Author Topic: Rebecca Romero  (Read 5478 times)

Dave

Rebecca Romero
« on: 29 July, 2008, 08:58:02 am »
Article in the Guardian today.

When Steve Peters describes the characters of his charges as the Great Britain cycling team's psychiatrist he likes dog analogies: Chris Hoy the German shepherd, Victoria Pendleton the golden retriever, and so on. Rebecca Romero, double world champion and potential Olympic gold medallist in the 3,000m individual pursuit, would probably be a greyhound - fleet of foot and a bundle of pent-up nervous energy.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Rebecca Romero
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:22:29 am »
I must admit I hadn't thought of Vicky P as a dog at all...

Wonder what Shanaze is?
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:31:14 am »
I had to chortle. VP is a Golden Retriever? Nice to look at but dim and untrainable?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:48:40 am »
I thought this was a very interesting quote:

Those who ponder what alchemy it is that should bring a raft of medals to Britain's Olympic cyclists - if the form book is anything to go by - need only reflect on Romero's experience once cycling came calling. "I describe it as moving from school to university. In rowing you were told what to do, you didn't have independence. When you move to university you're self-sufficient, you have tutors to guide you, you use their skills and do your own research. Within cycling you are part of the team but also an individual. It's supportive, you are on equal terms, you have a voice. The athlete is at the top of the hierarchy, a whole structure, a whole staff and support team are there as services for you as an athlete. I'm trusted as an athlete."

I wonder what the rowers would have to say?

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:50:23 am »
I wonder what the rowers would have to say?

"Ugh" or whatever they are told to say.

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:55:29 am »
sounds fair to me.  Mate was in the GB lightweight squad and it sounded horrible - they turn up to training, do as they are told then go home and eat what they've been told to eat.  Absolutely no flexibility, the opinion of the athletes was worthless, they just had to 'get with the program' or get out. 

I guess there is common sense behind it - if you're training for a quad (as my mate was), you have to do the same training as the other 3, and having one of the rowers set the program would be a nightmare.

It's also very subjective when they're chosing crews as its hard to prove who moves the boat fastest.  Good erg scores are an indicator but technique has a huge amount to do with it.  My mate won scullers head but was [relatively] rubbish in a crew boat.

« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:56:22 am »

"Ugh" or whatever they are told to say.

Ug. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:52:02 pm »
I must admit I hadn't thought of Vicky P as a dog at all...

Wonder what Shanaze is?

Staffordshire bull terrier?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »
I had to chortle. VP is a Golden Retriever?

Most men here would agree she's rather fetching.
 ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2008, 07:55:14 pm »
Rebecca Romero right to accept ticket to ride - Times Online

I'm pleased to see she's following the grand tradition and posing nekkid on a bike.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:17:30 pm »
Shanaze next, maybe?
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »
Has anyone seen the nekkid picture of Greg Whatsisname the swimmer?
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:39:08 pm »
There's another thread with links to those pics in NSFW.

NSFW: Login
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2008, 03:00:42 pm »
Everyone wants to win, but there is a class of athlete who needs it, their emotional input is higher. Winning is everything. In that meeting, I thought: 'Wow! This is one driven girl!' That was the clincher.”

But check out another personality feature that Hunt and others discovered very soon afterwards, a trait that made them all stand back in amazement. Indeed, it was a trait that was probably definitive in ensuring that this outsider could find the back door into a team of world champions and earn immediate respect: in training, she had an extraordinary appetite for pushing herself to extremes of pain.

Hunt said that it was “worrying”, but only worrying as in “astonishing”.

Good for her for being skilled enough to compete in two very different sports--but this quote shows a lot of what disturbs me in high-end sports. Drive is not enough; an emotional need to defeat others is required. Also, a "worrying" appetite for pain. Reminds me of Tim Hilton writing about Beryl Burton that she essentially frosted her daughter for an entire year after the daughter won a race they were both in. Hilton said something about Burton only being able to relate to people if she had already defeated them. Maybe it's just the result of large amounts of money being invested in "amateur" sports--if you're going to spend millions to wave the flag, a return is expected, and if it takes broken people to get the return, so be it.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:58:32 am »
Everyone wants to win, but there is a class of athlete who needs it, their emotional input is higher. Winning is everything. In that meeting, I thought: 'Wow! This is one driven girl!' That was the clincher.”

But check out another personality feature that Hunt and others discovered very soon afterwards, a trait that made them all stand back in amazement. Indeed, it was a trait that was probably definitive in ensuring that this outsider could find the back door into a team of world champions and earn immediate respect: in training, she had an extraordinary appetite for pushing herself to extremes of pain.

Hunt said that it was “worrying”, but only worrying as in “astonishing”.

Good for her for being skilled enough to compete in two very different sports--but this quote shows a lot of what disturbs me in high-end sports. Drive is not enough; an emotional need to defeat others is required. Also, a "worrying" appetite for pain. Reminds me of Tim Hilton writing about Beryl Burton that she essentially frosted her daughter for an entire year after the daughter won a race they were both in. Hilton said something about Burton only being able to relate to people if she had already defeated them. Maybe it's just the result of large amounts of money being invested in "amateur" sports--if you're going to spend millions to wave the flag, a return is expected, and if it takes broken people to get the return, so be it.

I remember her as just being a tough lady, I would often take her cycling after work before she moved to go to university, sometimes just a social ride but she was never one to moan when the speed increased. We would also often go mountain biking in a group, as is often the case we would not have a clue where we were when it was perhaps a bit too dark for comfort, I recall bombing along following her red light which suddenly disappeared, I skidded to a stop instinctively and peered over the top of a golf course bunker, she had landed face first, spitting blood she just got back on and carried on as if nothing had happened, a toughness that I am sure does no harm when it comes to achieving goals as a world class athlete.

I have to say she was extremely strong on the bike with a lovely smooth style, but I have seen that with many others time and time again, blessed with natural talent is one thing, fine tuning that into being the best you can is another, many just take what they have for granted and do nothing with it; she hasn’t, she realised she had a talent and has worked really hard to see just where this talent coupled with hard graft could take her.

I never noticed anything that back then related to her wanting to defeat others, she seemed to be someone who just seemed to want to get as good as she could and then see where that took her. I am still in contact with her and she never mentions her competitors, just the event itself and how she is always knackered from all the training  ;D. I must add then when she calls into to see me she is the same Rebecca that I always knew, she is still a great girl and it comes accross when you see her interviewed, even if immediately after an event.

I for one will be screaming at the telly come Olympic final day that’s for sure.

Paul_Smith

Rapples

« Reply #15 on: 05 August, 2008, 10:04:31 am »
Rebecca Romero right to accept ticket to ride - Times Online

I'm pleased to see she's following the grand tradition and posing nekkid on a bike.

So where is the link to the VP one (purely for comparitve purposes you understand)

« Reply #16 on: 05 August, 2008, 01:03:40 pm »
almost certainly on here: Vicky Pendleton...oh my
but I'm at work so I won't browse to find it for you  ;D

Rapples

« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2008, 01:46:30 pm »
Nope :'(

Someone posted a link to the B&W one either here or on cyclechat, but I've searched until my wrists are sore for ages and can't find it ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »
great pic of VP & bike in Metro today.
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »
Nope :'(

Someone posted a link to the B&W one either here or on cyclechat, but I've searched until my wrists are sore for ages and can't find it ;D

I remember someone posting this image of Marla Streb as an earlier version of the VP pose, in the same thread

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:15:34 am »
The Annie Liebowitz original of Lance is such an iconic image that it reproduces well - gives a kind of character portrait where the character includes the person's physicality.  Lance is calculating and powerful, Streb is going at it, Romero's coiled, Pendleton is refined.

It'd be an interesting photo project to shoot normal cyclists in this style: "A Bicycle for Leibowitz"  :)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:25:41 am »
It'd be an interesting photo project to shoot normal cyclists in this style: "A Bicycle for Leibowitz:)

;D ;D ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2008, 09:53:20 am »
Surely the pic of Cippo naked on a bike predates the Lance one?
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:16:12 am »
I'm not aware of that.  Linky!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2008, 10:22:19 am »
I can't link that from work!  I'm not even sure if it's on the web (or even just in my misrememberment), but IIRC it was in the mags back in the day.
Getting there...