Author Topic: box sets!  (Read 5181 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: box sets!
« Reply #25 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:29:59 pm »
I've been forced to watch Years And Years, which was a load of old nonse except for Emma Thompson.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2019, 08:51:18 pm »
Alias, best known as JJ Abrams' breakthrough (he's usually credited with Lost, love it or hate it, though he was really just the producer other than the pilot). A nice romp through all the usual spy tropes and splendid wiggery, which is - of course - precisely what secret agents need. Enjoyable binging.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #27 on: 20 August, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
When we went Netflix last year, the first thing we binge watched were all the series of Narcos.

Violent as heck (hey it's about the Medellin Cartel to begin with, and then onwards) - but it really was pretty good.

Tend to agree that there's not so much I've been *very* into otherwise.  Black Mirror is probably the other one, but then someone's already mentioned that.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

essexian

« Reply #28 on: 20 August, 2019, 11:55:33 am »
Okay....er.... I'm not really sure what a box set is......is it the watching of a number of episodes of a series one after the other? If so I don't really partake but..... over the last couple of weeks I have "taped" from Paramount TV the previous episodes of "House" to watch next morning before CBH gets up/ when she is out at the gym.

The last series I can think I did this to was when one of the minor channels re-run "Roots" a couple of years back. Now, that's a series everyone should watch IMHO.

ian

« Reply #29 on: 20 August, 2019, 12:14:01 pm »
A box set is basically the entire series – it's becoming a bit of an anachronism in the era of streaming since people tend not to acquire a physical 'box set' but as we know MLIR. Once suitably equipped with a box set, the option to binge-watch becomes available. Reminder those days when you had to be ready at 9am on a Thursday night to watch the series of your choice (to be honest, I don't) – now you just cue it up whenever it suits. And well, you've watched one episode and it's midnight, but oh, another episode, go on, the morning isn't for ages. Another episode? Come on, who needs more than 4 hours sleep?

Alias is on actual DVD, I had to find the remote control. It's blimeyly old (2001!) and Bradley Cooper looks about 10. It's quite dangerously addictive as every episode ends on a cliffhanger (and it's so old, I can't usually remember the details from when I first watched). Is Vaughan drownded? OMG Sydney's mum! Sloan, you big murdering meany. What the hell is the big red thing for? Alas, the need to sleep left those questions unanswered...

essexian

« Reply #30 on: 20 August, 2019, 12:20:05 pm »
Thanks Ian. Nope, don't do that! I like my sleep too much!

If I want to watch something when I am not available, I get the Betamax out and tape it to watch it later, or wait a few days for it to come back around as a repeat.

Although thinking about it.... I am currently listening to the Barker and Llewelyn novel series by Will Thomas on Youtube. I am up to book 7: "Anatomy of Evil." I wonder whether this has been made into a TV series. It would work IMHO.

ian

« Reply #31 on: 20 August, 2019, 12:40:41 pm »
We don't have terrestrial or satellite TV (we do have an aerial and a satellite dish at The Asbestos Palace, but they're not connected to anything) nor a TV licence so it's DVDs or streaming. I never watched TV for the first half of my life but I am now in the habit of watching an episode or two of whatever we're binging on in an evening. By the time we're home and finished doing whatever we're doing, it's usually about 10.30pm and time for tea and a bout of TV. I'm never sure how some people manage to squeeze in all the TV they watch, in our house turning the TV on before 10pm is regarded as peculiar. Unless it's my wife watching Glee, in which case, carry on.