Author Topic: Pooley's Petition for a Women's TdF  (Read 14040 times)

Re: Pooley's Petition for a Women's TdF
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2013, 08:10:56 am »
I have now

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2013, 08:26:36 am »
+1

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2013, 09:39:25 am »
done

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
Signed  :thumbsup:
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2013, 11:04:22 am »
Signed
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2013, 01:28:29 pm »
Signed
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »
Signed
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2013, 08:57:49 am »
Moi aussi.

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2013, 07:11:10 pm »
et moi
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2013, 08:02:30 pm »
et moi.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »
Done.

« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »
Yep
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »
 ONE MORE   
Its More Fun With Three .

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2014, 12:06:14 am »
This totally misses the point. Professional sports is about being paid to perform a service, in the case of road cycling it is effectively mobile billboards. If the demand from business was there then there would be a female grand tour ( doesn't have to be in France). Happy to support equality in amateur sports but as soon as it becomes professional then "he who pays the piper..."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:44:09 pm »
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 02 February, 2014, 08:30:41 am »
PC, I have a different point of view. There's no demand from business for female sports because.... spectators are accustomed to watch male-only sports. Things can only
change if some people decide to break out the old habits.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »
PC, I have a different point of view. There's no demand from business for female sports because.... spectators are accustomed to watch male-only sports. Things can only
change if some people decide to break out the old habits.

I understand (and to some extent agree) your point of view, however for the non-cyclist, watching road cycling is not very interesting. You could use your argument for women's hockey or netball, particularly as far more women play those sports week in week out. If I were a TV exec, marketing man etc, tthese sports are where I would put my money.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18 on: 02 February, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »
Road cycle racing has become popular enough for the grand tours and the ToB to get daily highlight programmes, and selected live coverage, on ITV4. The women's road race at London 2012 was very exciting (once they got the commentary sorted out), and was widely praised as such. So the seed has been sown for racing cycling to have general appeal. As that grows, advertisers will realise (I hope) that the appeal is irrelevant of gender, and that a women's race is just as effective marketing as a men's race - though the women's sport needs halo races to match the men's for non-enthusiast people to latch on to.

It's notable, however, how many non-cycling-specific sponsors have left the men's sport in the last year, which doesn't bode well. I hope women's cycling can attract the marketing budgets they need to put the sport on a sound financial footing, but I think it will be a long haul.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 02 February, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »
The mountain stages are the big USP of the TdF. They're gorgeous to look at, and it's amazing how humans can actually race up them.

Would you want to watch another bunch of (slightly slower) riders race up the same hills?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #20 on: 02 February, 2014, 04:30:13 pm »
I will watch any sexed sport as long it is exciting, ok don't own a telly, don't watch much sport and hate advertising on telly. AND I'm not that keen on watching sport that much anyway, that I would go out of my way to get a telly, SKY or season ticket to be able to follow said spot. The sport that I would like to watch on the box ain't on British cable, satellite or terrestrial enough to justify me paying for the setup to get it once a blue moon. To get foreign telly where the sports that I might watch on the box are often to watch cost too much to set up to again and justify, oh I'm rambling but you get the idea :)

So honestly I can't and won't be much help in getting more female sport on the box. But I'm still all for it, so a female TdF gets my vote big time and if it ever gets near me or I'm near it I will for sure go and watch it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

maxcherry

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2014, 04:35:58 pm »
America, Italy and others show women's cycling and other sports. It is England that is still dragging it's knuckles where it comes to females in sport.

« Reply #22 on: 02 February, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »
It is England that is still dragging it's knuckles where it comes to females in sport.

And the other constituent countries of the UK aren't?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »
Alex Salmond says an independent Scotland will show a women's TdF every day. And England will pay for it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2014, 05:30:59 pm »
Alex Salmond says an independent Scotland will show a women's TdF every day. And England will pay for it.
The ruthless bastard!

Anyway, for years now the Beeb have given Wimbledon Women's matches   equal airtime as the Men's - oh hang on, the women only play 3 sets, so I guess they get less airtime, my mistake.

I don't think "english" telly is particularly blinkered, it just reflects the audience appetite for a particular sport.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles