Author Topic: Kickstand for Brompton  (Read 5217 times)

Kickstand for Brompton
« on: 17 March, 2018, 07:19:59 pm »
Is there are sensibly priced, (under £30), kickstand for a Brompton that can be purchased in the UK, I need 2 x in Black

Singapore, (£65), and Taiwan, (£100), seem to be the only place you can get them from - surely there is a "normal" one for sale that can fit a 16" Wheel Bike.

and why are all the mod bits for the Brompton, Ti etc, only available by mail order from the far East - can't the UK made such parts - what's happened to UK ingenuity?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Kickstand for Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:24:43 pm »
Isn't the kickstand for a Brompton the rear rack?

Other than manufacturing being cheaper in the far east, I think it's down to Bromptons being perceived differently.  Brits tend to see them as a workhorse, whereas abroad they're more of an iconic status symbol.

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:15:49 pm »
Isn't the kickstand for a Brompton the rear rack?

Other than manufacturing being cheaper in the far east, I think it's down to Bromptons being perceived differently.  Brits tend to see them as a workhorse, whereas abroad they're more of an iconic status symbol.

I don't want to kick the rear wheel under every time I park the Bike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:18:39 pm »

Fair enough (especially if you're actually using a rear rack for luggage), but it probably explains why there are so few kickstands available for it.

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:24:36 pm »

Fair enough (especially if you're actually using a rear rack for luggage), but it probably explains why there are so few kickstands available for it.

and I don't have a rear rack

I would think that a normal kickstand can be used/modified - my posting was hoping that someone had done this

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:42:58 pm »
I was wondering if a standard chainstay/seatstay mounted stand might work (obviously cut to an appropriate length).  Google image search lead me to this, which looks promising: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kickstand-for-brompton.216235/#post-4811209

My general experience of kickstands is that they are more stable with the stand towards the middle of the bike (especially if there isn't rear luggage), so this approach might actually work a bit better than one of the axle-mounted options?

Another thought is something like the Click Stand: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58734.0 though that's certainly more faff than folding the back wheel under on an R-type.

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:25:46 pm »
I was wondering if a standard chainstay/seatstay mounted stand might work (obviously cut to an appropriate length).  Google image search lead me to this, which looks promising: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kickstand-for-brompton.216235/#post-4811209

Thanks Kim I saw this, but I think Bike Friday is only a US site - and it is quite an ugly design

My general experience of kickstands is that they are more stable with the stand towards the middle of the bike (especially if there isn't rear luggage), so this approach might actually work a bit better than one of the axle-mounted options?

I agree - on my Kalkoff the centre kick stand works well

Another thought is something like the Click Stand: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58734.0 though that's certainly more faff than folding the back wheel under on an R-type.

There are lots on eBay which are "rear" mounted and for [childrens Bikes - 16"] - the only one that I have seen that I like is the Multi S from Singapore, but it is maybe £65+ ..... and appears to be out of stock in black - plus from what I have read it is probably better just for light use

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:43:06 pm »
In the end I got a Minoura kickstand

but initially it kept fouling the rear wheel/tyre when folded and riding the bike - I solved this with a zip tie which stopped the movement slightly - not an elegant solution but it seems to work

(I know that I need to push the red sleeve fully home!!)

(Update - BikeGang now do a kickstand specifically designed for the Brompton)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:25:10 pm »

I have the rack on mine, when I come to a stop, I just swing the rear wheel under. instant stand...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »

I have the rack on mine, when I come to a stop, I just swing the rear wheel under. instant stand...

J

you can certainly do that even without a rack