Author Topic: Tracks on Garmin Foretrex 101  (Read 1342 times)

Tracks on Garmin Foretrex 101
« on: 18 September, 2009, 11:39:20 am »
I have a Foretrex 101, a very simple GPS set.  I can create a route, more properly a journey, on a mapping website and download it to the 101 as a track.  I can then 'navigate' it by using the breadcrumb trail.

However on some junctions it beeps and tells me 'right (or left) turn ahead'.  What parameters does it use to trigger these messages as it certainly nothing to do with the metadata on the track?

Is it just a significant deviation from straight ahead?  It may well do it on sharp bends, I haven't noticed.

Thanks

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Tracks on Garmin Foretrex 101
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2009, 01:36:24 pm »
I also use a Foretrex 101, but I navigate with waypoints. If you find out I will be interested to know! If you open your tracks with a text editor you can see if it is just points or if extra info is in there. If extra info is in there, I will be very interested how you have done this!!!! If it is just points, I presume it is just the GPS looking for sharp turns!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2009, 02:25:31 pm »
I've opened the track that I used last night and there are about 40 'Google Driving instructions' in the text file, for instance:

<trkpt lat="51.4893" lon="-0.28716"><cmt>Slight left at A205/Kew Bridge Rd</cmt></trkpt>

so I guess that is where they come from.

Route was created on Bikehike.co.uk then down loaded direct to the Foretrex as a gpx track (I think!).  I say think because I have a feeling that the download didn't work so I may have downloaded the file and transferred it using EasyGPS.

I compared the comments to the driving instructions you get on Google maps and they are the same!  Interestingly there was a small difference but this was due to the Bikehike route being created in walking mode and the Google one in driving mode.

Panoramix, how do you use Waypoints and what do you use to generate the info?

R

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2009, 05:47:35 pm »
I use the "jwo" technique of one waypoint per routesheet instruction with a code to tell me the move:

for instance:
AA R
AB L
AC E1

Means right (R) then left (L) and first exit at roundabout (E1). AA AB AC are just there to "number" the waypoints.

I don't get on well with the online maps so I use Viking which is a free mapping software. Nevertheless you can't use google maps dataanymore so where openstreet map is a bit patchy, it can be problematic. The good thing with this software is that you can add your waypoints while viewing the track at the same time.

I think that you found out something really interesting with your instructions! My method is very good for not going off route (I have only done a few km extras during LEL) but tedious to implement, so I can see what you have done as a good alternative to input a route quickly.
Chief cat entertainer.