Author Topic: Finally caught  (Read 433 times)

Finally caught
« on: 15 April, 2024, 10:52:19 am »
This year (at 66) my cycling hasn't been able to get my BP down to the target 135/95 so I've finally had to capitulate and will be starting 5mg amlodipine.

Given that one of the side effects is dizzines and the recommendation is to not cycle if dizzy I'm planning to take my dose at night.

Anyone here experienced any issues cycling whilst on amlodipine.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Re: Finally caught
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:56:20 am »
I'm 66 too and like you, finally caved in to the GP nagging so am now on amlodipine and also atorvastatin.  No adverse effects on my cycling; I remain just as rubbish on a bike as I was before.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2024, 11:00:41 am »
I've been on it for four years, 5mg daily, taken each night.  I've not had any dizziness or other ill effects while cycling (or doing anything else).

I'm on Ramipril 2.5mg daily too, as amlodipine by itself wasn't quite doing enough.  BP is in the acceptable range although I don't have exact numbers to hand.

I'm 63 (in my head I'm loads younger).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2024, 02:09:24 pm »
Don't see it as capitulating, the GP is simply trying to reduce your risk of early death. Your odds might have been even better if you'd started them years ago.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2024, 04:05:55 pm »
Been on 10 mg Amlodipine for about 4 years (when I was 62). Can't recall ever having problems with dizziness. (Like Tim, on Ramipril as well and this combination usually keeps my BP down to the 125-130 range)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:52:29 pm »
At a youthful 76 I've been taking this lot for about 18 years :   amlodopine and losartan for BP control, edoxaban (used to take warfarin) for AF - all in the morning as advised, and Simvastatin at night.   No side effects other than when they changed the statin brand and I got muscular pain . .  changed back and all OK.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:58:06 pm »
No dizziness with amlodipine.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2024, 09:17:09 pm »
Thanks for the feedback all. No worries at the moment as the weather is yeuck for the next few days.  Lets see what Saturdays DD brings.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.