Author Topic: From Cannon Street to Canon Street  (Read 793 times)

From Cannon Street to Canon Street
« on: 03 May, 2019, 03:36:56 pm »
Hello All,

I was wondering if I could ask some advice.

I am on a course in Central London (Cannon Street) for three days next month and I'm thinking of travelling home to Shropshire, by bike in a fairly leisurely fashion over 2 1/2 days, Wednesday evening, Thursday and Friday, possibly overnighting at Banbury and Bromsgrove. I really don't fancy cycling out of London so I am thinking getting a train out to somewhere like Princes Risborough or Bletchley and starting from there.

My knowledge of these areas and the train services to them is non-existent so can any one recommend a good starting point?

Also, I understand that you cannot take bikes on trains out of London between 1600 and 1900. Is that definitely the case?

thanks,
PG.

Re: From Cannon Street to Canon Street
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:38:44 pm »
Looks like you’ll be on a Chiltern Railways service out of Marylebone to start your ride. I can’t help with their bike service but you could check their website or give them a call.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
Looks like you’ll be on a Chiltern Railways service out of Marylebone to start your ride. I can’t help with their bike service but you could check their website or give them a call.

Bikes on Chiltern trains don't need reservations.  First-come-first-served in the space by the accessible toilet.  A bike embargo on trains leaving London between 16:30-1930 applies.

London Northwestern (used to be London Midland) operate on a similar basis, the embargo is 16:00-18:59.

If you're considering Bletchley, Virgin to Milton Keynes might be an option.  No embargo there, but reservations are compulsory.  This is fine, because the only way normal humans can afford to travel on Virgin trains is with advance tickets.

Using a train to get out of London and past the Chilterns is a reasonable strategy.  If you want to avoid cars but not hills, you could catch a train to somewhere like High Wycombe or Berkhamsted instead.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
Another option is to take the Metropolitan line (tube) to Chesham or Amersham. Countryside to cycle in once you get there.

Again no bikes 1600 - 1900 but saves a few quid compared to the train.