimey, yes, the product I have no recollection of buying must be about to expire!" rather than "Jesus, these fuckers are growing thicker by the hour!"

« Reply #304 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:45:19 pm »

Anyone else noticed a big spike in quantity of spam in the last 24 hours or so ?

J

I don’t get any

« Reply #305 on: 25 December, 2020, 07:02:02 pm »
Haven't noticed any on our accounts.  Although I did buy a large tin of Spam in case of supply disruptions in the New Year.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #306 on: 26 December, 2020, 07:37:35 am »
I have no Apple products, so any spam relating to the company are easy to spot.

« Reply #307 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:46:51 am »
The "anti-virus" phishing ones are still coming thick and fast into Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s inbox.  Do they really think people will see a subject line:

for-your°°safty_check_that
or
you_are_out_our_protection from{12/25/2020},please_check_your_subscription°soon°possible°

and think "Blimey, yes, the product I have no recollection of buying must be about to expire!" rather than "Jesus, these fuckers are growing thicker by the hour!"

I know a few people in the first category.  Not necessarily idiots, but rather elderly people who rely on GrandSon* to set up everything on their computer.

A

*: There is no intention of gender discrimination in my  comment, but until now, I have yet to see GrandDaughter tinkering with GrandMa's computer.

« Reply #308 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:52:33 pm »
There is a train of thought that some spam is deliberately poorly phrased and spelt; that way, the only responses they get will be from those who are less on the ball, and likely easier marks for repeated scamming.

« Reply #309 on: 28 December, 2020, 07:55:36 am »
There is a train of thought that some spam is deliberately poorly phrased and spelt; that way, the only responses they get will be from those who are less on the ball, and likely easier marks for repeated scamming.

Subject lines are often mis-spelt so that they can bypass spam traps and inbox rules.

Another trend that appears to be on the increase, though it's been around for a while, is for Subject headers to be encoded so that a mail client can't test them.

For example: Subject: =?utf-8?B?8J2XpHVpY2tlbiDwnZefb2FucyBJcyBIZXJlIFRvIEhlbHAgSG9tZW93bmVycyBUYWtlIEFkdmFudGFnZSBPZiBOZWFyIEhpc3RvcmljIPCdl59vdyBSYXRlcw==?=

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #310 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:02:48 pm »

Subject lines are often mis-spelt so that they can bypass spam traps and inbox rules.

Another trend that appears to be on the increase, though it's been around for a while, is for Subject headers to be encoded so that a mail client can't test them.

For example: Subject: =?utf-8?B?8J2XpHVpY2tlbiDwnZefb2FucyBJcyBIZXJlIFRvIEhlbHAgSG9tZW93bmVycyBUYWtlIEFkdmFudGFnZSBPZiBOZWFyIEhpc3RvcmljIPCdl59vdyBSYXRlcw==?=

Yes, been getting a sudden increase in them.  Filtering on "UTF-8" seems to fix it, since no-once who's going to e-mail me legitimately is likely to put that in the subject ;D

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #311 on: 31 December, 2020, 04:58:48 pm »
Nearly all of the emails which find their way to my spam folder are in German. e.g. 10 out of the 12 which I've just deleted.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #312 on: 31 December, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »
No, “Frank”, putting a Hotmail address in the body of your e-mail will not help convince people your offer of a share of $15 million is kosher if the “From” address is twat at gmail dot com.

« Reply #313 on: 31 December, 2020, 06:23:12 pm »

Yes, been getting a sudden increase in them.  Filtering on "UTF-8" seems to fix it, since no-once who's going to e-mail me legitimately is likely to put that in the subject ;D

I'm envious.  Sadly my email client decodes the header before it lets the rules run, so the "UTF-8" has gone by then.  :(

« Reply #314 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:51:06 pm »
Funeral~Plan~Today.

Fuck off.

Any other Gmail users noticing a large increase in the amount of spam - albeit already filtered into Junk?

« Reply #315 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:01:03 pm »

Any other Gmail users noticing a large increase in the amount of spam - albeit already filtered into Junk?
Mine is running around a dozen a day. No increase noted.
I do wish I'd taken up all those bitcoin offers - I'd be so much richer stupider
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #316 on: 11 January, 2021, 07:42:00 pm »
Not a gmail user, but I’m getting at least 1 a day from gmail accounts into my work email

A

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #317 on: 20 January, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »
Abellio East Anglia Limited, please to be fucking off with your e-mails.  You send them to me.  You address me by my actual name.  You invite me to update my account that I might stop receiving them.  Then you tell me you have NO RECORD OF AN ACCOUNT USING MY E_MAIL ADDRESS ???

Get tae fuck.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #318 on: 22 January, 2021, 08:33:12 pm »
Dear valuable Customer,

Please be aware,  the package with your full name on it, is currently positioned at our stockroom around you.

In order to pick up your shipment personally or even to reschedule the shipment to your location, make sure you download and print out the waybill given in the web link down below along with the guidelines about this delivery:
It is simpler than it looks.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #319 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:12:42 am »
This is an automated call from Amazon. We are suspicious about order <string of letters & numbers> placed using your card as it is for a large sum: <something North of a grand>.
Please press 1 to speak to an operator. mark yourself out as gullible.
Ple..
Click
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #320 on: 01 February, 2021, 03:20:08 pm »
Had one of those today. Just put the phone down, but did check my (very rarely used) Amazon account to make sure there were no orders on it.

Many years ago someone did buy a TV on my account. I couldn't find any way of contacting Amazon to tell them it was a fraud. Anyway my credit card supplier refunded the money. I am sure it was an inside job within Amazon. These days I never leave my card number on websites.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #321 on: 04 February, 2021, 05:50:19 pm »
alarming message , you're out our service of protection (renew recommended)

O RLY?

D'ont leave your devices unprotected you are perfect target to cybercriminals

English, ["Samuel L Jackson's preferred pejorative" - Ed.]! Do? You? Speak? It?

« Reply #322 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:43:31 pm »
Just had a spam call from 07213 829900. Automated voice from my "internet service provider"
stating that there had been some illegal activity on my account and it will be switched off in 24
hours......... I hung up before the anything else was said.

Normally these things are voice-activated, eg; if you say hello, the automated voice kicks in. If you
don't say anything, after a few seconds you normally hear 'the other person has cleared' message.

I subscribed to the TPS service years ago. ::-)

« Reply #323 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:50:29 pm »
Not sure TPS covers mobiles.  We use an active call blocker - the BT Call Guardian (built into the phone). Don't get spam calls as a result. Not blocked anything important in the last 5 years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #324 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
I had a good one with a real person the other day.
"I understand you are the house owner"
"How the hell do you know that, all I said was 'hello'"
<click>
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."