Author Topic: Creating routepoints associated with tracks  (Read 2289 times)

Creating routepoints associated with tracks
« on: 09 January, 2009, 11:41:43 am »
Is this possible?

Santa brought me the Etrex Legend HCx I wanted and so far I've sucessfully followed routes with waypoints marked at junctions giving me proximity alarms.

I now have Metroguide arriving shortly, and the dream I have is to be able to plot a track but include way/route points when I need a proximity alarm. The whole benefit of this GPS lark for me is that I can have a map display to see where I am (I like knowing such things) and where I'm going, but also the alarm points for audax routesheet instructions (for instance).

So is it possible to combine a track and routepoints? I have Memory Map (2005) which I've used so far for creating routes & tracks. Do I need to use something else like Bikely etc ie is Memory Map programmed to not do this when it is perfectly possible with other software? Or are Tracks and Routepoints always separate?

Re: Creating routepoints associated with tracks
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2009, 02:42:27 pm »
I'd doubt it's possible, but you could try putting a routepoint in the middle of a short track using a text editor, and see that the HCx makes of it.

sort of like this:
<trk>
<trkpt/>
<trkpt/>
<rtept/>
<trkpt/>
<trkpt/>
<trk>

Get the right syntax from looking at the gpx files for a route and a track

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:22:31 pm »
So is it possible to combine a track and routepoints?

No, but you can achieve the same thing by using a separate track and route simultaneously. This has been mentioned several times in this sub-forum but the relevant posts are buried and I can't dig out any links right now. The simple way is a track and an off-road route with controls as additional waypoints.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:28:45 pm »
Here's what I've posted about this in the past:

idiot Q - using someone elses GPX file

andrew_s: Mapsource chokes on that; violates the gpx XML schema no doubt.

Paul D: Tracks are not interactive, so won't prompt you - but by using a mixture of a track and a route, you can get the desired effect.

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2009, 03:34:45 pm »
Paul D: Tracks are not interactive, so won't prompt you - but by using a mixture of a track and a route, you can get the desired effect.

That's what I'm after. Thanks Chris. I may come back to you for some fine-tuning tips after a play with the sunday club run route at the weekend.  :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2009, 11:01:23 pm »

If you use Trackback you will get prompts from a track - but you don't have the control over the process that you do if you program a route in.  Routes are better - but Tracks are much quicker to prepare - it just depends how anal you want to get.  (I'm not sure what that says if you use both.)

Basically with Trackback any change of direction of more than about 30degrees will generate a prompt.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll